Author Topic: Bike Stormz  (Read 32077 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Bike Stormz
« Reply #75 on: 11 August, 2018, 09:40:03 pm »
Counting bikes is a bit like ancient Greek: one, two, four, lots, hundreds. And if there are ten people on bikes and ten people in ten cars all stationary, it's because the bikes are stealing road space.

TBH I wouldn't like to guess how many bikes are on that video. What's your guess? At least BBC indicated the dubious figure with 'quotes'.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #76 on: 11 August, 2018, 09:46:52 pm »
Nice to see black cabbies entering into the spirit:

@JohnCab17
 19m19 minutes ago
More
Replying to @TfLTrafficNews
Thanks. But any chance u getting police to do something bout these feral pricks so hard working law abiding people can get on with there day #bikestormz

So nice to see cabbies thinking of people other than themselves.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #77 on: 12 August, 2018, 11:04:41 pm »
"How 3,000 teenagers are trying to combat London's knife crime"
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45157728

Philip Benstead

• Cycling4ALL - say No Bike No Life
Should London Cycling Campaign / Cycling UK embrace this?
« Reply #78 on: 13 August, 2018, 12:43:20 pm »
Should London Cycling Campaign / Cycling UK embrace this?

Before The Storm

Philip Benstead B.Env.Sc. (Hons.), NSI

Independent Cycle Campaigner and Cycle Consultant
DfT accredited BikeAbility Instructor / L3 Mechanic
07949801698 cycling4westminster@gmail.com

Re: Should London Cycling Campaign / Cycling UK embrace this?
« Reply #79 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:12:03 pm »
I'm not sure,why you are asking the question, Philip.
My understanding is that these guys are protesting about the use of guns and knives.
Where exactly does that fit in with either of the cycling organisations you've referred to?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #80 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:13:57 pm »
I'm not sure,why you are asking the question, Philip.
My understanding is that these guys are protesting about the use of guns and knives.
Where exactly does that fit in with either of the cycling organisations you've referred to?

Don't you carry a knife?

I have one on my multitool.

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #81 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:15:10 pm »
They are trying to drive youths to embrace getting out and about, using bikes. It isn't "a protest about knives."

It is a good fit for BC and CUK, which seriously need an inclusivity shot in the arm. Cycling isn't just about jolly holidays and olympic podiums.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-lebron-james-interview-about-bicycles-1533561787

https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycleculture/comments/955ree/the_lebron_james_interview_about_bicycles/e3q9o5h/
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #82 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:19:43 pm »
If Cycling UK endorsed it, it would become very uncool. So the young people would find something else to do instead.

bludger

« Reply #83 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:20:05 pm »
Rubbish.

Ban cars.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #84 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:21:01 pm »
Cycling isn't just about jolly holidays and olympic podiums.

No, it's about commuting, obviously.   :facepalm:

« Reply #85 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:26:31 pm »
I obvs misinterpreted the 'Knives down / Bikes up' slogan which appears on their stickers.

I agree with fuaran's take on it. If either of the two cycling organisations were to endorse it, it would lose its unique cachet.

Philip Benstead

« Reply #86 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:27:36 pm »
https://www.cyclinguk.org/sites/default/files/document/2017/10/2017_05_13_mem_arts_approved_at_agm.pdf

CYCLING UK
4. OBJECTS
The Objects of the Charity are to:
4.1 promote community participation in healthy recreation by promoting the
amateur sport of cycling, cycle touring and associated amateur sports;
4.2 preserve and protect the health and safety of the public by encouraging
and facilitating cycling and the safety of cyclists;
4.3 advance education by whatever means the trustees think fit, including the
provision of cycling, training and educational activities related to cycling;
and
4.4 promote the conservation and protection of the environment.

bludger

« Reply #87 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:28:14 pm »
Perhaps then it is the organisations who need to change instead of swerving cycling activities that don't fit in with being middle class or above, then.

When you're in a rough area a bike is a real life saver, it means you can more easily swerve rough patches and easily get out and do productive activities. This is about prevention not cure.

The organisers would be grateful for funding and promotion for their events I don't see any good reason to think someone would be put off by a "supported by Cycling UK" footnote at the bottom of an event webpage.

Ban cars.

Philip Benstead

« Reply #88 on: 13 August, 2018, 01:56:38 pm »
https://s3.amazonaws.com/lcc_production_bucket/files/10663/original.pdf?1464094500
LCC
3. Objects of the Company
3.1 The objects for which the Company is established are:-
to promote cycling for the public benefit in the United Kingdom as a means of
furthering the following charitable purposes:
3.1.1 the promotion of public health,
3.1.2 the promotion of healthy recreation in the interests of social welfare,
3.1.3 the promotion of public safety, particularly on the highways,
3.1.4 the relief of the needs of people with mental and physical disabilities,
3.1.5 the promotion of the conservation and protection of the environment and
3.1.6 the advancement of education
by whatever means the Board think fit, including the provision of cycling facilities,
services, training, educational activities, and lobbying and campaigning in matters
relating to cycling and other forms of transport.

bludger

« Reply #89 on: 13 August, 2018, 02:02:01 pm »
Not really seeing any contradiction here.

3.1.2 the promotion of healthy recreation in the interests of social welfare

Yep.

If we're going to get anywhere with changing this country's motorist-first culture it has to start with outreach from CUK/BC to new blood. Just going "that isn't us" is short sighted and exactly what the anti-cycling lobby wants.

Ban cars.

« Reply #90 on: 13 August, 2018, 02:57:03 pm »
We won't stop it.
Looks to me like they're doing a lot of good but not in the best way.
3.1.6 Perhaps try and get facilities for their skills practice so they have something better (for them) and a safe place to go. Encouraging them to cycle within the law to get around (as they seem to want to) looks like the way to go too.

I saw a few at London Bridge station on Saturday. Probably went a bit off the route of the main bunch. The only thing they did that might be considered wrong was pull a wheelie.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #91 on: 13 August, 2018, 02:59:16 pm »
It can fit in with the objectives but that doesn't mean it fits in with the organisational ethos. Any organisational ethos. Fuaran is right. It's about bikes and it's about knives but it's also, clearly, about doing these things in a slightly anti-society (as opposed to anti-social) way. It's sticking a finger to the man in the black cab (not just the driver). Teenage immortality and wisdom. CUK might want them but they don't want CUK.

« Reply #92 on: 13 August, 2018, 03:16:26 pm »
It can fit in with the objectives but that doesn't mean it fits in with the organisational ethos. Any organisational ethos. Fuaran is right. It's about bikes and it's about knives but it's also, clearly, about doing these things in a slightly anti-society (as opposed to anti-social) way. It's sticking a finger to the man in the black cab (not just the driver). Teenage immortality and wisdom. CUK might want them but they don't want CUK.

I agree.
I just think that offering them something to make it better for them would make them feel that they are a part of society, so wouldn't feel like fighting against it.
Give them a workshop/cafe, job opportunities to fix bikes for good causes as well as their own bikes and somewhere to hang out. Otherwise we just push them aside and refuse them a place in society.
They sure won't change for the better just because we ask them to. I'd expect them to up the anti. They seem pretty harmless as they are now.

bludger

« Reply #93 on: 13 August, 2018, 03:20:08 pm »
Frankly I see worse behaviour than wheelie pulling on many audax rides, including blatant light jumping and openly urinating in park bushes. Anyone else do A Catholic Education? it was a minority but that is no way to represent our community when they're tolerating a hundred cyclists in what amounts to their garden in St Peter's Square. It was only a quid to buy a coffee and use the toilet in the caf round the corner FFS.

I expect if any of these Bike Stormz riders pulled stunts like that there'd be calls to read the riot act, because they're wearing snapback hats instead of lycra.

Ban cars.

« Reply #94 on: 13 August, 2018, 03:25:54 pm »
This has much more info on the culture, including the place where bike fixing happens:
https://www.huckmag.com/outdoor/bikes/bikestormz-movement-cycling-bikelife-survival-london/

While it would be great to use it as a tool to empower people, there's a massive risk of being seen as a grownup showing up at their party and trying to impose some sort of order on them. I don't think it's possible to take something that is clearly a ground-up movement and drop a top down organisation on the top of it. You'd probably get much further by getting RedBull or someone to sponsor it. :)

ian

« Reply #95 on: 13 August, 2018, 03:31:11 pm »
I think that when were teens bombing around on our BMXs we would have completely resistant to any kind of adult involvement, sanction, or supervision. We were teens after all.

Cycling organisations might better spend their time and effort lobbying governments to set policies that make cycling an inclusive and reasonable activity for all rather than trying to latch onto causes that are unlikely to appreciate their involvement.

« Reply #96 on: 16 August, 2018, 04:32:16 pm »

I agree.
I just think that offering them something to make it better for them would make them feel that they are a part of society, so wouldn't feel like fighting against it.
Give them a workshop/cafe, job opportunities to fix bikes for good causes as well as their own bikes and somewhere to hang out. Otherwise we just push them aside and refuse them a place in society.
They sure won't change for the better just because we ask them to. I'd expect them to up the anti. They seem pretty harmless as they are now.

Spot on, TG. This is grassroots stuff. Don’t stifle them , just channel the energy and enthusiasm.
They have taken up bikes to shun the knife culture that’s a pretty good start and they should be applauded not lambasted.

spindrift

« Reply #97 on: 22 December, 2018, 05:25:43 pm »

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #98 on: 22 December, 2018, 05:30:48 pm »
Isn't Oxford Street pathetic? The premier shopping destination in Europe's largest city and it looks like a small town in Eastern Europe circa 1985.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #99 on: 22 December, 2018, 05:47:55 pm »
Clogged full of buses, with people squeezing through on bicycles, it looks a lot like the centre of Oxford.