Author Topic: Tempeh  (Read 1424 times)

Tempeh
« on: 06 February, 2024, 08:00:14 pm »
A while ago, as a change from tofu, I bought a pack of tempeh  to see what it was like.
Then I started googling what to do with it.
It wasn't encouraging.
Apparently it needs to be cut up and steamed for 10 mins or so or it won't take up marinade, so I did that.
And marinaded it as per one of the recipes - oil, garlic, rosemary, lemon zest etc for 24 hours.
Then roasted it to serve with a variety of plain veg.

It was disgusting - I can't describe the texture - a bit like polystyrene soaked in axle grease and squashed solid.
With lumpy bits.
Lesson - google before I buy the latest trendy ingredient.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
Re: Tempeh
« Reply #1 on: 06 February, 2024, 08:18:55 pm »
I love it! have never found the need to steam it before marinading. Love the mealy texture - none of that limp wrist tofu vibe. Great with peanutty gado gado things.

Celeriac, tempeh and crispy kale gado gado
★★★★★
Difficulty: Easy  | Servings: 4

Description:
The key to a good gado gado is the dressing: it should be hot, creamy, sweet and sour all at once, so adjust it until it tastes just right to you before liberally smothering the vegetables.

Ingredients:
1 small celeriac (about 600g) peeled, halved and cut into 0.5cm slices
600g charlotte potatoes quartered
Salt
4 tablespoons rapeseed oil
200g kale ribs discarded, leaves roughly torn into pieces
200g tempeh, cut into 0.5cm-thick slices
For the dressing
150g chunky peanut butter
2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons tamarind paste
2 red bird's-eye chillies chopped
1 tablespoon soy sauce
½ garlic clove peeled and crushed

Directions:
Heat the oven to 200ºC. Put the celeriac, potato, a teaspoon of salt and two tablespoons of oil in a roasting tray, toss with your hands to coat everything in oil, then spread out into one flat layer. Roast for 35 minutes? (longer possibly?), until the celeriac and potatoes have burnished edges.
Meanwhile, prepare the kale. In a large bowl, massage a teaspoon of salt and a tablespoon of oil into the kale for a few minutes, until the leaves start to soften, then set aside while you make the sauce.
Put all the dressing ingredients in a blender with 150ml water and pulse until smooth. (You may need a little more water, depending on the thickness of your peanut butter.)
Spread the kale in a single layer on top of the celeriac and potatoes, then return the tray to the oven for 10 to 14 minutes, turning the leaves halfway through so they cook evenly (and to ensure they don’t burn). The kale is ready when it has started to dry out and is crunchy to the touch. Remove from the oven and leave to one side.
Finally, in a non-stick frying pan over a medium flame, heat the last tablespoon of oil and, when hot, add the tempeh and fry on each side, until golden brown.
To assemble the salad, layer the roast celeriac and potato with the tempeh slices and crunchy kale on a platter, then drizzle over the gado gado dressing and serve.

Notes:
1. Makes about 350 ml of sauce and just right taste wise if using SunPat or some other vulgar palm oil and sweetened PB
2. Edited to increase cooking times from original recipe
3. Trying parsnips instead of celeriac . . . = result = good as ?

Source: Meera Sodha

ian

« Reply #2 on: 06 February, 2024, 09:18:18 pm »
The main benefit of tempeh is that it satisfies any curiosity you may have had regarding the taste and texture of very mouldy soybeans.

« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2024, 08:16:50 am »
Thanks for the recipe Slope, but I tend to agree with Ian, and I'm not tempted to experiment further.
We like tofu, and have several recipes we use a lot,  but really disliked the claggy texture of tempeh.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2024, 11:44:30 am »
We all have our bêtes noire, mine is tripe. Back in the 1970s when every village still had a butcher's shop, my wife fluttered her eyes at our local blood stained big armed animal carver to secure several different species of the stuff. We then spent an entire afternoon and evening cooking it every which way, using all available recipes presented in our extensive cookery book collection, as well as those that could be found in the local Library.

Neither of us could swallow any morsel of it. I can still recall the stench of stewed vinegar (which was a common recipe ingredient of no help) permeating the cottage👎)

« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2024, 12:52:08 pm »
That brings back the memory of my mum boiling tripe and pluck (lungs) in a huge heavy aluminium pan on the hob of a Baby Belling cooker. (1940/50s).
The smell was terrible.

It was for the cats....

« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2024, 02:50:47 pm »
The main benefit of tempeh is that it satisfies any curiosity you may have had regarding the taste and texture of very mouldy soybeans.

Ah, that remionded me of breakfast in Japan. The soya beans were more fermented that mouldy, with a slimy somewhat stringy coating. Oh, and the soft boiled shelled egg was unexpectedy cold.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2024, 03:13:50 pm »
Sounds like Natto. Something I've never ever been tempted to try.

I suspect that many japanese feel the same way about smelly cheeses.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

ian

« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2024, 08:23:15 pm »
I smelled natto, that was really enough. Tempeh doesn't smell of anything, though the texture of lumpy mouldering soybeans packed in fungus is much what you'd expect.

« Reply #9 on: 07 February, 2024, 08:49:27 pm »
Back in the dim and distant, when I was fairly well into whole foods (anyone else remember Danaan's in Southampton?) I tried tempeh. I don't remember particularly disliking it, but I have never repeated the experience, so it can't have been that good.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #10 on: 07 February, 2024, 08:57:28 pm »
Jackfruit anyone?

sam

« Reply #11 on: 07 February, 2024, 08:57:45 pm »
I've tried it, then fled back to [checks notes] limp wrist tofu.

on edit: tempeh. Jackfruit too, but I don't recall what it was like. Is it supposed to wipe your memory after you eat it?

ian

« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2024, 09:41:42 pm »
Jackfruit anyone?

It's alright (as the ripe, sweet stuff, never been sold on the stringy meat-substitute pith though) though buy it ready-prepared, I've seen vendors deal with the entire fruit and it's a messy business. It secretes a latex substance that is extremely difficult to remove from the skin (in some places it's traditional to wash your hands in kerosine).

« Reply #13 on: 08 February, 2024, 08:14:23 am »
Jackfruit anyone?

My son, the chef, goes on and on about jackfruit
"You can make something with it that is exactly like pulled pork!"

"Son, if I want to eat something exactly like pulled pork, I'd eat pulled pork."
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14 on: 08 February, 2024, 08:34:23 am »
Another tempeh fan here. Much better than tofu and a better source of protein. I have never steamed it.

Jackfruit anyone?

Jackfruit is utter crap.

« Reply #15 on: 08 February, 2024, 04:17:34 pm »
Glad I asked!
A couple of years ago, jackfruit was the latest wonder food, but even back then it got very mixed reactions, so I didn't try it.
We have been vegetarian for about 40 years, and are well past looking for meat substitutes and don't miss meat.
Happy to stick with basic foods like veg, pulses, grains, nuts, and we still eat eggs and dairy.
I don't see the point in messing about with food to make it taste and feel like meat.
Most of the vegan/vegetarian food being promoted by retailers is just more highly processed food.
I've just been looking at the website of an evangelical retailer - extolling the virtues of jackfruit being low sodium - and selling it in jars of brine!

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #16 on: 08 February, 2024, 04:43:05 pm »
I happily consume tinned jackfruit.

Tastes nice.

« Reply #17 on: 08 February, 2024, 05:25:44 pm »
Glad I asked!
A couple of years ago, jackfruit was the latest wonder food, but even back then it got very mixed reactions, so I didn't try it.
We have been vegetarian for about 40 years, and are well past looking for meat substitutes and don't miss meat.
Happy to stick with basic foods like veg, pulses, grains, nuts, and we still eat eggs and dairy.
I don't see the point in messing about with food to make it taste and feel like meat.
Most of the vegan/vegetarian food being promoted by retailers is just more highly processed food.
I've just been looking at the website of an evangelical retailer - extolling the virtues of jackfruit being low sodium - and selling it in jars of brine!
This

<i>Marmite slave</i>

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #18 on: 17 February, 2024, 01:16:18 pm »

Here's an idea to change the texture - crumbled Tempeh with sauce and spaghetti/noodles?

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2024/feb/17/vegan-spicy-tempeh-spaghetti-recipe-meera-sodha

Personally I'd use noodles with that kind of sauce and wouldn't be sure about the cheese? But hey, recipes is only templates and suggestions.

« Reply #19 on: 17 February, 2024, 08:58:07 pm »
Jackfruit anyone?

My son, the chef, goes on and on about jackfruit
"You can make something with it that is exactly like pulled pork!"

The one time I've tried jackfruit it was because of that claim, but I reckon there's one major difference.

Pulled pork is nice.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #20 on: 18 February, 2024, 09:54:07 pm »
This, mostly.

As for jackfruit, I've eaten it and quite liked it, but as a fruit.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #21 on: 18 February, 2024, 10:42:47 pm »
I’ve used jackfruit in cooking but not as pretend meat. It’s ok, would have it again, but didn’t love it.

I was thinking tempeh is the stuff you use to make fake doner kebabs but that’s seitan, isn’t it? Don’t think I’ve had tempeh. It’s not high on my to-do list.

Never been much of a fan of tofu either. It’s just so much spongy meh.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #22 on: 19 February, 2024, 10:56:42 am »
Here's an idea to change the texture - crumbled Tempeh with sauce and spaghetti/noodles?

Put the tempeh on a large chopping board, cut it into chunks, then chop it into lentil-sized pieces (or chuck the chunks into a food processor and blitz).

I'd rather just use lentils or another pulse (lot cheaper as well)
And I have to avoid chilli, so recipes that rely on a lot of chilli and garlic to make them interesting are off the menu.

slope

• Current pedalable joys
« Reply #23 on: 19 February, 2024, 11:51:40 am »
I'd rather just use lentils or another pulse (lot cheaper as well)

Totally agree that lentils, especially Puy or brown are ace texturally in dishes like mousaka or lasagne. Actually thinking about it lentils are great in anything :thumbsup:

This is a real fab pasta, lentil and mushroom 'ragu' dish from Rachel Roddy, whose preambles are always as interesting as the recipes -

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2022/feb/21/tagliatelle-with-lentil-and-mushroom-ragu-recipe-rachel-roddy