Author Topic: Recommend a replacement tyre for a Schwalbe Nobby Nic  (Read 3736 times)

Recommend a replacement tyre for a Schwalbe Nobby Nic
« on: 02 July, 2014, 07:57:57 am »
Something happened to the side wall of mine. Nothing obvious on the rim like a dent, or it scraping against a rock or something. Maybe just a spontaneous failure.

I like the grip and the volume of these tyres (2.35). I don't like the feeble thin sidewalls because they just don't stand up to rocky terrain well. I've tried Maxxis Highrollers in the past and they're pretty heavy, expensive and clog easily. What should I be looking at for about £20 a tyre?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: Recommend a replacement tyre for a Schwalbe Nobby Nic
« Reply #1 on: 02 July, 2014, 09:25:23 am »
My goto tyre of this kind has always been Panaracer Fire XC, the wire bead ones can be got for ~£15 and the kevlar (folding) ones for a little over £20 each.  In the hope that we have a good summer I would be swapping to Panaracer Mach SS now, though, as they roll a lot faster and are great on hard pack, just not that good in mud.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #2 on: 02 July, 2014, 04:41:41 pm »
If you want Schwalbe, look for tyres with 'Snakeskin' or 'Double Defense', that means they have tougher sidewalls. Though probably more expensive, a quick search suggests £45 per tyre.
I'd agree Panaracer Fire XC are nice, though I think they are only available in 1.8 or 2.1.
Worth a look at the On-One own brand tyres, they are getting some good reviews, £15.

« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2014, 03:10:44 pm »
Bontrager XR4 look likes a good candidate. On-One are predictably out of stock for their basic model of the smorgasbord tyre, and I don't think I need extra casing reinforcement of the Enduro model at 800g. Tread pattern and volume look good though so I'll keep an eye on their site. Panaracers are too narrow for me.
Thanks for the ideas.

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4 on: 03 July, 2014, 03:16:10 pm »
Bontrager XR4 look likes a good candidate. On-One are predictably out of stock for their basic model of the smorgasbord tyre, and I don't think I need extra casing reinforcement of the Enduro model at 800g. Tread pattern and volume look good though so I'll keep an eye on their site. Panaracers are too narrow for me.
Thanks for the ideas.

Was about to recommend the Smogsabord before I saw your last post, I've got one on the front and it's a good dependable tyre in the mud, even if I have fitted it back-to-front :facepalm:

« Reply #5 on: 04 July, 2014, 11:11:02 am »
Splendid - I'll give the Smorgasbord a go when they're back in stock.

Anyone seen a tyre go like this? I'm surprised that there is no marking on the rim where it failed.