Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1575793 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #900 on: 24 October, 2011, 10:45:58 pm »
Oi, Squeezebox server. You shouldn't need a rescan after an update. It's neither big nor clever  :demon:

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #901 on: 25 October, 2011, 10:26:42 am »
Fax sever!  It's bad enough that you exist at all, but the fact of your having dished out about three thousand e-mails about a "full mailbox" in the past eighteen hours is beyond the wossname.  Pack it in, electrick wankspanner, ere I rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't.

Also, the coffee machine is b0rked.  Spoons!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Jacomus

• My favourite gender neutral pronoun is comrade
« Reply #902 on: 25 October, 2011, 11:54:00 am »
Adobe! When I select 'attach to e-mail...' that is precisely what I want to do. If I actually wanted to use 'Adobe send online' or whateveritsbloodynameis I would click that instead.
"The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity." Amelia Earhart

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #903 on: 25 October, 2011, 01:28:05 pm »
Adobe! When I select 'attach to e-mail...' that is precisely what I want to do. If I actually wanted to use 'Adobe send online' or whateveritsbloodynameis I would click that instead. FTFY

Does Adobe ever need expanding?
Along with Apple and Google in fact! Wankspanners the lot of them!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #904 on: 26 October, 2011, 07:13:44 pm »
I am out of bouillon powder and quite fancied a risotto tonight. I have no money to buy new powder because payday is tomorrow and I am Skinty McSkint. So I thought I would improvise a stock out of white wine, water, bay leaf, pepper and a bit of Marmite. Except I appear to be out of Marmite. If I'd known, I would have got some more.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #905 on: 26 October, 2011, 07:23:02 pm »
I am out of bouillon powder and quite fancied a risotto tonight. I have no money to buy new powder because payday is tomorrow and I am Skinty McSkint. So I thought I would improvise a stock out of white wine, water, bay leaf, pepper and a bit of Marmite. Except I appear to be out of Marmite. If I'd known, I would have got some more.
That sounds a wee bit like the culinary experiment I performed last night. I fancied a spag bol, but the delivery  from $SUPERMARKET wasn't until much later. I found a pack of turkey mince in the freezer and thought 'how bad can it be?'

The answer is 'fucking awful' - one mouthful was all I could stand before tipping the whole lot down the dunny.

Fortunately, the delivery from $SUPERMARKET contained a couple of packs of genuine minced cow, so I'll be doing the job properly tomorrow night (had bacon sammiches tonight 'cos I couldn't be arsed to do anything else)

« Reply #906 on: 26 October, 2011, 08:14:03 pm »
fleaBay seller: Thanks for the full refund. However, advising me to "buy something expensive next time" means you will get negative feedback next time I'm logged in. Your goods were downright dangerous. It was a chip pan & basket & the basket handle sheared off. It was tat of the lowest order. If I knew how, I'd take it further with eBay, as someone could get hurt by your crap.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

barakta

« Reply #907 on: 26 October, 2011, 09:03:01 pm »
Dear Google,

"British" + sign + language +teeshirt should not be giving me whatever the "anti banning some kind of dog breed that uses BSL in the name" teeshirts.

Nor should you be giving me results with American fucking sign language on them as it's completely different and not helpful at all.

The only teeshirt I could find with BSL on it looked a bit too British Flaggy for my liking and was ugly.  So I'll do without!

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #908 on: 26 October, 2011, 09:10:07 pm »
Dear Google,

"British" + sign + language +teeshirt should not be giving me whatever the "anti banning some kind of dog breed that uses BSL in the name" teeshirts.

Nor should you be giving me results with American fucking sign language on them as it's completely different and not helpful at all.

The only teeshirt I could find with BSL on it looked a bit too British Flaggy for my liking and was ugly.  So I'll do without!

The "+" on google searches no longer does what you think it should do. Google has changed it.

What you need to do instead is search for

"british" "sign" "language" "tshirt"

each word in quotes, instead of with the + at the front.

barakta

« Reply #909 on: 26 October, 2011, 10:32:49 pm »
I also tried the quotes thing having re-read the how Google works the other day (bloody stupid if you ask me btw) and I even tried -ASL -bull -dog -american on the quotey version and still nothing.

Sad day when Google stops understanding booleans properly and constantly screws around with its output.  I am increasingly hating Google's searching, and should really make an effort to find An Other decent search engine to reduce my dependence on the evil Google empire.

I suspect the results are also skewed by the teeshirt people being dimwits and assuming American sign is the same as British sign..

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #910 on: 27 October, 2011, 05:17:19 am »
A poor night of sleep*, followed by a day of the road in front of my flat being ripped up (great day to work from home), followed by another poor night of sleep* means I feel absolutely horrible.  No desire to crawl out of bed, never mind go to work, but needs must.  I'm taking the Tube rather than the bike because ICBA right now. *sigh*

* I don't mind fireworks, but can they please finish by 10-11pm?  (except for New Year).
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

gerwinium

• Occasional smug folding bastard
« Reply #911 on: 27 October, 2011, 06:59:42 am »
I'm having post-alcohol bicycle displacement issues, so will have to take public transport to work as well. Hope you feel better soon, Andrij

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #912 on: 27 October, 2011, 08:30:12 am »
Ouch.  Hope your day gets better.

I'll be sorted out quite easily by a quiet, stress-free day and a full night of sleep - so should be fine for Monday morning.  ::-)
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #913 on: 27 October, 2011, 09:16:32 am »
A poor night of sleep*, followed by a day of the road in front of my flat being ripped up (great day to work from home), followed by another poor night of sleep* means I feel absolutely horrible.  No desire to crawl out of bed, never mind go to work, but needs must.  I'm taking the Tube rather than the bike because ICBA right now. *sigh*
I know the feeling.
After spending some considerable time1 thinking about it, I bailed out and got the bus in today. Even the 10 minute walk from the bus stop to work didn't clear my head. Today, I feel, will be one of those days.

1 - Well, about 15 seconds, really.

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #914 on: 27 October, 2011, 09:38:41 am »
The "+" on google searches no longer does what you think it should do. Google has changed it.
Insanely, Google's +helpful1 did-you-mean-to-search-for suggestions still redirect you to searches with + added.

1 did you see what I did there?
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #915 on: 27 October, 2011, 09:39:20 am »
I didn’t sleep properly last night either because my impacted wisdom tooth has decided it is time for another bout of pain. Going to work when shattered and in pain (plus looking a bit like a hamster on one side) is suboptimal.

I’ve finally got an assessment at Kings College dental hospital on Tuesday and then I’ll hopefully get an idea of how long the waiting list is. If it’s too long I may well give Teethgrinder a ring…to slightly paraphrase Shakespeare, tempt not a desperate woman! In the grumble thread because I know it’s hardly life-threatening and there are much worse things to be on an NHS waiting list for…

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #916 on: 27 October, 2011, 09:48:35 am »
Having had a bout of that last week, NSTN, (see upthread!) I don't think I'd recommend waiting till Tuesday. Get an emergency dental appointment for some antibiotics now, or you might be too inflamed for them to do the assessment.

I'd say "I share your pain" but frankly that's the last thing I want to do.
Not especially helpful or mature

« Reply #917 on: 27 October, 2011, 09:51:02 am »
Having had a bout of that last week, NSTN, (see upthread!) I don't think I'd recommend waiting till Tuesday. Get an emergency dental appointment for some antibiotics now, or you might be too inflamed for them to do the assessment.

If only it were possible. If we could all undertake to share someone's pain for a day or so, we'd hardly feel it if there were enough of us...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #918 on: 27 October, 2011, 09:54:58 am »

If only it were possible. If we could all undertake to share someone's pain for a day or so, we'd hardly feel it if there were enough of us...
If it were possible, there'd be some very uncomfortable coloured-pencil flingers on the middle floor of this 'ere building ...

I second the suggestion to get some antibiotics ASAP, though - I've been going through something similar with a tooth that's awaiting root-canal surgery and a couple of days-worth of amoxicillin got things down to the 'bearable' stage. If you want to throw your dentist a curve-ball, ask them if you can bring your root-canal treatment forward ;)

« Reply #919 on: 27 October, 2011, 10:25:10 am »
Thanks guys.

When the dentist referred me to the hospital back in September she prescribed me some Metronidazole in case it flared up again, so I started on them last night, but with each infection it seems to take longer and longer to clear and gets more painful each time, which is why I want the offending tooth out, despite my fear of dentists/needles/hospitals. Also going to buy some shares in Corsodyl, methinks (bleurgh).

I’m even more annoyed because although I’m not a big drinker, I wanted to have mulled wine at a fireworks display at the weekend, which is inadvisable on these tablets…pah. Grumble grumble.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #920 on: 27 October, 2011, 10:44:34 am »
Alcohol + Metronidazole -> Antabuse reaction.
Truly horrible as I understand it.
Don't try.
GWS NSTN!

« Reply #921 on: 27 October, 2011, 11:01:39 am »
Oh I won’t, thanks – as I understand it even drinking the day after you finish the course isn’t advised, the leaflet says 48 hours to ensure it’s all out of your system.

It’s just a pain that it should fall this weekend, as otherwise I’ll go weeks without a drink without even realising.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #922 on: 27 October, 2011, 11:09:46 am »
FWIW, I was given Metronidazole once, and I read the leaflet that came in the box, being the good patient that I can occasionally be.

I don't know if it is still the case, but with lesser strength ABs, the leaflet used to say "It is advised that you should not drink alcohol whilst taking these tablets" (or words to that effect) but with the metronidazole it said something along the lines of "Drinking alcohol whilst taking these tablets will lead to pain, hallucinations and DETH" (paraphrasing, obviously :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #923 on: 27 October, 2011, 03:40:31 pm »
Alcohol + amoxicillin -> no problem if sensible (and not allergic to amoxicillin).
Alcohol + Met -> horribleness
Do not imbibe Winehouse-esque quantities of C2H5OH.

DETH with >400mg/100ml blood is not unexpected, even if sudden and a misadventure.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #924 on: 27 October, 2011, 03:41:16 pm »
Lurgy: I haz it :(