Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1576053 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #11400 on: 30 August, 2019, 11:39:20 am »
If that ^^^^ was in the possession of this M. le Maire it would have all been nommed en route.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #11401 on: 31 August, 2019, 11:44:25 pm »
I'm supposed to be going off camping next week & can't find my headtorch.  Probably left in my parents loft.  No problem says I.  The trusty mini-maglite in a webbing headband will do the trick.  Well, I've found the headband....  the maglite......... no

Edit 13:19.   Found it & also the Fenix.  Fixed the problem with the Fenix not changing modes as well, so I'll take that one.

Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #11402 on: 01 September, 2019, 09:50:03 pm »
Smoke alarm.  You had a shiny new PP3 a couple of weeks ago.  Why are you going "peep" ?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11403 on: 01 September, 2019, 10:48:58 pm »
Smoke alarm.  You had a shiny new PP3 a couple of weeks ago.  Why are you going "peep" ?

Because, like printers, they were sent from hell to make us miserable.  And occasionally save lives.

« Reply #11404 on: 01 September, 2019, 11:10:08 pm »

Because, like printers, they were sent from hell to make us miserable.  And occasionally save lives.

I've had stereo car & house alarms going off all day as well  :(    Sigh.   I suppose I'd better risk life & limb by standing on a chair & changing the battery again.  Otherwise I'll get no sleep.

« Reply #11405 on: 02 September, 2019, 01:01:51 am »

Do printers *really* save lives?

« Reply #11406 on: 02 September, 2019, 09:55:59 am »
Our smoke alarms have both 9v and AAs. Obviously they run down at different rates. Is there an indication of which is flat?

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11407 on: 02 September, 2019, 09:57:58 am »

If you throw them at zombies hard enough
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

ian

« Reply #11408 on: 02 September, 2019, 12:36:30 pm »
Downstairs loo sprung a leak. I hate leaks.

Anyway, I discovered that having an entirely concealed bog unit may look nice, it's not practical when it breaks (which I knew, but aesthetics trump functionality, or rather I wasn't arguing with my wife after the five weeks she spent choosing a bloody toilet as that would be another five weeks deliberation and what do you think of this one?). Now pieces of bathroom everywhere while the floor dries. Leaky connection from cistern, says a grown-up.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11409 on: 02 September, 2019, 01:45:52 pm »

I expect they may prove useful for forging travel documents in the upcoming fascist regime.

Oh, wait, it's out of cyan.

*exits stage left, pursued by the sound of jackboots*

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11410 on: 02 September, 2019, 01:47:04 pm »
Downstairs loo sprung a leak. I hate leaks.

Anyway, I discovered that having an entirely concealed bog unit may look nice, it's not practical when it breaks (which I knew, but aesthetics trump functionality, or rather I wasn't arguing with my wife after the five weeks she spent choosing a bloody toilet as that would be another five weeks deliberation and what do you think of this one?). Now pieces of bathroom everywhere while the floor dries. Leaky connection from cistern, says a grown-up.

There isn't a Saniflo is there?  Those things are worse than printers...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #11411 on: 02 September, 2019, 02:29:06 pm »
Is a Saniflo one of those things which chops waste up into tiny little pieces before swooshing it down too-narrow waste pipes? If so, it could also save lives by disposing of incriminating evidence in the upcoming fascist regime.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #11412 on: 02 September, 2019, 02:33:41 pm »
Is a Saniflo one of those things which chops waste up into tiny little pieces before swooshing it down too-narrow waste pipes?

Yes.
See also...

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html#saniflo

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11413 on: 02 September, 2019, 02:34:50 pm »
You can absolutely guarantee that evidence, incriminating or otherwise, would block the thing.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11414 on: 02 September, 2019, 02:51:01 pm »
Is a Saniflo one of those things which chops waste up into tiny little pieces before swooshing it down too-narrow waste pipes? If so, it could also save lives by disposing of incriminating evidence in the upcoming fascist regime.
The son of one of my cousins three to do that to his girlfriend, though the lack of saniflo left him with an assortment of kitchen tools and a lot of blood. He’s now residing at Betty’s pleasure.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ian

« Reply #11415 on: 02 September, 2019, 02:58:20 pm »
No, it's a normal toilet, but the plumbing is hidden behind panels and generally inaccessible to individuals of my skill level.

That said, I'm pretty sure it's still a drip-drip-drip which may mean a cracked pan (apparently). That would imply some pretty impressive toileting. Will give it overnight and it ain't dried, grown-up will have to come back.

essexian

« Reply #11416 on: 02 September, 2019, 03:21:18 pm »
Don't talk to me about blocked toilets!

How comes its always my job to unblock them and no one ever tells me their blocked until there is enough, er, poo in them to fertilise 100 acre wood....

I spent over an hour the other day with a high pressure hose on full trying to unblock (I first wrote "unbloke" which also works!) the thing ..... I think I can still smell it....  :sick:

It doesn't help the the plumber who put the loo in didn't put in an inspection hole in the soil pipe so you can clean from one end only..... :facepalm: Why do we employ people who turn up on horseback?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11417 on: 02 September, 2019, 05:11:40 pm »
Son + wife visiting since yesterday afternoon; they're staying for 3 days and already MrsT & I are climbing the walls because their way of life is so different from ours.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11418 on: 02 September, 2019, 07:10:34 pm »
<colleague grumble #743>

Does anyone work with a mumbler? I'm helping out in "P"s team half of the week, and she's driving me mad!

She talks not quite constantly (that might be less annoying), but at least every 2 minutes. I can't tell the difference between the self-commentary, the quiet whingeing about colleagues, and actual questions/instructions aimed at me. I frequently miss stuff that she later declares to be critical information, and I can't get anything done as I'm constantly saying "You what?" or tuning into her mumbling to see if I can get a clue as to the nature.

And ... breathe ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11419 on: 02 September, 2019, 07:41:43 pm »
My colleagues all do that weird mumble-murmur-chat thing. I will engage in active dialogue with them, but otherwise I'll turn my hearing aids off entirely and if they want to say something, they can get my attention and do it properly. It's the only way I can concentrate in the shared office.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11420 on: 02 September, 2019, 11:02:31 pm »
I fucking hate mumbling. Just speak clearly in my direction for fucks sake!
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #11421 on: 03 September, 2019, 06:49:37 am »
I love you people  :-*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #11422 on: 03 September, 2019, 09:35:44 am »
S'funny. Last night we rewatched a film we laughed our legs off at in 1984 and everyone was mumbling.  Can't be our ears.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #11423 on: 03 September, 2019, 10:09:27 am »
In my world everyone should come with name badges and subtitles.
It is simpler than it looks.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #11424 on: 03 September, 2019, 10:15:31 am »
^^^This^^^
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.