Author Topic: The Good News Thread  (Read 1165321 times)

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
Re: The Good News Thread
« Reply #4500 on: 08 October, 2011, 02:41:13 pm »
Cool re job Boab!  A mean feat in today's climate.  I look forward to %$£$ Excel posts in the rant thread :D

« Reply #4501 on: 08 October, 2011, 02:47:17 pm »
About a year after my mum started a rapid ascent into an extended and disturbing bout of mania, following the diagnosis and treatment of bowel cancer 6 months prior to that, she's been told she will be finally off the olanzapine (hideous but necessary antipsychotic drug) in a month's time. She also appears to be free of cancer.

*happy*

Now this really IS good news.  So happy for your mum and also for you who must have been under huge stress.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4502 on: 08 October, 2011, 03:53:03 pm »
it is a complete double whammy full of WIN, isn't it?  must be such a relief.

my very small good news is that another 4 bin bags and one large box full of stuff has left the den, heading for the charity shop.  there is a small amount of space in my bedroom once more.  better go hoover it later, once the eldestcub is home and can carry the vacuum upstairs for me, really!

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #4503 on: 10 October, 2011, 07:17:32 am »
I spent the weekend in Lewes (the East Sussex one) for my grandmother's 100th birthday tea!

Brenda had sent a card...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #4504 on: 10 October, 2011, 10:05:08 am »
I have just gotten hold of 2*Adult and 1*child ticket for Deer Shed Festival next year, we had such a great time last year that I have booked the tickets without even knowing who is playing!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4505 on: 10 October, 2011, 10:10:25 am »
I've got a bed for the night :). OK it'll be at 35,000' but it'll be flat! Just been upgraded.

I'm on a roll. Another upgrade this morning :)

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #4506 on: 10 October, 2011, 12:16:41 pm »
I JUST GOT A JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To start Monday!

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Might have gone a li'l bit overboard with the ole !! there ::-) )
woo hoo.  only just read this.  hope today lived up to expectation.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

itsbruce

• Lavender Bike Menace
« Reply #4507 on: 10 October, 2011, 05:53:12 pm »
The 70 mile ride I was scheduled to go on tonight has been cancelled because the organiser's cat has been found after a week missing and she has to go collect her.
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked: Allen Ginsberg
The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads: Jeff Hammerbacher

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #4508 on: 10 October, 2011, 08:16:31 pm »
I have a working fridge!  Thank you, Mr Landlord.

It's not new, but it works.  Hopefully there will be a proper new one before the end of the year.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #4509 on: 11 October, 2011, 10:30:20 am »
After 4.5 years, my mouth is no longer full of metal!

Trying to decide which of all the things I haven't been able to eat I should try first!

;D
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4510 on: 11 October, 2011, 11:13:23 am »
Agency are attempting to send someone round to get a second quote for a new boiler.

I assume this means we're getting a new boiler.   :thumbsup:

ETA: Gasman has just been and was more concerned about parking (or lack thereof) than the diameter of the gas supply.  Hopefully this means we won't have to move the Teetering Piles Of Crap.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4511 on: 11 October, 2011, 12:16:23 pm »
I have run Winzip's Registry Optimiser on this 'ere Babbage-Engine and it appears to have hosed all the congealed jam out through the parallel port.  It is now possible to open a Helldesk ticket without having time to go for a fag in the interim.  I hope this state of affairs continues.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #4512 on: 11 October, 2011, 01:11:28 pm »
I have new shoes!

*wiggles toes sensuously*

tiermat

« Reply #4513 on: 11 October, 2011, 01:47:12 pm »
TLD's new passport has arrived! Now I can check in online for our long weekend in Barca :) YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #4514 on: 12 October, 2011, 10:52:47 pm »
i have an appointment with the physio next week  :thumbsup:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #4515 on: 12 October, 2011, 11:09:34 pm »
i have an appointment with the physio next week  :thumbsup:

Excellent news!

tiermat

« Reply #4516 on: 13 October, 2011, 12:53:51 pm »
A week tomorrow I shall be in Barcelona.

In 7 months time I shall be in Puerto Pollensa for a week, and Mrs T has agreed to let me hire a bike whilst there.

\o/

tiermat

« Reply #4517 on: 13 October, 2011, 04:08:01 pm »
The sun is shining

The rain has stopped

It is warming up

I am going on a bike ride tonight, which WILL end with fishfinger sandwiches and beer and chips :)

« Reply #4518 on: 13 October, 2011, 08:54:45 pm »
A good cycle home this evening (apart from the usual idiot overtakes) and I got in to find my first OU tutor marked assignment returned. 94%!!  :thumbsup:

And I can see why the bits I got wrong were wrong (of course this is easy when the tutor has told you what was wrong and written the right working in red), but at least I know what to do/what not to do for the next one.

And I made a delicious chilli for dinner and am now relaxing with a glass of red wine.

Life is good.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #4519 on: 15 October, 2011, 01:09:40 am »
I've got a bed for the night :). OK it'll be at 35,000' but it'll be flat! Just been upgraded.

And they say lightning never strikes twice! Another upgrade :)

Pedaldog.

• Heedlessly impulsive, reckless, rash.
  • The Madcap!
« Reply #4520 on: 15 October, 2011, 01:36:45 am »
Wrapping myself round a glass of Iced "Pepsi Max" and looking for some basic idiots guide stuff regarding Diabetes cos I iz puzzled and slow minded. :'(
You touch my Coffee and I'll slap you so hard, even Google won't be able to find you!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #4521 on: 15 October, 2011, 02:44:07 pm »
I spent the weekend in Lewes (the East Sussex one) for my grandmother's 100th birthday tea!

Brenda had sent a card...

Congrats all round!
Did she get a Minister's card? ISTR my grandmother received one from Harriet when she reached 100.

« Reply #4522 on: 15 October, 2011, 06:04:18 pm »
Hip arthroscopy operation (on Thursday) went well. Not much pain post op and more mobility. :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #4523 on: 15 October, 2011, 06:04:40 pm »
I just had a gloriously hot shower - in fact, a bit too hot so I had to add cold water.

This is magic. It was a sunny, but not especially warm, day and the solar panel gives us a tank full of piping hot water. I reckon we've got about 3 weeks, at the most, before the sun will be too low in the sky, and next-door's chimney will cast a shadow over the panel in mid-afternoon, and then it will be February before we can have lovely hot solar-heated showers again. Until then we'll be relegated to the puny downstairs electric shower - if we can be bothered!  :thumbsup:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #4524 on: 15 October, 2011, 06:41:42 pm »
slong time to go without  ;D   :facepalm:
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.