Author Topic: The Cheap but Not Horrible Wine Recomendation Thread.  (Read 13044 times)

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
The Cheap but Not Horrible Wine Recomendation Thread.
« on: 03 January, 2013, 09:38:19 pm »
Inspired by- erm - me, I wondered if this would be useful.  You know, you just want a bottle of plonk to go with the spag bol.

What do you recommend as not horrible?

I suggest that price must be well below £10 - preferably nearer the £5 - £6 bottom shelf mark.  I bet there are some reasonable bottles out there.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: The Cheap but Not Horrible Wine Recomendation Thread.
« Reply #1 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:39:25 pm »
I had some really lovely Chilean merlot with the Christmas goose at my brother's place. I think it was from T. Esco and cost about £4 a bottle.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #2 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:47:12 pm »
I had some really lovely Chilean merlot with the Christmas goose at my brother's place. I think it was from T. Esco and cost about £4 a bottle.

Chilean Merlot can be delicious if you hit a good one.  A lot of it is really Malbec though and not so nice.  Can you recall the label?  I shall go in search if you have discovered a goodie..

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 03 January, 2013, 09:51:53 pm »

Chilean Merlot can be delicious if you hit a good one.  A lot of it is really Malbec though and not so nice.  Can you recall the label?  I shall go in search if you have discovered a goodie..

Exactly.  If peeps find a decent bottle, we need the exact lable details and supermarket (I assume)
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #5 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:10:01 pm »
I only buy French red wine; any of the Sainsbury's "house" ones are OK.  They vary a bit from bottle to bottle but the Corbieres and Cotes du Rhone have been good.  You can pay 3x the price and get worse, anyway.

I like German Rieslings, which were also cheap because of the relatively low alcohol content (most are under 10%).  However, German wine been squeezed out of the UK market by New World branded wines with of unknown quality (no QbA or AOC here) and it's almost impossible to find a Bereich Bernkastel or even a Piesporter Michelsberg in the supermarket these days.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:12:02 pm »
Jacob's Creek Grenache Shiraz.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #7 on: 03 January, 2013, 10:21:45 pm »
Chilean Viña Maipo is GVFM IMHO.
Red (Merlot and other varieties) , white , rosé can often be had between £4 and £5.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #8 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:03:41 pm »
Tesco Cotes du Rhone wine box .... fab.
Muscadet ... poor man's Chablis.

« Reply #9 on: 03 January, 2013, 11:13:33 pm »
Aldi's £3.69 CdR is surprisingly ok. They often seem to have run out in my nearest store, so I imagine it's been given the thumbs-up in some well-read review somewhere.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #10 on: 04 January, 2013, 07:45:16 am »

I generally prefer Malbec to Merlot....

In that fine I had a nice bottle of Tesco's Finest (or whatever they call their premium range) Malbec

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #11 on: 04 January, 2013, 08:04:21 am »
Tesco Australian Red  is my standard glugging wine. I think its around £4.50 a bottle and probably a bit cheaper if you buy a box ( although not by as much as you'd think )
Owner of a languishing Langster

« Reply #12 on: 04 January, 2013, 08:13:59 am »
I generally prefer Malbec to Merlot....

The Merlot you prefer Malbec to is probably loaded with Carmenere or Malbec.  Chilean labelling has been known to be a little creative, to say the least.  The days of the real bargain are long gone as the supermarket buyers have wised up, but there are still some delicious Chilean Merlots about.  Erruzaziz make some pleasant enough wines.

« Reply #13 on: 04 January, 2013, 08:53:06 am »

« Reply #14 on: 04 January, 2013, 08:55:21 am »
I suggest that price must be well below £10 - preferably nearer the £5 - £6 bottom shelf mark.  I bet there are some reasonable bottles out there.

Drat, 3 weeks of christmas recycling has just been collected.  ::-) £6 French red is usually what I aim for, unless its a special occasion. The local shop does quite a good "Ventoux".

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #15 on: 04 January, 2013, 09:02:46 am »
Another  :thumbsup: for Lidl. As mentioned upthread their CdR is really pretty good and I have got through several bottles over the holiday period. I tried it after someone recommended it on the 'What are you drinking now' thread. Their Rioja is also pretty good.

« Reply #16 on: 04 January, 2013, 04:39:36 pm »
Vinalba 2010 Argentinian Malbec-Syrah.If you can find it in Asda at £5.48 it is a splendid winter drink.
14.5%.A ripe,soft, jammy, beast of a wine.
It never stays on the shelves long.

n
Mal-odorous,liver-spotted, coffin-dodger.

« Reply #17 on: 04 January, 2013, 05:00:29 pm »
Notwithstanding the current argy-bargy, Argentina and Chile do make great value wines imo. The Pinot Noirs from the Casablanca valley are worth picking up if you see them discounted to around £7 in Tescburys and the like.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #18 on: 04 January, 2013, 07:59:47 pm »

May try that, thanks FF.  Grauniad gives it a mention...

The best of the bunch by a country mile were two reds, Morrisons' juicy, exuberant Good Sicilian Red (£13.99, or a bargainous £3.50 a bottle; 12.5% abv), which is made by the thoroughly competent Cantine Settesoli, and Tesco's gutsy, honest Simply Côtes du Rhône (£14.49, or £3.62 a bottle; 13.5% abv). These were the only boxes I'd be remotely tempted by – and only then on price.
  http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/07/wine-boxes-wine-pouches
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #19 on: 04 January, 2013, 08:14:12 pm »
Another  :thumbsup: for Lidl. As mentioned upthread their CdR is really pretty good and I have got through several bottles over the holiday period. I tried it after someone recommended it on the 'What are you drinking now' thread. Their Rioja is also pretty good.

+1 experimented this Christmas not a bad one amongst them.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #20 on: 05 January, 2013, 08:02:15 am »
+1 to Lidl, well worth tge money and more, the Rioja is just lush, as is their "barcelino" trouble is they too drinkable!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #21 on: 05 January, 2013, 11:13:15 pm »

May try that, thanks FF.  Grauniad gives it a mention...

The best of the bunch by a country mile were two reds, Morrisons' juicy, exuberant Good Sicilian Red (£13.99, or a bargainous £3.50 a bottle; 12.5% abv), which is made by the thoroughly competent Cantine Settesoli, and Tesco's gutsy, honest Simply Côtes du Rhône (£14.49, or £3.62 a bottle; 13.5% abv). These were the only boxes I'd be remotely tempted by – and only then on price.
  http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/oct/07/wine-boxes-wine-pouches

That's interesting ... it's been our poison for several years and we've never had a bad box... though I've had many a bad head, but that's my fault!

« Reply #22 on: 06 January, 2013, 03:08:01 pm »
Just picked up a Chablis from Lidl (slightly north of £7 ahem), as I need to stockpile clear bottles now for my intended Chardonnay homebrew. Well, that's my excuse, but even better to discover that the Telegraph writer in Tewdric's link upthread gave it the thumbs-up.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #23 on: 09 January, 2013, 06:25:30 pm »
Notwithstanding the current argy-bargy, Argentina and Chile do make great value wines imo.

These are my default picks at the bargain end, wherever I shop.

We only have tescos/Sains here, so no access to most of the tips above. Also have tiny Coops, whose Fairtrade S.American reds are all good at £4-5  (I think Chilean Shiraz is my most recent?), for those pinko leftys out there.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #24 on: 12 January, 2013, 02:56:31 pm »
The £3.99 Joven Rioja from Leedl is quite superb. If somebody told me it cost a tenner I'd believe them.