Author Topic: Menthols  (Read 1113 times)

Menthols
« on: 11 May, 2020, 11:57:56 pm »
*I am fully aware of the risks of smoking but...

As a social smoker, menthols were always my favourite.

I have fond memories of chain smoking Marlboro full strength in a pub basement as an underage drinker, and then lighting up a Consulate and it being almost like being given a breathing aid.

The ban on menthol cigarettes comes in in 9 days time. I have half a pack of menthols hidden behind the TV from the last time I was out with my mates while my wife and daughter were overseas in Jan. I'm tempted to sneak out and get a small stockpile just for old times sake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: Menthols
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2020, 12:03:57 am »
The ban on menthol cigarettes

First I've heard of it, good stuff.   :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2020, 01:20:24 am »
It's not just menthols, it's all flavoured cigarettes and tobacco. EU Tobacco Products Directive, covers production as well as sale. Not ownership, so your stash is safe. The idea is to reduce the appeal of smoking to kids. Some US states (or it might be a Federal law, I'm not sure) have done the same for the same reason with vapes.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2020, 07:56:37 am »
*I am fully aware of the risks of smoking but...

As a social smoker, menthols were always my favourite.

I have fond memories of chain smoking Marlboro full strength in a pub basement as an underage drinker, and then lighting up a Consulate and it being almost like being given a breathing aid.

The ban on menthol cigarettes comes in in 9 days time. I have half a pack of menthols hidden behind the TV from the last time I was out with my mates while my wife and daughter were overseas in Jan. I'm tempted to sneak out and get a small stockpile just for old times sake.

... the ad strapline for Consulate "Cool as a mountain stream"  . . . .  (but with added chemicals)

Rob

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2020, 08:27:49 am »
I’m hoping that it will give Ms Beardy the younger the push she needs to quit.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2020, 08:40:05 am »
When I was at university we could buy menthol crystals at the chemists and DIY our smokes. Mind you, that wasn't last week - they'd probably have given us crystal meth if we'd asked nicely.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #6 on: 12 May, 2020, 09:45:55 am »
... I'm tempted to sneak out and get a small stockpile just for old times sake.

Good luck.  A friend smokes only menthols, and is having an increasingly difficult time finding any.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7 on: 12 May, 2020, 11:03:04 am »
When I was at university we could buy menthol crystals at the chemists and DIY our smokes. Mind you, that wasn't last week - they'd probably have given us crystal meth if we'd asked nicely.

we used to drop a few crystals in a bowlful of warm water when you had a cold, clear the sinuses
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #8 on: 12 May, 2020, 11:08:39 am »
A good friend of mine usually smokes menthol fags.
Occasionally she will make rolly-ups. Don't ask.  :hand:
Apparently you can buy menthol tips for them?

« Reply #9 on: 12 May, 2020, 11:11:21 am »
Filters and papers with added flavours are banned too