Author Topic: Cyclo-cross video - UK, not Flanders, by jove!  (Read 3198 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Cyclo-cross video - UK, not Flanders, by jove!
« on: 14 January, 2019, 06:51:03 pm »
This is the coolest film* I have ever featured in. See Cyclo-cross in all it's Didcot-flavoured glory! See some very stylish film-making, with quite a cool soundtrack! See MattC in a very stylish retro warm-up jacket!

And it's only 2 minutes, so you have no excuse:

(and there is only about 4 seconds of me, so that shouldn't put you off)

Mark is a lovely guy who makes cool stuff, so I think he deserves the publicity too.

(*mainly because the BBC HGWI1300 film-makers edited out my 2am interview by Loch Ness  >:( )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Cyclo-cross video - UK, not Flanders, by jove!
« Reply #1 on: 14 January, 2019, 07:09:17 pm »
That is super cool.
Saw a few other people I know in that too. :)
I assume you can't record the kids - it would be cool if he has footage or Rachel racing....

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2019, 07:35:14 pm »
Good question  :-\

I have seen pics of the kids on Facebook from various races ... but I wonder if the "pros" have to be a little more careful with the laws? (I stress Mark did this gratis ) Not my area of expertise.

I have a feeling he was still setting up during the kids races, so you're probably out of luck. (If you can't get hold of him yourself, I could ask.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2019, 08:24:16 pm »
He did the Didcot Phoenix one before Christmas as well, and also didn't have the kids. I suspect that's for safeguarding reasons, so I'll leave it...

« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2019, 04:46:19 pm »
This makes me want to do some cross racing again. Next season (as I've said for several years now!)

« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2019, 05:07:18 pm »
There a summer 'cross series I'm planning on going to (same location as the videos above - Didcot). I reckon it might be a fun way to get into it before the mud kicks in!

« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:01:11 am »
Summer 'cross starts today. :)
My MTB is in the car - going straight from work. No idea what I'm doing though, so hopefully I can just get around a few times and keep out of the fast people's way!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 13 July, 2019, 06:56:24 am »
I look forward to your report Duncan!
I may do one of these (although "summer cross" seems a bit of a fraud ;) ), just a shame they clash with our Thursday TTs
(which are considerably easier for a creature of habit to attend)

Gotta link to the dates/format/prices?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2019, 08:04:03 am »
Here's the link: https://www.take3tri.co.uk/events?fbclid=IwAR0XA188-dRx7fooC2-V9xlvmndKgWmBHXnpKPU2z3WGSR5fSoM19vkViN8

The first week was with a fast flowy course with a few technical sections, but you didn't have to get off. Next week will be the same course in reverse, then they will start adding bits until by the end it's pretty close to the winter course. The photographer was there, but I don't think the photos are up anywhere yet.

I enjoyed it. I didn't crash (though I came pretty close a number of times), and I came 22nd out of 24! I need loads of practise at cornering (especially getting weight over the front), and I need to run lower pressures in my tyres. I probably need to sprint-recover a bit more, rather than just pedalling around the whole way! There was an amazing array of bikes, from fully tricked out CX kit, full suspension MTBs, 26" hardtails (like mine), and even a couple of hybrids

bludger

• Randonneur and bargain hunter
« Reply #9 on: 26 July, 2019, 02:17:29 pm »
Had a horrible race last night at redbridge. The earth was rock hard but rutted open like the gates of hell in lethal fissures, so the off road bits were treacherous enough such that delicate handling was required, but made hell by being bounced around like a tennis ball in a tumble dryer. The transition bits across the tarmac were thresholded with deep shingle piles which scared me witless after a nasty crash I had a fortnight ago. Dropped a chain twice (which I think is part owed to my new wheels moving the chain line a bit). Got a bit frustrated and was politely asked by someone to stop swearing quite so much.

In the end limped across the line with a bottle cage actually shaken off my bike, with my right foot clinking off it on every crank. Was warmly encouraged with 'come on tinkerbell' on the way in ;D
YACF touring/audax bargain basement:
https://bit.ly/2Xg8pRD

Ban cars.

« Reply #10 on: 08 August, 2019, 09:43:38 pm »
I did the 'cross again tonight. Sprinted with the randoms at the back of the vets grid and hung on for half a lap. Then realised I didn't have my GPS turned on, and finally, on a tight off camber right hander towards the end of the lap I crashed! While I sorted myself out (and attached the course tape which a previous person had trashed) all the juniors went past!
I grazed my knee and elbow and jarred my shoulder a bit, but no real damage done, so I ended up time trialling around for a while. Then I heard a bell, so I tried to go fast and catch the person in front of me. I caught them, but it turned out the bell was actually for the juniors, so I had to do another lap at that pace! That really hurt, but showed that the TTing bit wasn't as fast as I could go, so next time I shall have to try to do that for the full 50 minutes!

I want to get a cross bike. They are soo much faster on the dry and concretey bits!

« Reply #11 on: 16 August, 2019, 10:48:22 am »
More 'cross again last night. I was in the Vets group (towards the back) on the first twisty section and then the women came flying through (they had much more confidence in my ability to corner than I did!) and meant I ended up off the back. Time trialled my way around for a bit, had an interesting battle with a senior woman (she was faster on some of the course, I was faster on other bits), caught a couple of senior guys and then on the last lap caught the Vet in front of me and passed him over the barriers.
One of the issues I had was passing people in front of me when I'm not going much faster than them. On my MTB I don't have as good a top speed as the proper cross bikes, so I can't pass on the fast bits, and the twistys are tricky without a speed differential (or someone moving over). I don't know what the etiquette is when you are going a tiny bit faster than someone but in the same race - you should have to "fight for position", right?

I really want a 'cross bike.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #12 on: 18 August, 2019, 03:03:14 pm »
I think a certain amount of "elbows" is tolerated. Watch the first very slow corners as the seniors arrive in them - there's not a lot of etiquette on show! To an extent you have to choose your own level of "fairness", as we're not racing for prize-money or a national podium place.

(I know I've been barged out of the way half-way through a V40 race! He ran out of fitness later so I still got him. Nobody spectating seemed remotely surprised by his tactics, so I wasn't too bothered, even though I would never have done the same thing. It's just a bit of fun.)

Bear in mind that you can get this problem even on the same bikes - i.e. a rider with more power/weight vs one with better technicals. Twill ever thus be.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #13 on: 16 September, 2019, 09:28:17 am »
Wessex league autumn/winter cross started yesterday. Not very wintery! Huge turnout - the V40 field was 90 strong! I came 75th, one lap down on the winner. 2 very low speed falls where I washed out my front wheel aside, it was actually a reasonable day for me. I got a bargain Powertap wheel the other day,  so next week I shall have power and stuff, but this week I managed to forget my HR strap, so I was full luddite and had no data except for the GPS speed.
The worst bit was getting home and discovering that the bike cleaner lid had broken and leaked everywhere (thankfully mostly contained by a bag).  ::-)