Author Topic: KS i900 Sus seatpost  (Read 1976 times)

nonumbnuts

• nonumbnuts
KS i900 Sus seatpost
« on: 06 October, 2013, 02:53:53 pm »
Brilliant outing this morning. Brisk Autumn morning start then fading to full sun at the end.  ;D
All the mud you want, streams, rocks, brambles, leaves and lots more mud - 'kin great. 40k of sheer fun - well almost...

Half way round the circuit my suspension seatpost KS i900 (adjusted for height by a remote on the bars and not to be confused with a, umm, suspension seatpost which bounces up and down according to terrain), stopped locking out the height.  ???

(Just for info for those not familiar with what I talking about, these posts are not full suspension posts. It's just the height of the seat which is adjustable - down for descending, up for climbing  etc etc).

Before I strip it, anyone out there had the same problem?
I've got the manual which details stripping/re-building/lube etc but nothing with regards the locking mechanism or what can cause this problem.

First thought was the lock release under the saddle was well crudded and possibly jammed but after cleaning everything appears normal except that at the top of travel anywhere in between it doesn't lock, just bounces up and down on the return spring. It does lock in the fully down position but nowhere in between bottom and top of travel.

The website is'nt very helpful for this problem so anyone.

Addition.
*** just studied the component breakdown in the manual and there's no spring inside so it looks like it's locked in position with hydraulic pressure. This would account for it being "permanently" fully up at the moment and just compressing (bouncing) on the hydraulic pressure inside. Maybe it just needs stripping and re-greasing with the special stuff so that's what I'll do. I'll post (no pun intended) if I get it sorted ***

nonumbnuts

• nonumbnuts
Re: KS i900 Sus seatpost
« Reply #1 on: 11 October, 2013, 10:14:24 am »
Information just to wrap up the thread.

There's loads on the net/Youtube with regard to maintaining this make of seat dropper.
(I'll post links if anyone would like them)
The weak point, as with all the dropper posts, is maintaining the pressure inside the inner cylinder. Some posts are completely user serviceable but this one is'nt unless you are a bit of an engineer and/or have access to tools not usually found in your shed (right angle circlip pliers for one).
Normal servicing is easy to carry out but in depth servicing is more complicated.

All is not lost however as it can be fully serviced incl parts for around £70 by "Jungle Products Ltd" of Harrogate.  :thumbsup: