Author Topic: RIP Derek Fowlds  (Read 2092 times)

fuzzy

RIP Derek Fowlds
« on: 17 January, 2020, 02:34:54 pm »

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
Re: RIP Derek Fowlds
« Reply #1 on: 17 January, 2020, 04:43:45 pm »
 :(

He's a minor claim to fame of mine.  His brother lived on our street in Bedford back in the 80s.  His nephew was in my school in the year above me (and was a right ****)

Anyone involved in Yes Minister has got to be alright.  RIP
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Beardy

• Shedist
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: RIP Mr Derek
« Reply #3 on: 17 January, 2020, 08:57:22 pm »
My wife said "who?"
 ::-)
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #4 on: 18 January, 2020, 01:51:24 pm »
I hadn't realised he was married to Lesley Judd.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #5 on: 18 January, 2020, 10:08:45 pm »
And I didn't know Lesley Judd was married to him.

PS. Who is Lesley Judd?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 18 January, 2020, 10:18:41 pm »

PS. Who is Lesley Judd?

Blue Peter in John Noakes era

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #7 on: 18 January, 2020, 10:38:52 pm »
Yes, I just googled. 1972 onwards. That was the year I left home to go to college, so watched very little telly, and absolutely no children's telly.

« Reply #8 on: 19 January, 2020, 11:28:55 am »

PS. Who is Lesley Judd?

She took over from Valerie Singleton. I still remember the episode where Lesley was introduced, but not obviously so. At the end of the programme I recall they were in the water having been water skiing, and all the regulars said 'See you next week' and so did the newcomer. "Ooo, something's up" I thought.
Rust never sleeps

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #9 on: 19 January, 2020, 12:04:37 pm »

PS. Who is Lesley Judd?

She took over from Valerie Singleton. I still remember the episode where Lesley was introduced, but not obviously so. At the end of the programme I recall they were in the water having been water skiing, and all the regulars said 'See you next week' and so did the newcomer. "Ooo, something's up" I thought.

I used to love it when they did that!  My Blue Peter dream team was Lesley Judd (Phwoar!), John Noakes (my 70s childhood hero) and Peter Purvis plus Shep of course.  I also remember Valerie Singleton and Petra the Dog.

I didn't realise Derek Fowlds was one of Basil Brush's sidekicks.  Basil Brush still makes me laugh  ;D

ian

Re: RIP Mr Derek
« Reply #10 on: 19 January, 2020, 06:26:06 pm »
My wife said "who?"
 ::-)

Never heard of him either!

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #11 on: 19 January, 2020, 07:00:00 pm »
I've just watched the Yes Minister Christmas Special, "Party Games", in which Sir Humphrey becomes Cabinet Secretary and Jim Hacker becomes Prime Minister. Utterly first rate.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #12 on: 19 January, 2020, 07:34:15 pm »
I've just watched the Yes Minister Christmas Special, "Party Games", in which Sir Humphrey becomes Cabinet Secretary and Jim Hacker becomes Prime Minister. Utterly first rate.

They don’t make ‘em like they used to (M’lud).

« Reply #13 on: 19 January, 2020, 07:41:29 pm »
I appear to have completely missed "Yes Minister" despite I suppose being the correct age (55) to have seen it first time around.    ???
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Phil W

« Reply #14 on: 19 January, 2020, 07:47:15 pm »

PS. Who is Lesley Judd?

I used to love it when they did that!  My Blue Peter dream team was Lesley Judd (Phwoar!), John Noakes (my 70s childhood hero) and Peter Purvis plus Shep of course.  I also remember Valerie Singleton and Petra the Dog.

I didn't realise Derek Fowlds was one of Basil Brush's sidekicks.  Basil Brush still makes me laugh  ;D

This is for you then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/bluepeter/lesleypetejohn/video/video14.shtml

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
« Reply #15 on: 19 January, 2020, 09:20:17 pm »
I appear to have completely missed "Yes Minister" despite I suppose being the correct age (55) to have seen it first time around.    ???

It was superb. I trhink you owe it to yourself to dredge them all up on Youtube or, it there are gaps, invest in a boxed set.

Oscar's dad

« Reply #16 on: 19 January, 2020, 11:22:17 pm »

PS. Who is Lesley Judd?

This is for you then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/bluepeter/lesleypetejohn/video/video14.shtml

I can’t make that work on my phone - shame. I’ll have to try on a proper ‘puter.

« Reply #17 on: 25 January, 2020, 09:18:26 pm »

It was superb. I trhink you owe it to yourself to dredge them all up on Youtube or, it there are gaps, invest in a boxed set.

I bought the set a couple of months ago, and have been gradually watching them. Last night I got to this absolute gem, in which Derek Fowlds does a perfect delivery of the punch line.
https://youtu.be/DGscoaUWW2M
(rubbish video quality from the BBC, the DVDs are much better than this!)

I don't recall them struggling to keep a straight face in the rest of the programmes.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #18 on: 26 January, 2020, 11:17:39 am »
We have had all all 5 series on DVD for years. When my wife was still a senior civil servant she used to claim that she watched them for educational purposes. Still, IMO, the most consistently funny sitcoms, right up to the end, and while Nigel Hawthorne got most of the plaudits for his lengthy set pieces, I always felt that Derek Fowlds had some of the best lines, particularly when correcting the PM's grammar or syntax.

I did read an interview with him some years ago in which he came across as quite grumpy about the fact that his two co-stars got so much attention - and MBEs - while he was usually overlooked. It would be sad if that were how he really felt.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?