Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3813970 times)

Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #24475 on: 11 April, 2021, 07:57:16 pm »
150km around the Peaks, so 3000m of climbing. Sheffield, Ashford, through Sheldon and over Brierlow Bar then up a gorgeous lane that went from Glutton Bridge up to Axe Edge - the sides were coated in snow, the road was clear for the most part

Coffee, pizza slice and cake at Flash Bar Stores

Then through Grindon, down into the Manifold Valley and up Larkstone Lane

yes, up there

From there we returned via Hartington (more coffee and a massive OTT donut), Monyash & Bakewell. Splitting at Grindleford so I could ride up Fiddlers Elbow in the snow (no photos, too tired).

« Reply #24476 on: 11 April, 2021, 08:00:12 pm »
^^^ Great pictures

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #24477 on: 11 April, 2021, 11:35:44 pm »
Nope but I managed a 12 min leg test on the turbo without too much problem.
Hadn't bothered getting changed so wasn't pushing any further.

Could tell how much I've lost in the last 5 weeks  ::-)

« Reply #24478 on: 12 April, 2021, 08:12:32 am »
150km around the Peaks, so 3000m of climbing. Sheffield, Ashford, through Sheldon and over Brierlow Bar then up a gorgeous lane that went from Glutton Bridge up to Axe Edge - the sides were coated in snow, the road was clear for the most part
That brought back memories. I have the proud claim of having come last twice in the Buxton Mountain Time Trial at this time of year - used to run on Good Friday I think. It went twice round a circuit of Axe Edge - Glutton Bridge - Brierlow Bar. That was around 1980 though.

« Reply #24479 on: 14 April, 2021, 05:48:56 pm »
Decided to take a long lunch and go out on my bike with a nice picnic. I have a new handlebar bag/mount that I made a couple weeks ago that needed testing anyway.

Of course after being lovely sun all morning the moment I put my bike kit on it clouded over. Got out to the resevoir and it wasn't really warm enough but I resolutely ate my picnic anyway. With my waterproof jackets and gloves on. Quickly.

The moment my rubbish hit the bottom of the bin? Yeah, you guessed it. Sun came out.

Still that's another 27 miles onto the tally and the bag & mount worked fine. Saves me buying a bag actually designed for that mounting system when I had enough odds and sods around to cobble something together.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24480 on: 14 April, 2021, 06:23:38 pm »
Took advantage of the Northerly so headed South and kept going until we got to Horsham down delightful lanes South of Dorking through Holmwood and Rusper. Then onto the train home. Gorgeous.

Only slight problem was that the direct way in to Horsham was properly blocked off so we had to ride the dualled A264 and A24. There's some pig ignorant and vindictive bastards behind steering wheels out there.

A bit crap that there was no signed alternative provision for cyclists.
1.Next time drop in for a socially distant cuppa.
B. The closure is lifted at the end of the week.
iii. You could have headed west on the A264 a short way then taken the pedestrian path bit and back on your route.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24481 on: 14 April, 2021, 06:30:21 pm »
A v short dash up the Worth Way this lunchtime on the Bendy Bike. Nothing out of the ordinary there, but it was made more pleasant by:
A man cheering me on as I gave it some beans
A nice chat with a bloke gathering wild garlic
That best sort of cycling, the Wobbly Small Child out on their first adventure accompanied by  Slightly Worried Parent.

« Reply #24482 on: 14 April, 2021, 06:36:22 pm »
Took advantage of the Northerly so headed South and kept going until we got to Horsham down delightful lanes South of Dorking through Holmwood and Rusper. Then onto the train home. Gorgeous.

Only slight problem was that the direct way in to Horsham was properly blocked off so we had to ride the dualled A264 and A24. There's some pig ignorant and vindictive bastards behind steering wheels out there.

iii. You could have headed west on the A264 a short way then taken the pedestrian path bit and back on your route.

Bugger. Didn't think about that. Roughly where are you ?
Mrs hatler worked out the pedestrian path bit when we got home.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24483 on: 14 April, 2021, 11:08:40 pm »
I'm in Pateley Bridge for the week and spent the day riding a bunch of tracks across Rocking Moor down to Cavendish Pavilion (still expensive at the café, though the coffee's alright) up Hartlington Raikes and round Grimwith Reservoir, then an evening loop up the back of Greenhow. Some pics: https://twitter.com/deanclem/status/1382454725023563779?s=19

« Reply #24484 on: 15 April, 2021, 12:27:58 am »
Lovely!  I'm guessing you went back through Appletreewick?  If you could see through the red mist on the climb out of Barden, is the old, old oak tree still on the corner of the junction to Storiths?  Have you ever done the ford at Storiths?  I think it's on Spring Into The Dales but I'd have to check.

« Reply #24485 on: 15 April, 2021, 09:50:44 am »
Yeah, back through Aptrick. The back road from Storiths was closed and I had to nip back up the main Wharfedale road and re-cross the river at Barden. Can't say I spotted the tree, and I was saving my red mist for the Raikes!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #24486 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:38:27 am »

Bugger. Didn't think about that. Roughly where are you ?
Mrs hatler worked out the pedestrian path bit when we got home.
Warnham, so just outside the 'sham.

« Reply #24487 on: 15 April, 2021, 10:50:14 am »
Warnham, so just outside the 'sham.
Noted.
Rust never sleeps

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #24488 on: 17 April, 2021, 02:02:32 pm »
About 47 miles on the Moulton.  Yes, I am mad enough to make a frankenhub out of two different SA models, build it into a wheel, make it fit an OLD 10mm wider than was dreamed of when it was made, and then just go out and ride it.  It was impeccable - didn't even spray oil all over the rim.  Moultons are still slow, though.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #24489 on: 17 April, 2021, 04:13:25 pm »
Trailer to the farm store this morning for dog food, then off to the tip this afternoon with a couple of old gas cylinders. Now sitting here with a mug of tea and toasted hot cross bun.

« Reply #24490 on: 17 April, 2021, 04:18:47 pm »
A short ride to the shops.

I bloomin love my Elan - it is so comfortable.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #24491 on: 17 April, 2021, 04:54:29 pm »
Yes, first proper ride for 4 weeks! I've been suffering with vertigo, as a result of the AZ covid jab. According to the GP, that is a fairly common side effect, especially in people like me who have previous for vertigo. So we've upped the anti-vertigo meds to the max, and I'm now able to get out again! An 18km loop to the west of York - not much, but it's a start!  :D
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #24492 on: 17 April, 2021, 07:51:26 pm »
75km via Lambourn & Berkshire downs.  Sun!  Actually longest ride of the year.

Blowingstone Hill before it crosses the Ridgeway - looking over to Shrivenham & Lechlade ish.

PXL_20210417_121809073 by a oxon, on Flickr

Great run down towards lambourn

PXL_20210417_122529474 by a oxon, on Flickr

Heading up towards the Ridgeway South of East Hendred...

PXL_20210417_142721924 by a oxon, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #24493 on: 17 April, 2021, 08:10:47 pm »
That is a bit of the country I very much want to ride around - looks great.

This ridgeway looks in great condition after a long run on dry weather?

« Reply #24494 on: 17 April, 2021, 08:48:28 pm »
All pretty dry at the moment (AFAICS).  That pic is actually before ridgeway, over Kilman knoll Down, here.

There's some mean flint as the track gets to where the Ridgeway crosses, but my Paselas held up OK. 

This is looking along the actual Rideway, East - from the car park (above East Hendred)

PXL_20210417_143605740 by a oxon, on Flickr

The route
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #24495 on: 18 April, 2021, 09:18:02 am »
Yesterday, one of the hardest rides I've ever done: only 66k & 660m climbed, but vicious icy NE wind that managed to wrap around the hills and come at you from any direction it felt like. Legs still sore today. This is the view up on top of our wee bit of the Vosges du Nord, looking towards the Vosges proper in the distance. Difference: "top" for us is around 400 metres, but for them it's well over 1000.

I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #24496 on: 18 April, 2021, 12:33:06 pm »
Five of us on what is becoming for Mrs hatler and me a bit of a Sunday morning tradition. A morning loop into the Surry Hills. Lodgebottom Lane we know that loop as. It's gorgeous out there. And one of the five included mini, who's fast realising that if he is to successfully complete his 200 mile day later this Summer he needs to up his mileage.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #24497 on: 18 April, 2021, 01:00:51 pm »
Simple loop. Gorgeous day, bit cold initially tho but.  Loads of cyclists out and about. Had to take the (heavy) tourer as the rear valve core end stem on my road bike decided to snap following pumping up the tyre. I have therefore had to order a valve core extract tool , which I hope arrives quiickly and does the job. Changing the tube will be a bit interesting if it doesn't. This was the first ride using 35mm Vittoria graphene based tyres which seem to roll well enough and I imagine they will be very comfy fully loaded. Whilst eating a sandwich in a churchyard had a convivial chat about local history with the owner of what was 17th C village pub. Came back through our local market town which seemed very busy. Rugby teams were out in force playing matches with the usual blocking of joint use footpath by associated vehicles. Also, can't really understand why people are happy to queue down the street in order to to eat a pub meal but there we go, it makes the world go around I suppose.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #24498 on: 18 April, 2021, 01:23:40 pm »
Lumpy club run today.
Bit of an ask after yesterday's bike-run-bike effort.

Feeling it now: ankle a bit grumbly.

John Stonebridge

• Has never ridden Ower the Edge
« Reply #24499 on: 18 April, 2021, 04:36:14 pm »
I set off at 1500 Friday for what should have been a DIY 300km audax ride featuring a loop of 205km back home and the remaining 95km thereafter.

Out to Bridge of Allan on the north side of the Forth for sun kissed fish and chips and onwards to Dunning and back to Auchterarder for a hot drink before the shops closed at 2200.  The ride up from Dunblane to Dunning was sensational with the sun setting on a lovely clear day.  I was hoping that one of the 3 petrol stations at Cambus, Grangemouth and Bo'ness on the way home might be able to provide a hot drink even if only via hatch service.  No chance - the coffee machine was out of service (cleaning) at Cambus and the two subsequent petrol stations were closed. 

My saddle (Brooks B17) had been creaking a bit throughout the ride and I learned why at the 162km mark near the Powfoulis Hotel.  Crack went the tension bolt and sag went the saddle.  Hmm, it was after midnight, I had an awfy saggy saddle and I was still over 40km from home.  Dark thoughts of breaking lockdown rules by heading to my nephews house under 5 miles away came and went. Id taken a down jacket with me for use while stationary so I decided to put it on and continue home slowly.

Riding in the dark always takes a kilometre or two off my speed and intermittent honking added another dimension.  I arrived back home on 205km at around 0330 bitter cold with my arse in tatters.  My original plan had me home at least an hour earlier.  I had a bath (ouch!) and set the alarm for 0500 forcing myself to make a conscious decision on whether to head out for the final 95km which Id have until just before 12 noon to finish. 

I didn't really fall asleep and it was a no brainer to stay put when the alarm went off. 

New tension bolt ordered. 

I live to fight another day. 

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/65698148