Author Topic: Racing on antibiotics  (Read 1746 times)

gonzo

Racing on antibiotics
« on: 18 March, 2009, 11:00:13 am »
I've been given a three times daily course of antibiotics to treat an abscess next to my wisdom tooth. This sunday I've got a TT. The dentist says I'm fine to race, my coach disagrees.

The reason why I'm not going straight off with the dentist is that I'm not sure she knows what this race will entail physically. Obviously, they coach isn't as highly medically qualified.

Whose opinion should I go with?

Ta in advance for opinions

Re: Racing on antibiotics
« Reply #1 on: 18 March, 2009, 11:06:19 am »
On what grounds did the coach say 'no' ? does he think it'll cause a blackout or something ? Is the drug on the banned list ? Why not race and see how you go, you can always back off or DNF if you start to feel crap.

I'd believe the dentist and ride if I felt up to it.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2009, 11:19:16 am »
Have a troll round the BNF to see what contraindications there are for the drug you are taking.
It is simpler than it looks.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2009, 11:23:35 am »
Ummm... which antibiotics? They aren't all the same.
How long is your TT? They aren't all the same either!

Do your antibiotics need to be taken on an empty stomach?
When is your TT in relation to your dosage timing?

I'd reckon most should be OK.
There again advice on the internet is a bit dodgy...
 ;) ;D

By the way, hope your abscess resolves soon and good luck with the TT if you do it.
It's probably unwise to race with ongoing unresolved infection anywhere...

Zoidburg

« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2009, 11:34:05 am »
Dehydration is a risk, antibiotics can give you the runs as well.

So you run the risk of

A - Shatting yourself during a race

B - Dropping from dehydration

Gum infections also have the unique side effect of firing infection straight into your bloodstream, this can in extreme cases lead to infection of the heart muscle.

I speak from experience, you will not be at your best and I think your coach is right, dropping out in spectacular fashion and being in a bit of state will not do you any favours mentally either.

I would hold off and take things easy for a little bit, then slot back into your training schedule once the pills are out of your system.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2009, 11:38:45 am »
I'm with ZB here

When you're fighting an infection you won't be firing on all cylinders in terms of TT performance, so it's unlikely to be a great day out, and it just might make you feel a bit crap.

And I don't think that missing one early season TT will impact your training - in fact it's maybe likely to be more beneficial in the long-term to miss it.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #6 on: 18 March, 2009, 12:25:25 pm »
Skip the TT

You must be taking them for a reason- to fight off potential infections.  If you race then your immune system will be depressed.  Which is the opposite effect.

gonzo

« Reply #7 on: 18 March, 2009, 12:44:01 pm »
Right, I'll DNS my first 25miler then.

Thanks as always for the advice and best wishes everyone.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 18 March, 2009, 04:55:04 pm »
I'm with the not doing the TT lot.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #9 on: 18 March, 2009, 05:02:35 pm »
Gonzo, do you really even have to ask the question?  Of course you don't race!!!
Your Royal Charles are belong to us.

Tiger

« Reply #10 on: 18 March, 2009, 05:21:28 pm »
Come on chaps - it is only a boil on his tooth. The professional (medic) sees no reason not to take vigorous excercise. The non-professional (coach) says not.
If you feel physically good - race. If not - don't.  You can always hold the meds in reserve as an excuse if you do badly.
Don't grit your teeth though when you get tired - you would not want to pop that baby in your mouth while breathing heavily - could inhale some effluent and deliver a class A lung infection. Take care.

gonzo

« Reply #11 on: 18 March, 2009, 08:29:38 pm »
The swelling has already gone down most of the way and I expect that it'll have cleared up entirely on the surface by race day, it's just that there may be some non visible consequences lingering. Of course, there's also the fact that I'll be on the drugs at the time.

border-rider

« Reply #12 on: 18 March, 2009, 08:54:01 pm »
Oh, Ok, if it's well on the mend and the event isn't tomorrow then I might well consider it  - I'd assumed it was in full infection mode and you were racing imminently

Just be aware that the drugs & the effects of infection might possibly hamper your performance a bit.  But given what you say I'd not have too many health worries.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #13 on: 18 March, 2009, 09:21:32 pm »
Which antibiotics?
It is simpler than it looks.

gonzo

« Reply #14 on: 18 March, 2009, 09:23:51 pm »
Something along the lines of penicillin (6 letters, starts with a 'c' I think). I'll get a name for tomorrow.