Author Topic: Audax pet peeves!  (Read 22882 times)

Brakeless

• Brakeless
Re: Audax grouches and grumbles
« Reply #200 on: 13 August, 2019, 03:48:49 pm »
#2 is unsolicited bad suggestions about controls, route etc.  . . . The best one was the guy who contacted me to let me know that Montys Bar was wholly unsuited to be the finish control on the West Highland 1000k.

I'm afraid I'm in part agreement about Montys. The ride was brilliant but the last place I wanted to be at the end of 1000km was stood up in a cramped noisy bar. I was in and out as quick as I could be. I wouldn't agree with wholly unsuited but it definately wasn't for every ones tastes.
Do let us know what type of final control site you'd prefer for the end of a 1000 with a hors delai time of 2300?
Lots (more than half) of the others (not me) were sitting down. Standing up meant it was easier to get to the food and the bar. Was it noisy? Not for me, but I stayed for a couple of hours, I wasn't "in and out as quick as I could be". Perhaps there was a cacophony of applause for you as you entered.
Hope @bairn again runs the ride again: one of the best around.

Wow. Not everyone drinks or particularly enjoys pubs and bars. But hey ho better not have an opinion if it differs to yours eh.

bairn again

Re: Audax grouches and grumbles
« Reply #201 on: 13 August, 2019, 06:15:53 pm »
#2 is unsolicited bad suggestions about controls, route etc.  . . . The best one was the guy who contacted me to let me know that Montys Bar was wholly unsuited to be the finish control on the West Highland 1000k.

I'm afraid I'm in part agreement about Montys. The ride was brilliant but the last place I wanted to be at the end of 1000km was stood up in a cramped noisy bar. I was in and out as quick as I could be. I wouldn't agree with wholly unsuited but it definately wasn't for every ones tastes.
Do let us know what type of final control site you'd prefer for the end of a 1000 with a hors delai time of 2300?
Lots (more than half) of the others (not me) were sitting down. Standing up meant it was easier to get to the food and the bar. Was it noisy? Not for me, but I stayed for a couple of hours, I wasn't "in and out as quick as I could be". Perhaps there was a cacophony of applause for you as you entered.
Hope @bairn again runs the ride again: one of the best around.

Wow. Not everyone drinks or particularly enjoys pubs and bars. But hey ho better not have an opinion if it differs to yours eh.

My issue with your post was that it was factually incorrect.  securing a finish venue that could guarantee us a reserved seating area in Edinburgh took a great deal of effort as it is extremely rare.

For it to be dismissed by you as somewhere unsuitable where you would have to suffer “being stood” was highly discourteous.  I’ll remind you that the same event offered you an overnight food stop from midnight til 0300 and a bag drop van in Oban that was manned round the clock for your convenience. 

You should have the good grace to apologise. 

Not posting again on this thread. 

Brakeless

• Brakeless
Re: Audax pet peeves!
« Reply #202 on: 13 August, 2019, 07:42:19 pm »
Nothing to Apologise for here Bairn.

You posted that the most 'ludicrously bad suggestion' you'd ever received about your events was the finishing venue at Montys Bar.

I posted that I could see where they were coming from as when I arrived it was busy, noisey and standing room only. Myself and the person I was riding with said to each other 'we're not staying here long' almost as soon as we arrived. I never said it should be changed and made no other comment about your event at all.

Of course the people who enjoy a drink or two had a great time and good on them. I'm sure they told you how great it was but for someone to say it's not for them is never the most ludicrous criticism there can be.

Pubs and Alcohol are not to every bodies taste. It's your choice of venue and that's absolutely fine but taking cheap shots about grammer in posts and signing off with FFS shows a complete lack of understanding on your part so to accuse me of being discourteous is laughable.

It's not a criticism of the event at all so to throw in stuff about bag drops etc is totally irrelevant. The event was excellent and believe me you're efforts really are appreciated.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #203 on: 13 August, 2019, 10:38:46 pm »
I was very tempted by your event next month specifically the campsite option but add two single train fares from / to That London and it becomes a major undertaking, cracking route though I think it's more or less the same as we rode in 2007?

Yes, the outrageous fares are indeed as much of an issue as the timetable. I'm lucky that now I'm back to commuting daily, weekend trains to London are covered by my season ticket.

The route was developed from that ride we did all those years ago, but much refined (and improved, I reckon).

That sounds like just the sort of excuse that I used to hear from my fellow convicts back when I was spending hours on a train every day; "I actually like commuting, it means I get 'free' train travel at the weekend."

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #204 on: 13 August, 2019, 11:21:50 pm »
I'll leave you to work it out during the ample thinking time you get on your commute every day  :)

[Oooh, the post before mine has disappeared.  How intriguing!]

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #205 on: 13 August, 2019, 11:23:57 pm »
Can we have a bit of excellence, PERLEASE!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #206 on: 14 August, 2019, 07:23:41 pm »
That sounds like just the sort of excuse that I used to hear from my fellow convicts back when I was spending hours on a train every day; "I actually like commuting, it means I get 'free' train travel at the weekend."

Hmmm. I’m more of an “I’ve already paid for it so I’m glad of an excuse to use it” kind of person.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Martin

« Reply #207 on: 14 August, 2019, 10:39:39 pm »
I try to avoid going back into London at all at the weekend having spent 5 days working there, I'd much rather enjoy being where I live; but it's good to have a discounted facility to travel by train at other times  :)

Davef

« Reply #208 on: 14 August, 2019, 11:16:44 pm »

And its "standing" not "stood" by way. 

FFS.

I was stood in a bar contemplating the quasi passive voice when some cyclists came in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #209 on: 15 August, 2019, 01:12:32 am »
And its "standing" not "stood" by way. 
FFS.
I was stood in a bar contemplating the quasi passive voice when some cyclists came in.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[OT] This usage is commonplace in some areas.

No doubt it grates with some where it is not.

I would not call this incorrect, as such.

Live and let live!