Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3883317 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #725 on: 06 June, 2008, 12:53:50 pm »
I keep meaning to make it to one of the Afterworkers, but have trouble organising myself, and keep arranging stuff for Thursdays forgetting they are on.

Instead I cycled from work to my nan's, where I was meeting my dad before we went for a curry, and me arriving at the door was greeted with 'I see you're on that bloody bike again' (family are convinced I will meet certain death this way) and then 'oh at least you look human now' when I changed back into work clothes for the restaurant.

By their reasoning I must have looked inhuman when I had to get the tube to Clarion's in my cycling gear the day before, but people are used to that as no one batted an eyelid.

« Reply #726 on: 07 June, 2008, 11:58:36 am »
Well yesterday.

Rode for 1h45 taking a longer route from work. It was great and a good exercice as I was carrying my work clothes, some books and my locks back from work on the Pompino. We met with a mysterious Enigma rider who must have taken offence at our pace as he tried hard to catch up with us, overtake without a word, accelerate for 400 m before dying; having omitted the fact that we were still on his wheel. I bet you he was sweaty in his Assos.  ;D The rest of the ride was uneventful, although the last stretch on the path along the river was quite windy. I am out of shape!

Looking forward to tomorrow!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

Jezza

« Reply #727 on: 07 June, 2008, 05:21:24 pm »
Eleven rainy miles round the lanes to post a letter. I've only recently started wearing contact lenses while riding and they make a huge difference in the rain - you can actually see where you are going.

« Reply #728 on: 07 June, 2008, 05:58:19 pm »
One hour outing with Baby G as co-pilot. Great stuff!
Frenchie - Train à Grande Vitesse

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #729 on: 07 June, 2008, 06:11:25 pm »
About 40 miles on the Frankendale fixie, including climbing two of those hills with little chevrons.  Very sore bottom.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #730 on: 07 June, 2008, 06:56:32 pm »
:D

a slightly hungover interval session - 2 x 20 mins with 5 mins recovery between.  Despite the 7 pints of Adnams last night it was the first time ever with both intervals > 20mph, so am chuffed to bits and now feel absolutely awful - a mix of adrenalin, stale beer and chocolate hobnobs.

vince

« Reply #731 on: 07 June, 2008, 07:30:57 pm »
48 miles from the parents' house: St Harmon - Rhayader - Mountain Road - Cwmystwyth - Devil's Bridge - A44 to Llangruig - NCN 81 along the Wye - Marteg Bridge - St Harmon.

A very hilly route, I'm not sure of the total elevation, the weather (bar a shifting headwind) was perfect and the roads very quiet.  8)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #732 on: 07 June, 2008, 07:34:44 pm »
That's a real heavy-duty day's cycling, Vince. Chapeau!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

vince

« Reply #733 on: 07 June, 2008, 08:59:29 pm »
Coming from an old Wales hand such as yourself sir, I'm touched  :) 

« Reply #734 on: 07 June, 2008, 11:06:36 pm »
About 40 miles on the Frankendale fixie, including climbing two of those hills with little chevrons.  Very sore bottom.

I always thought the chevrons pointed the correct direction for cyclists ;).

Today I led our youngest daughter in such a style to lunch at the Coach & Horses at the bottom of Weatheroak Hill, which was her fastest downhill yet (a nice round 180 rpm for me :)). The brewery is currently producing a very nice pale summer beer, which we tested carefully :thumbsup:.

However the route home meant climbing back up, which lead to a real sense of achievement and some extremely tired legs.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #735 on: 08 June, 2008, 12:08:32 am »
A couple of mates and I used to play 'last one into the car park buys the round' at the Coach & Horses.  This meant absolutely hammering it down Weatheroak Hill and leaving the braking as late as possible for the sharp right at the bottom into the car park.
They must have wondered why the guy who bought the beer was always the one who was limping.  :-D
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

vince

« Reply #736 on: 08 June, 2008, 03:40:47 pm »
No ride today. I went out for a run for half an hour, got lost and finally returned some 8 sunburnt miles later  :sick:

Chris N

« Reply #737 on: 08 June, 2008, 03:46:23 pm »
48 miles from the parents' house: St Harmon - Rhayader - Mountain Road - Cwmystwyth - Devil's Bridge - A44 to Llangruig - NCN 81 along the Wye - Marteg Bridge - St Harmon.

A very hilly route, I'm not sure of the total elevation, the weather (bar a shifting headwind) was perfect and the roads very quiet.  8)

Oh man, that sounds great.  Must get back to Rhayader for a ride soon.

cc93

« Reply #738 on: 08 June, 2008, 04:08:45 pm »
Charity ride for British Wheelchair sport from Stoke Mandeville Stadium with many many others

Was greeted at the start by 'are you wellard?' by a quiet forummer on a trice (whose name I totally failed to get, sorry) - that's what you get for wearing your avatar on your shirt.
Was awarded the best shirt of the day by the lady scout leader on Brill Hill, obviously a Sesame Street fan!

Great day out in perfect weather - too perfect as the upper arms were exposed for the first time this year, and are now busy doing lobster impersonations  :(

126k for the day.

alan

« Reply #739 on: 08 June, 2008, 04:09:42 pm »
Bit of a mixture today

two trips to the village this morning (used Marj's Trice :-X)

a leisurely walk on the footpaths through the fields around the village late morning with daughter & grand daughter

an hour on the fixie this afternoon.

vince

« Reply #740 on: 08 June, 2008, 04:16:51 pm »

Oh man, that sounds great.  Must get back to Rhayader for a ride soon.

Let me tell you, it was considerably better than my run. That entailed a long slog along a back road to Rhayader, including a 100m PB when I was chased by three aggressive farm dogs.

We must do Rhayader again - I've promised Herve a return trip to the hills! Maybe September rather than August Bank this year?

GillP

« Reply #741 on: 08 June, 2008, 04:57:11 pm »
Up the coast to Fleetwood, no ferry to Knott End til 12 cos of the tide and it was still only 10 o'clock, so we detoured to Thornton and crossed the river there, meandering back through the lanes and one horrible stretch of main road, through St Michaels, Elswick (where we had a lovely strawberry milk shake at the Bonds Ice Cream parlour) Weeton (too early after Elswick for a pint) and then on to Wrea Green where the timing was perfect for a stop at the Grapes to replenish liquid and salt and then a short ride to home. Lovely  :D

No computer on this ride so no idea exactly how far but TKP reckons 35-40 miles. As we are cycling to York this year we need to get our distances up and we don't have long left  :o

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #742 on: 08 June, 2008, 05:19:38 pm »
First time for a few days, what with gut-rot and all. Essential supplies trip to Waitrose. Felt decidedly queasy as going round shop, but it had the advantage that Waitrose after 4 p.m. on a Sunday has lots of perishables on a discount. Good bread rolls at 10p each, hot cooked chicken at £1.99.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Pete

« Reply #743 on: 08 June, 2008, 05:44:30 pm »
Nothing much to boast of, but wife, son and self completed the local annual charity+funride cycle-fest this morning - along with hundreds and hundreds of others: it was a huge turnout in glorious weather.

As I said, no boasting, except to say it comforts me that I still can do a leisurely forty-mile without prostrating myself, off-form and out-of-condition notwithstanding (my wife opted for the 24).  And the lad - bless him - sprinted off and completed the forty in 2h30 (drinks stops included) - fifth quickest on the day - which is no mean timing considering the heat and the fair number of undulations on the 40 route.  I tell him, he ought to think of doing more serious stuff but he resists that (not the cycling, but the making something competitive of it, I mean).

Of course, this wasn't meant to be a race...  ;)

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #744 on: 08 June, 2008, 05:47:46 pm »
50km this morning. Out at 7am so that I was back home before my on-call started. The south westerley wind is back, after 7 dry weeks the weather looks like it could become wetter soon  :(

« Reply #745 on: 08 June, 2008, 05:50:08 pm »
Yep, 129 miles in 7hours and 7 mins.  Well chuffed with that.
Highclere 200 k event - but it was not a race.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #746 on: 08 June, 2008, 06:17:50 pm »
I went round the block on Mrs Z's bike after cleaning it.  Does that count?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #747 on: 08 June, 2008, 06:24:35 pm »
As surely as my abortive pennyfarthing ride does.  Ow.  :)
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #748 on: 08 June, 2008, 06:28:34 pm »
Just the usual veg shop for me, with a slightly unusual approach by a Salvationist on the way home, why he couldn't stay behind me for all of less than a second at the PCC designed waste of paint and road user unifying point I don't know. I do know however that the bloody icthys symbol does not give the owner the right to overtake with less than 6 inches to spare...

AND NO, I DON'T WANT A BLOODY WARCRY  >:(

« Reply #749 on: 08 June, 2008, 06:32:55 pm »
I went round the block on Mrs Z's bike after cleaning it.  Does that count?

It all counts in my opinion  :thumbsup:

Did 48m today with Chorlton Wanderers to Swettenham and back. Glorious sunshine all day and a new record for us- 6 offs, 4 of us in the ford at Swettenham with 3 down in one comedy wipe-out. I was one of these 3 fallers and I initially thought that I'd popped my shoulder out. Luckily no-one suffered any major damage so no ambulances were required (not always the case with the Wanderers rides unfortunately).
The people in the Swettenham Arms weren't overjoyed when 28 hungry cyclists arrived all at once and several of us squelched around the bar and the garden.
Shoulder is a bit sore now but seems OK- no treatment required except, maybe, a cool refreshing drink in the sun.

"Doctor it hurts if I do this with my arm."
"Well don't do it then."