Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 517573 times)

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #3800 on: 04 February, 2020, 03:03:24 pm »
Team Huggy are planning to ride the classic 2018 route.

Obviously this will mean the ride will finish at the Falcon in Huntingdon during happy hour on Friday evening before a relaxing train-assisted journey home to Mid-Essex  :thumbsup:

The Strangler and Fandango have expressed an interest in joining the team and with no limits on numbers for an alternative arrow, all are welcome.

This works perfectly for my 2020 audax goal of Nil points, Many Pints;D

« Reply #3801 on: 04 February, 2020, 03:25:19 pm »
Will you be continuing on from Hitchin this time or leaving us there ?

It is tradition after all.

The Falcon is worth the extra mileage, it has a fire remember.

Happy Hour should be doable.  We all work better with a goal to aim for.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

Jem

• ACME HR and Diversity officer
« Reply #3802 on: 04 February, 2020, 03:42:15 pm »
Will you be continuing on from Hitchin this time or leaving us there ?

It is tradition after all.

The Falcon is worth the extra mileage, it has a fire remember.

Happy Hour should be doable.  We all work better with a goal to aim for.

I'll be in for the whole thing this time  ;D. The only reason I left at Hitchin was that I thought you were all going on to York and I'd had enough of being soaked by then and my brother was only 10 miles away. I wished afterwards, I stayed and enjoyed the Full Experience. So it's unfinished business.

« Reply #3803 on: 04 February, 2020, 04:11:59 pm »
Are we planning an arrow planning evening?

Was mooted a few weeks ago - distinct lack of enthusiasm! BFC is up for a fixed Arrow I know, but happy to mix things up if there's just the one ACME Team. I'd like to get route planning done and entries off by early March - so a Wednesday evening soon???

I would very interested in an Easter Arrow to York this year. I should be back on my fixed wheel bike for distance by that point, so potentially interested in a fixed or mixed ACME team.

An in-person Wednesday planning meeting might be difficult for me to make due to my work location in west Londonshire but do consider me *interested*.

Nim

« Reply #3804 on: 04 February, 2020, 04:30:05 pm »
I mentioned elsewhere that No 2 son had decided to ride through 6 countries in 5 days.  Needless to say, I have ended up organising everything and will also now be riding as well.

This is the route so far.  Leaving Harwich (country 1) on the night sailing on the 9th July and returning on the night sailing from Hoek on the 14th.

The route is fairly front loaded and attempts to mix covering the distance with sticking to decent surfaces and seeing interesting things.  If anyone can see anything obviously wrong or has any better suggestions, please let me know.  If you have a burning desire to join us, you would probably be most welcome.

Day 1

Hoek to Namur (countries 2 and 3)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31825211

Day 2

Namur to Bastogne (country 4)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31797520

Day 3

Bastogne to Maastricht (countries 5 and 6)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31872864

Day 4

Maastricht to Breda

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31802781

Day 5

Breda to Hoek

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31836959

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3805 on: 04 February, 2020, 06:44:05 pm »
Any interest in this??

Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3806 on: 04 February, 2020, 07:35:59 pm »
Any interest in this??

£1 for bike parking!

Unfortunately I'm riding a penny farthing that day. The ultimate fixie.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #3807 on: 04 February, 2020, 08:30:25 pm »
Yes to Tour of Flanders in Blackmore  :thumbsup:

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #3808 on: 04 February, 2020, 09:04:38 pm »
The Strangler and Fandango have expressed an interest in joining the team and with no limits on numbers for an alternative arrow, all are welcome.
An arrowlet sounds rather fun and train back to London is easy-peasy (assuming no engineering works of course) or of course stay over (assuming this is a Friday outing) and ride the Nederlandse Dubbele the next day.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3809 on: 06 February, 2020, 04:19:15 pm »
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #3810 on: 06 February, 2020, 04:26:06 pm »
I reckon we need to saw one of his legs off and count the growth rings to check his age!

rob

« Reply #3811 on: 06 February, 2020, 04:42:39 pm »
We get a mention at the bottom of this news article which was a nice surprise!   :thumbsup:

OD - is this the chap you were talking about last night?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/cyclist-peter-90-set-for-another-season-racing-1-6501708?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social_Icon&utm_campaign=in_article_social_icons&fbclid=IwAR20oFT-qciiUBVaIApusniPjMlplgscVaquV4qOkr3hmEGrD2ftV82hEtk

Legend.   I saw Pete and Mary at the ECCA lunch on Sunday.   Inspirational people.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #3812 on: 06 February, 2020, 06:09:34 pm »

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3813 on: 06 February, 2020, 07:50:22 pm »
My bike ride today included a trip to the White Hart, Margaretting Tye. I felt it had changed for the worse.

The "specials" boards have been taken from the wall opposite the bar.

Only 2 ales seemed to be available, both on hand-pump. The wide selection of gravity drawn stuff in the tap Room appears to be no more.

The food was, I felt, over-priced and nothing to write home about.

This is the first time I have been in there for a few months.

Am I going to have to patronise The Hoop instead?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3814 on: 06 February, 2020, 08:10:45 pm »
We did the hoop and it was Ok aside from a bit busy, our only complaint was being rushed out to unlock our bikes so they could lock up outside but then hanging around for another 15mins faffing to see we need not have rushed!

Last time we did White H it we were accommodated ok but there was a bit of a lack of beer range. It's a bit gastro now I think.
Regards,

Joergen

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #3815 on: 06 February, 2020, 08:21:34 pm »
My visits tend to be lunch times so no likelihood of them locking the back gates. I went to the hoop about a year ago and it was good. I have always like the WH but was disappointed today. Maybe the MEMW mob might like to go on a fact-finding visit soon?  :)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #3816 on: 06 February, 2020, 09:36:56 pm »
Based on prior lack of beer range, probably not one for a Wednesday...
Regards,

Joergen

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3817 on: 15 February, 2020, 08:15:11 am »
Greetings one and all, please can I remind you lovely people that in a fortnight, that’s Saturday 29th February, I’m having a birthday party!  And you’re invited!  My team of party planners are hard at work so more detail to follow but please block out some or all of Saturday afternoon and evening!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #3818 on: 16 February, 2020, 07:50:55 pm »
If Steve's birthday is 29th February then that accounts for his behaviour. He's actually only 13.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3819 on: 16 February, 2020, 08:12:36 pm »
If Steve's birthday is 29th February then that accounts for his behaviour. He's actually only 13.

Sorry to disappoint, I was actually born on 27th February 1964  :smug:

« Reply #3820 on: 16 February, 2020, 08:21:38 pm »
Is it just me, or does Oscar's Dad's profile picture look more like Carlos than Carlos does?

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #3821 on: 16 February, 2020, 08:39:30 pm »

Sorry to disappoint, I was actually born on 27th February 1964  :smug:

Sorry. 14.

« Reply #3822 on: 16 February, 2020, 11:23:37 pm »
Will have to pick up the pace or not spend quite so long in Witham & Hitchin 'spoons if we're going to make happy hour at the Falcon  :thumbsup:
Hitchin 'spoons is pretty close to home for me...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #3823 on: 17 February, 2020, 06:39:34 am »
I’ve made some arrangements for the ACME Alternative Arrow.  I have booked a (twin) room at the Sandford House Wetherspoons in Huntingdon for the night of Friday 10th April.
My plan is to replicate the 2018 Arrow route via Hitchin, enjoy the hospitality of the Falcon, stay the Friday night, ‘spoons breakfast in the morning then ride home by a TBD route.
If anyone is thinking similar, rooms are currently very reasonable at £39/night, probably similar to a train ticket home on the Friday. ‘Non-muddy’ bikes may be taken in to the room.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Oscar's dad

« Reply #3824 on: 17 February, 2020, 08:34:02 am »
I’ve made some arrangements for the ACME Alternative Arrow.  I have booked a (twin) room at the Sandford House Wetherspoons in Huntingdon for the night of Friday 10th April.
My plan is to replicate the 2018 Arrow route via Hitchin, enjoy the hospitality of the Falcon, stay the Friday night, ‘spoons breakfast in the morning then ride home by a TBD route.
If anyone is thinking similar, rooms are currently very reasonable at £39/night, probably similar to a train ticket home on the Friday. ‘Non-muddy’ bikes may be taken in to the room.

That sounds OK, let me have a chat with Head Office...