Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3906730 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24425 on: 29 March, 2021, 04:47:13 pm »
48k loop with paracetamol to test dodgy lumbar/sacroiliac area.  Went quite well despite lack of km this year. 20°C but a bit windy.

Stopped at a municipal water fountain to top up bottle, wish I hadn't.  The tap obviously (in hindsight) hadn't been used for months and the water tasted like something out of a pond. Oops.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #24426 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:15:08 pm »
Yes yes yes !!!!    First time for a proper ride in five weeks since I bust a rib.

Mini just ripped my legs off on very brief 12 mile spin out to Hampton Court and back.

God I'm unfit.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24427 on: 29 March, 2021, 06:24:00 pm »
Commute.

The return an hour ago was gorgeous. Even took my time with a puncture because it was so nice to be out

« Reply #24428 on: 29 March, 2021, 09:55:19 pm »
A very pleasant 70km into the Peak after work, in SHORTS! Lots of other cyclists out.

Would've gone further but a piece of glass caused my front tire to deflate. It's been so long since I've had a visitation that the old patches on my spare tube were manky, so I patched the freshly holed tube. I've bought new inner tubes since returning home.

« Reply #24429 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:05:18 pm »
Another short loop since getting back on the bike. Windy but wonderful. Proper ride on Weds coming up. Looking forward to some warm weather.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #24430 on: 29 March, 2021, 10:21:09 pm »
A 200km DIY audax with plenty of headwind on second half.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24431 on: 30 March, 2021, 06:53:43 pm »
30 miles with hills, 1hr 55.  Got puncture 50 yards before home.  Result.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #24432 on: 30 March, 2021, 06:54:16 pm »
Yes. Absolutely gorgeous weather. Not very far and wasn't particularly impressed as had four vehicles driven far to close to us on the trot but then a chavved up corsa stayed well back and then exemplary overtake and set the tone foe the following cars

Got stuck in the traffic round Boreham due to A12 being shut but got through better then the cars. Then took to the pavement once out of town as wasn't room for cars to pass and we didn't want to hold up the traffic

One slight panic when an environtec van decided to pull out to pass a parked car ignoring me coming down TMNH at a fair pace

Also mashed up a hill as had a loads of cars behind due to the A12 being shut and was chasing down a friend. The guy who followed me up thanked me for the tow at least

« Reply #24433 on: 30 March, 2021, 07:03:28 pm »
Glorious day to be out. First ride this year in shorts and short sleeves (at least without longs and windproofs over the top). I'd placed a click and collect order for some stuff I needed to complete a DIY job I'd been working on this morning. As I was about to set off, I got a call saying one of the bits was out of stock, but would be on the delivery due in a couple of hours. At that point there seemed nothing else to do but change and go for a ride instead (but not to pick the stuff up, didn't fancy pulling the trailer through the town)
Only 21km doing a loop around some of the local villages, and it was surprisingly hard work; I'm still not 100% after the 5G upgrade on Friday. But still great to be out, especially as it wasn't a commute with a loaded down bike.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #24434 on: 30 March, 2021, 07:09:39 pm »
Yes. Got 200m down the road, realised that a day's worth of gardening on Monday had totally aggravated the arthritis I have in an old motorcycle injury, turned round and went home - and ingested a several of ibuprofen. I shall try again tomorrow.

« Reply #24435 on: 30 March, 2021, 07:15:34 pm »
Only 21km doing a loop around some of the local villages, and it was surprisingly hard work; I'm still not 100% after the 5G upgrade on Friday. But still great to be out, especially as it wasn't a commute with a loaded down bike.

Chapeau

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24436 on: 30 March, 2021, 08:04:54 pm »
Mitts and 3/4s, Yay.  The less said about my fitness the better.

« Reply #24437 on: 30 March, 2021, 08:51:39 pm »
About 28 miles with bjorn notp, slough, Windsor, slough, uxbridge, gu canal to harefield then along the lanes to Denham and tatling end black Park slough. Very pleasant ride although I was forced off the road by a lorry who was determined to pass me on  a single lane section of road with a traffic island on the short section of a40 attatling end. Fortunately I was able to escape onto the footpath but he missed me by inches. I have definitely got play in the bearings of the bafang motor. If it cannot be repaired then I will probably go back to non assisted riding. It's a lot of money to replace the whole motor unit which is now roughly  3 years old and last year I covered considerably fewer miles year than normal. I may be slower but the transmission will last longer   :)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #24438 on: 30 March, 2021, 10:05:07 pm »
Not today. Got a massive thorn right through tyre yesterday and by this morning the spare tube I had put in had deflated.

« Reply #24439 on: 31 March, 2021, 09:14:12 pm »
Glorious evening weather - so headed out to Richmond park on my 20 mile (ish) loop.

I had 4 days of rest after the 100 mile ride at the weekend so my legs were full of beans. I went off like a scalded cat, and kept going like a scalded cat!

It was great fun.

I took the Triban which has taught me so much about bike geometry: I love every mile on the Triban - it is so engaging and lithe. It's also a pain in the arse with toe overlap, but with 28mm tyres and a redshift shock stem I think I might have tamed overlap AND stopped pins and needles in the hands on longer rides (120km+)

Compared to the Elan it has none of the panache, or ease of pace of a sports grand tourer in the style of classic jags: In fact the Elan doesn't feel very fast, but that is because the perception of speed is hidden by its sumptuous comfort. And that is much more important on the big distances.

The Triban on the other hand reminds me of an old school hot hatch - it's not very sophisticated, and it isn't very comfy: But it has an eagerness and exuberance that makes every mile a real engaging joy. You smile through your broken back, and vibration ruined vision.

rogerzilla

« Reply #24440 on: 02 April, 2021, 03:14:12 pm »
We did about 35 miles on fixies.  Headwind wasn't as bad as expected, tailwind wasn't as good.  It was very cold.  We're still doing the flask and sarnies thing, because we're not on stripped-down bikes yet and it costs £14 for two drinks and rolls at the cafe!

« Reply #24441 on: 02 April, 2021, 03:28:41 pm »
Which café? Linwood & co?

« Reply #24442 on: 02 April, 2021, 03:29:21 pm »
A loop out with another couple (how strange is that) for a climb up Ranmore, stop for coffee at the old Citroen van and then down Critten Lane and home via Cobham.

It is beautiful out there.

Stopped to help a chap with a fantastically smart looking and brand new Spesh with carbon everything but unremovable tyres. I let him and my pal wear their thumbs out and dived in at the end to provide fresh thumbs and take the hero plaudits. His gas inflation failed too and I was able to use the Lezyne steel braided hose I bought just last week. How satisfying is that.

Poor sod had been at it for 20 minutes getting nowhere before we helped him. He was ever so grateful.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24443 on: 02 April, 2021, 08:14:26 pm »
First ride for a while. Only 20kms but we had a rendez-vous at 11 which limited the time a bit. Very cold (for Limoges in march), ice on the grass. I am trying to get enough enthusiasm to get out of bed early and do a bit before breakfast and today was very encouraging. Finished at the bakery to fetch my pain au raisins and the bread. For some reason the gps only recorded 16mins static time which for 2 photos and the bakery seems very little to me.

This was the first real outing of the Peugeot Course converted into 650B tourer. When you want something to carry touring luggage very occasionally and want to avoid N+1 for marital peace (and because there isn't any more space in the garage) this is my solution. A few luxury spendy bits (dynohub and front light) and more essential items (the R559 brakes, nutted version, which came from Taiwan; it's nice to be able to stop, an activity a bit lacking in the last iteration of this machine). All in all quite satisfactory. Just a few loose ends to finish (rear light, bottle cage, computer, maybe new rings and a 14-34 5sp freewheel in place of the 6sp 14-28, but the jury is out on that one!)

Thanks for the pics, how nice to see the Limousin again. One day I will be back..

My first ride out - into York - for ages on the shopper.  Legs a bit slow to start because I'd done 3 days of quite hard Zwift rides but they warmed up and I made good progress in the light traffic. 

30 mins moving; 21.2 km/h; 10.61 km; 67metres climbed; max speed 38.7 km/h (must have been down the 67m).

Now I have got the British Eagle down from the wall ready for more outdoor adventures when the kitchen is at last finished in a few days.
Move Faster and Bake Things

rogerzilla

« Reply #24444 on: 02 April, 2021, 08:19:29 pm »
Which café? Linwood & co?
No, just the Cotswold Water Park one.

« Reply #24445 on: 02 April, 2021, 08:24:20 pm »
Eww. That's a bit steep. Linwood & Co do great vegan sausage rolls, couple with a good coffee is £7. I sat outside the one in Fairford last week and met, by chance, two different groups of people I knew.

« Reply #24446 on: 02 April, 2021, 09:14:06 pm »

No, just the Cotswold Water Park one.

I don't ride to the Cotswold Water Park anymore.  Not since 2008, when I saw this:

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5510.msg94127#msg94127

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24447 on: 03 April, 2021, 03:20:10 pm »
90 km or so with a couple of mates. This included Barhatch Lane (liberally coated with Steep), Newlands Corner (scenic), Staple Lane (ditto) and Crocknorth Road (rude chevron).

Sossidge butty at Newlands Corner, socially distant BEER at home. All good.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

« Reply #24448 on: 03 April, 2021, 06:55:53 pm »
Longest ride ever for me - 112 miles out to Winslow and back.

https://www.komoot.com/tour/341545720

Highlight was massive cake in Quainton - the first time my eyes were actually smaller than my stomach: It didn't last a minute.

And a friendly Labrador in Cholesbury who ambled over to say hello, then made off like a thief with my sandwich!

A nice day out on the bike in the cold.

I really bonded with the Elan on this ride - I initially thought it was a bit heavy and the handling ponderous: I added 7kg of drinks, tools and stuff to a bike - so evidently I'm not that bothered with weight. And dropping the bars made a big difference to feeling control - we had a hoot descending down some rough stuff today.

rogerzilla

« Reply #24449 on: 04 April, 2021, 03:58:05 pm »
Malmesbury and back on fixies.  42 miles.  We really weren't trying today but somehow managed to average 14mph.