Author Topic: What to do with cold & saturated ground  (Read 1813 times)

What to do with cold & saturated ground
« on: 18 March, 2013, 12:18:52 pm »
There are things I want to plant, & dug over beds waiting, but I'm worried about the conditions, & whether I should wait. Any opinions? What might it be OK to stick in regardless, & what should wait until it's a little more clement?
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
Re: What to do with cold & saturated ground
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2013, 02:05:27 pm »
General advice is: better to plant a little late than a little early. It's frustrating. I'm impatient too.
Things like Chinese greens, sobi, mizuna, that kind of thing, are OK to sow now. Lettuce-y things. Carrots maybe. Beetroot, parsnips, onions worth a try (though of course you won't see the parsnips and onions till winter).
Peas are OK with cold but not wet.
Poly tunnels are your friend. Give it a week or so and let's hope the weather warms up properly! :-)

francisbarton

• Francis
  • I've only got one bike, and it's only got one gear
« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2013, 02:06:48 pm »
My spuds are still chitting, they'll be late in this year.

« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2013, 02:24:08 pm »
Yeah, my potatoes don't look ready to plant, so can wait for the soil. I think I'll wait for everything else, as well.

My overwintering onions don't look great, but the garlic appears to be thriving, & the overwintering leeks are fattening up.

I planted some peas early, when it was drier, & they're coming up.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #4 on: 20 March, 2013, 01:52:01 pm »
you could try covering the ground with black plastic, or if you have the money spare get some fancy cloches, the plastic will keep the weeds from getting a head start, just a quick going over with a hoe, and will also get the soil warmed up nice and quick. Also have a look and see what other people are doing on the allotment, mind you that doesn't mean they're right thobut:)