Author Topic: Paintjob pr0n  (Read 9603 times)

Re: Paintjob pr0n
« Reply #50 on: 25 June, 2010, 08:39:57 pm »
Or maybe they just fill the dent and put a sparkly spray job over the top  :demon:

That's what they call a blow job innit?

« Reply #51 on: 26 June, 2010, 12:17:55 am »
It's so gorgeous that it's almost more than I can do not to lick it like an oversized lollipop.
Go on. I dare you. Or at least give it a little snog. :P

« Reply #52 on: 26 June, 2010, 12:23:24 am »
Tis very very lovely Aunty C.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #53 on: 26 June, 2010, 11:37:26 pm »
Its crying out for black handlining on the lugs, though!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #54 on: 29 June, 2010, 02:08:32 pm »
SNIP
Or maybe they just cut a middle section out so that the ends can be drawn straight out of the lugs, I s'pose.

Sure but you've still got to get the new tube in.  Replacing a top tube isn't anywhere near as easy as replacing seat stays or chain stays.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #55 on: 29 June, 2010, 02:31:22 pm »
Yes, I did  fit a saddle, replaced the gear cable and sorted out the front shifting
Ah yes, sorry about that. When I had that cable break I moved the front shifter so it would stay on the middle ring, to get me home, & didn't ride the bike again.

and made a vain attempt at reducing the play in the rear hub. Drivetrain is very dirty but since everything basically works I thought I would get a few miles in to get used to it prior to renovation. Anyway, what was left of the rear mudguard came detached when I last rode it a couple of days ago so I reckon it's time for a strip down and full refurb.
Oh no! You're reminding me what a terrible state I left it in. I think that hub needs new bearings, but (as with much else) I was reluctant to spend much money or effort on it with the Enigma already sitting in the house almost ready to use.

Anyway, back on topic: can Mercian match any colour? I'd like to keep close to the original colour of my frame if poss.
Hmm. Dunno. But they certainly do a good range. The 'Leaf Green Pearl' on the website looks fairly similar.

Good luck with the Columbus & Roberts transfers.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

« Reply #56 on: 29 June, 2010, 02:37:07 pm »
The dint creates raised spots at it's edges so you cant make it vanish with out thinning out the tube wall at a place where it has allready been weakened, I seriously doubt a real price difference between replacement and the faff involved with removing a dent - which I still don't consider to be repair but a cover up.

New tube for me.
I don't know what blowing or pulling out a dent would cost, but Mercian advertise £14 for filling (per small dent), where possible*, & £85 for fitting a new top tube.

*I presume they only do it where they think the tube strength is not seriously compromised.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Woofage

• Tofu-eating Wokerati
  • Ain't no hooves on my bike.
« Reply #57 on: 29 June, 2010, 02:53:12 pm »
Yes, I did  fit a saddle, replaced the gear cable and sorted out the front shifting
Ah yes, sorry about that. When I had that cable break I moved the front shifter so it would stay on the middle ring, to get me home, & didn't ride the bike again.
No need to apologise! 'Twas only a 5 minute job. I even rode it myself a few times with only the middle ring (not many hills in Suffolk).

and made a vain attempt at reducing the play in the rear hub. Drivetrain is very dirty but since everything basically works I thought I would get a few miles in to get used to it prior to renovation. Anyway, what was left of the rear mudguard came detached when I last rode it a couple of days ago so I reckon it's time for a strip down and full refurb.
Oh no! You're reminding me what a terrible state I left it in. I think that hub needs new bearings, but (as with much else) I was reluctant to spend much money or effort on it with the Enigma already sitting in the house almost ready to use.

The rear wheel is currently at the LBS having it's hub looked at. Funnily enough, I did apologise to the assistant about the state it was in. She was unfazed: apparently their Newmarket branch often smells of horse sh*t due to the amount collected by bikes that are put in for servicing!

Anyway, back on topic: can Mercian match any colour? I'd like to keep close to the original colour of my frame if poss.
Hmm. Dunno. But they certainly do a good range. The 'Leaf Green Pearl' on the website looks fairly similar.

Good luck with the Columbus & Roberts transfers.

Cheers. I'll post some pics.
Pen Pusher