Author Topic: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists  (Read 369271 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Oiks shouting stuff at cyclists
« Reply #1175 on: 20 April, 2017, 03:02:14 pm »
My response to "Where's your helmet?" is "On the end of my cock."
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #1176 on: 21 April, 2017, 08:12:31 pm »
Riding in ordinary dress on an old MTB taking an order to the Post Office, widish road, passed by a private cab, whose male youff occupant charms me with 'Slow cunt' and a wanker sign.

Weird - no conflict, no slowing of cab, decent pass - and very depressing. What is it about being on a bike that makes a young man shout at an older one for no reason other than bullying?
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1177 on: 21 April, 2017, 08:22:56 pm »
Young men will shout at anything unusual.

Marco Stefano

• Apply some pressure, you lose some pressure...
« Reply #1178 on: 22 April, 2017, 04:07:00 pm »
Good Oik: on a recumbent riding towards Feltwell, 'Sick! Cool bike!' from a couple of young teens, which elicited a grin and a cheery wave.

Bad Oik: riding out the other side of Feltwell, a middle aged woman retrieving her wheelie bin from the verge on the other side of the road, 'You should have a flag on that, you're not very visible.'

Took me a few seconds to realise what she had said to me from 20 yards away, with me on a bike in full sun with a white frame, red and yellow and reflective Arkel rackpack and dynamo lights on front and rear. Since her bin was grey and only about 4 feet tall, it's a wonder she could find it again.   ::-)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1179 on: 22 April, 2017, 05:56:29 pm »
Meanwhile I had the first "What the FUCK is that?!?" of the season...

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #1180 on: 22 April, 2017, 06:04:23 pm »
I had "what is that?" today and a few days ago I had "I like your flags"
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #1181 on: 22 April, 2017, 09:50:52 pm »
We had," aww how romantic" from one of a group of young uns. We were riding Rufus, our tandem trike. He got a compliment back.

essexian

« Reply #1182 on: 01 May, 2017, 07:57:36 am »
Not really sure if this fits here but hey ho....

Yesterday was the annual Katherine House Hospice sponsored cycle rides. There are four routes including a 65 and 45 mile effort. I set off to do the longer ride but the wind was too strong for me so I bottled out and took the easy effort.

Anyway, after about 14 miles, the route of both the longer rides take the riders out from Eccleshall along the back roads to Bishops Offley. Its quite a wide road for a back road if a little lumpy: looking at Strava, I averaged around 14mph including the climb up to the petrol station in the village.

It was here that I heard part of a conversation between a car driver and the marshals at the water stop. The part I heard was the marshal explaining that: "I am sorry, I have no control over the speed of the cyclists." My guess is that the car driver was complaining about the speed some of the fast boys were going.

What made me smile about this was the type of car being driven by the complainant: yes, a BMW M5.  Okay, I am stereotyping here, but not a car known to be driven slowly.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #1183 on: 01 May, 2017, 09:55:56 pm »
Not really sure if this fits here but hey ho....

Yesterday was the annual Katherine House Hospice sponsored cycle rides. There are four routes including a 65 and 45 mile effort. I set off to do the longer ride but the wind was too strong for me so I bottled out and took the easy effort.

Anyway, after about 14 miles, the route of both the longer rides take the riders out from Eccleshall along the back roads to Bishops Offley. Its quite a wide road for a back road if a little lumpy: looking at Strava, I averaged around 14mph including the climb up to the petrol station in the village.

It was here that I heard part of a conversation between a car driver and the marshals at the water stop. The part I heard was the marshal explaining that: "I am sorry, I have no control over the speed of the cyclists." My guess is that the car driver was complaining about the speed some of the fast boys were going.

What made me smile about this was the type of car being driven by the complainant: yes, a BMW M5.  Okay, I am stereotyping here, but not a car known to be driven slowly.

I'd guess he was surely complaining about the SLOW boys speed....
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1184 on: 01 May, 2017, 11:43:34 pm »
I had something that amounted to "What are you doing in the road?" earlier.  For the avoidance of doubt, I was riding a bicycle.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #1185 on: 12 June, 2017, 10:29:13 pm »
Cycling home from Gatwick, having spent a few days in a land where they have presumed liability and drive their cars with unbelievable amounts of care around cyclists, I heard a car approach from behind and slow down as it passed me. I was primed for a rude re-introduction to cycling in the UK. The passenger window was down. The driver spoke:

"That's a really nice bike."

A good end to my trip.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
« Reply #1186 on: 14 June, 2017, 08:14:20 am »
Out the other night going through Stowmarket and heading towards Ipswich when my group, 8 of us going reasonably fast doing chain-gang stylie, went past a bunch of yoofs sitting on MTBs who shouted something derogatory at us (don't know what, too much wind noise). Our collective response was eff off. These lads, not to look small in front of the girls there, I suspect, took exception to this and got on their bikes and chased us, shouting and hollering all the way, for about a mile before eventually giving up. It has to be said they did pretty well for a short while, much to our amusement.

Not that they would have caught us but was wondering what would have happened if they had.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1187 on: 16 June, 2017, 06:10:32 pm »
"[INAUDIBLE] velocipede!" - posh sounding man in a Volkswagen.

« Reply #1188 on: 26 June, 2017, 12:59:39 pm »
Riding uphill a week or so ago, a pair of riders on carbon bling were riding down in the opposite direction.

"it's easier downhill" the leader shouted in my direction.

No 5hit Sherlock!
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #1189 on: 26 June, 2017, 01:04:24 pm »
Some cockwomble at York rally Sat morning 4:15am, at top of voice. 'Hello campers!'
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1190 on: 26 June, 2017, 01:24:06 pm »
Not an oik but a well-intentioned middle-aged woman, in a car waiting to pull out of the side street I'd just turned into:
– [something inaudible but in a polite tone]
– <I look at her quizzically>
– Your light's on.
– [explanation of dodgy switch]
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #1191 on: 26 June, 2017, 01:56:02 pm »
Yesterday at dusk, at the junction of two quiet country lanes, I spied another cyclist, not going anywhere. He didn't appear to have a puncture or any mechanical problem, as he was sitting astride his bike but not moving. He did look lost or as if he was unsure of where to go, where he was, what to do. So I asked him if was ok and his reply was... "Yes, thanks, I'm just blowing my nose!"
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #1192 on: 01 August, 2017, 10:51:46 am »
Shouting by proxy...

The Canary - reading the bottom of the Internet so you don't have to

https://www.thecanary.co/2017/07/31/daily-mail-readers-losing-their-rags-over-cyclists-will-brighten-up-your-monday-images/

ian

« Reply #1193 on: 01 August, 2017, 05:36:55 pm »
I confess I avoid the bottom of the internet, even accidentally dipping below the line on a Guardian article is the mental equivalent of inadvertently stepping in a puddle of someone else's lukewarm piss. With bare feet.

I didn't even want to contemplate the the festering volcano of bile that bubbles away under the bottom of a Daily Mail article. They're not right are they? I dunno, I pity them. Most of us get off on being pleasant and generous people, happy to take a little joy from doing something useful, lending a helping hand. That bunch, well, the epitome of their day seems to be calling people they don't even know a cunt on the internet or wishing them dead or some other odious sentiment. It's pathetic. That's the best they can do.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1194 on: 04 August, 2017, 10:27:49 am »
Shouting by proxy...

The Canary - reading the bottom of the Internet so you don't have to

https://www.thecanary.co/2017/07/31/daily-mail-readers-losing-their-rags-over-cyclists-will-brighten-up-your-monday-images/

Was that the one that compared cyclists to ISIS?  If so, I saw that one courtesy of Wascally Weasel otp after four hours of feeding hundreds of happy, cheerful1 and thoroughly non-murderous LEL riders.  It made me want to kill someone utterly to DETH, namely Paul Dacre.

1: Admittedly they hadn't ridden over Yad Moss even once at that stage.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #1195 on: 06 August, 2017, 03:03:37 pm »
"Idiot"

???

By the driver of a Golf that had just overtaken me 15 feet from a blind left hand bend on a narrow B road.

Yes I was in the primary, mainly to try and give fuckwits behind some idea that his manoeuvre could have been a bit on the risky side. That didn't work then ......
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1196 on: 10 August, 2017, 06:56:40 pm »
"Faaaaassstest ma...oh, woman...on the rooooaaad!"

Not really, no.

essexian

« Reply #1197 on: 27 August, 2017, 08:07:30 am »
I had a van driver tell me to "Smile" yesterday as he drove past me as I stood in a bush on the side of the road to allow his overlarge vehicle to progress down the single track road we were both using.

"Smile".......???? I don't smile when cycling!

« Reply #1198 on: 28 August, 2017, 11:36:24 pm »
Not had shouting in ages. 
In reverse, what (if anything) do you holler out to fellow cyclists when you are on foot or in a car?  Nice bike?
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #1199 on: 29 August, 2017, 09:33:15 am »
I got 'fuckin slapper bitch' from a yoof onna BSO on the towpath yesterday, which was brave considering he was on the water side