Author Topic: New bike lock  (Read 6988 times)

pdm

• Sheffield hills? Nah... Just potholes.
Re: New bike lock
« Reply #50 on: 06 November, 2009, 12:10:38 am »
My son (and I) designed a novel bike alarm system for his DT project last year....
Consisted of a little box that fit under the saddle, easily modified to include a loop through the back wheel.
This had some clever electronics in it, including a motion sensor.
When armed, and then disturbed or contact lost, it would transmit an RF signal to a second box attached to your belt which would then beep at you. If the disturbance stopped e.g. the bike had simply been bumped and was not in the process of being handled, the thing would reset, otherwise, a loud alarm would sound from the unit under the seat and a continuous tone sounded from your belt unit.
it worked quite well, too! RF range about 20-150 metres depending on obstructions.
To be commercial, though, it would need a proper re-design, probably with a PIC logic chip to do the clever bits instead of the analogue circuitry we slung together.....
The whole thing cost us about £50 in parts...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #51 on: 06 November, 2009, 08:16:05 pm »
Well it seems my google-fu is strong, but the bloke has pulled his website (nervouscyclist.org). Shame.

archive.org has it (assuming it's not blocked from your internet connection - my last workplace had it blacklisted presumably since it acts a bit like a proxy).

Bike alarm

Bike alarm 2
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #52 on: 06 November, 2009, 09:01:18 pm »
What's most interesting about that, is the use of an el-cheapo walkie-talkie for the transmitter.  Argos will sell you one for less than £10, which is a lot less than I spent the last time I bought a MPT1340 transmitter/receiver pair, and you additionally get things like antennas and bi-directional operation!
Actually, it is rocket science.