Author Topic: Tribute Audax: 200, 100 and 50km rides from Reading on 27 Apr 2024  (Read 15925 times)

Re: Tribute Audax: 200, 100 and 50km rides from Reading on 03 Oct 2020
« Reply #25 on: 30 September, 2020, 11:45:14 pm »
There's an interesting point on Gatehampton Road after Goring, where the GPX track bifurcates. The road route (which I think is what's on the route sheet) runs via a private road that's a bridleway at first, but only a public footpath later according to the map. The more southerly alternative is an "Other route with public access" (i.e. exact status unclear). The bridleway appears to go off across fields in a not very promising (for road bikes when it's been wet) way to another farm.

Anyone with local knowledge want to give the gen? Is it a permissive route or something? Looks a really good road to ride - bet there's not much traffic :thumbsup:

« Reply #26 on: 01 October, 2020, 08:05:03 am »
There's an interesting point on Gatehampton Road after Goring, where the GPX track bifurcates. The road route (which I think is what's on the route sheet) runs via a private road that's a bridleway at first, but only a public footpath later according to the map. The more southerly alternative is an "Other route with public access" (i.e. exact status unclear). The bridleway appears to go off across fields in a not very promising (for road bikes when it's been wet) way to another farm.

Anyone with local knowledge want to give the gen? Is it a permissive route or something? Looks a really good road to ride - bet there's not much traffic :thumbsup:

If it's where I think you mean, keep left up Primrose Hill. It is tarred all the way, though there is a gate by the farm at the top of the hill (which you can get round by going on the verge). I'm not sure of the legal status of this road, however it used to be one of my commute variants and I have never had an issue.

There are actually three routes possible here, if you don't mind a bit of offroad. If you go straight on at the left hand bend at the bottom of the hill it is a bridleway, but so overgrown I couldn't recommend it. There is an earlier right fork which takes you along the Thames path to Whitchurch: this is OK in good weather except for one very steep dip (which has steps). But I don't think we are going to have good weather, so I'd use Primrose Hill.

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #27 on: 01 October, 2020, 09:07:12 am »

Never had any problem riding up that road in 10+ years. Please be respectful; and dismount and walk around the gates. Alternatively, take a diversion at 94.2km in your route/ routesheet and go straight on the gravel path which will circumvent the farm and gates and joins futher up the same road as shown below.  :)

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #28 on: 01 October, 2020, 09:08:50 am »
I did a route check for the 200 km last weekend, great route. The organiser is one of the most kind and considerate people I have met in any context. I hope riders enjoy the day as much as I did.

Very kind words, much appreciated. Thanks to you too for route checking  :thumbsup:

« Reply #29 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:09:28 am »
I've cycled the Gatehampton farm route including footpath road before (not on audax); nice. 
I think this is it...  (possible more photos via cycle.travel)
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2325993 (with OS map location)

Also done the bridleway track ('below' /south) near Hartslock reserve - definitely a track - good fun though (downhill!).
OS loc'n:  https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=38580e48-a2db-4293-8e18-8650de4327e1&cp=51.512944~-1.116412&lvl=16&style=s&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

IMG_20190324_101702771 by a oxon, on Flickr

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #30 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:50:52 am »
Newbie question, but are the questions for each information control provided on the brevet card we are given at the start?

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #31 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:54:45 am »
Newbie question, but are the questions for each information control provided on the brevet card we are given at the start?

Yes that right Tom  :)

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #32 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:57:37 am »
I've cycled the Gatehampton farm route including footpath road before (not on audax); nice. 
I think this is it...  (possible more photos via cycle.travel)
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2325993 (with OS map location)

Also done the bridleway track ('below' /south) near Hartslock reserve - definitely a track - good fun though (downhill!).
OS loc'n:  https://www.bing.com/maps?osid=38580e48-a2db-4293-8e18-8650de4327e1&cp=51.512944~-1.116412&lvl=16&style=s&v=2&sV=2&form=S00027

IMG_20190324_101702771 by a oxon, on Flickr

Ta Andy.

The alternate garvel path is definitely ridable as I have done on 25 tyres. If its wet, I'd excercise caution ..

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 01 October, 2020, 07:43:25 pm »
The Gatehampton road is utterly gorgeous - it gives the nicest view over the Thames that I am aware of (as most roads in the area are tree-lined or lower down), usually on a deserted road :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #34 on: 01 October, 2020, 10:20:45 pm »
Looking forward to it.

« Reply #35 on: 03 October, 2020, 08:36:51 pm »
Thank you Edwin for a very well organised event! Also, thanks for helping me out with more food and water for my journey back to Oxford - it got me through those final 2 hours in the rain.

« Reply #36 on: 03 October, 2020, 11:57:58 pm »
That was wet! It rained pretty solidly for most of the days, and poured down at times; my GPS refused to work properly in the conditions and there was too much water for me to read the route sheet properly. The quiet route at the start was a good variation.

Near Cookley Green, traffic was stopped in both directions because the road was flooded. One car made it through so, after watching the depth on its wheels carefully, I followed and left them all to it. May need to strip out my pedals though.

Oxford in rain and heavy traffic was anything but the city of dreaming spires. I got lost owing to the difficulty of using any navigational assistance, but finally found my way to Farmoor and the turn for home. Around Appleford, the day finally brightened up, and I stopped to have the lunch that was in my bag. Then Cholsey brought back memories, as I said above.

Gatehampton Lane was an interesting and very quiet way back across the hills. Overall a good day's ride, Oxford excepted, and no worse for a bit of the wet stuff. Though I may start rusting later in the week.

Thanks again to Edwin. I enjoyed a new route to ride.

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #37 on: 04 October, 2020, 11:55:19 am »
Thank you Edwin for a very well organised event! Also, thanks for helping me out with more food and water for my journey back to Oxford - it got me through those final 2 hours in the rain.

Thanks Tom, its good to see you. Well done for the impressive 300km in the challenging weather.  :thumbsup:

That was wet! It rained pretty solidly for most of the days, and poured down at times; my GPS refused to work properly in the conditions and there was too much water for me to read the route sheet properly. The quiet route at the start was a good variation.

Near Cookley Green, traffic was stopped in both directions because the road was flooded. One car made it through so, after watching the depth on its wheels carefully, I followed and left them all to it. May need to strip out my pedals though.

Oxford in rain and heavy traffic was anything but the city of dreaming spires. I got lost owing to the difficulty of using any navigational assistance, but finally found my way to Farmoor and the turn for home. Around Appleford, the day finally brightened up, and I stopped to have the lunch that was in my bag. Then Cholsey brought back memories, as I said above.

Gatehampton Lane was an interesting and very quiet way back across the hills. Overall a good day's ride, Oxford excepted, and no worse for a bit of the wet stuff. Though I may start rusting later in the week.

Thanks again to Edwin. I enjoyed a new route to ride.

Ta for the mini ride report DR, appreciated. Riding through Oxford city is an experience in itself  ;D and was included to have a meaningful tribute to Robert Boyle by going around the labs that stood almost 400 years ago. AUK rules permitting, I might offer a quiet variant next year to those who look to avoid the short ride through the city.

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #38 on: 04 October, 2020, 12:03:25 pm »
Good turnout yesterday in spite of the dire weather. Thanks to all the brave riders who took part and still managed return with a smile and kind words to offer! You made our day  O:-)

Commiserations to those who couldnt ride but through your entry fee, you've supported the wonderful work carried out by Thames Valley Air Ambulance and LaunchPad Reading. More than ever, these charities are in need of our support.

Looking forward to next Tribute rides in April  next year :thumbsup:

« Reply #39 on: 04 October, 2020, 12:58:48 pm »
Many thanks Edwin and other helpers for a great day out on the 200km.

We were a group of 4 making it back before dark.  It would have been a great route for a ride in April (actually it would have been a great sunny ride the previous Sunday!).  However the constant headwind and floods made it much more challenging.  We just made Ampthill Bakery before it shut at 13:30 and fortunately the weather brightened up considerably in the afternoon before the hilly section at the end.  No problems with the directions either as the route sheet (with 75 roundabouts) was very detailed.  The samosas at the end were also much appreciated.

Looking forward to trying it again in better weather.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #40 on: 04 October, 2020, 06:48:33 pm »
That was wet! It rained pretty solidly for most of the days, and poured down at times; my GPS refused to work properly in the conditions and there was too much water for me to read the route sheet properly.

Good.

Commiserations to those who couldnt* ride but through your entry fee, you've supported the wonderful work carried out by Thames Valley Air Ambulance and LaunchPad Reading. More than ever, these charities are in need of our support.
Double-good  :thumbsup:

;)

*(I'm not sure "couldn't ride" describes my DNS wholly accurately, to be honest.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #41 on: 05 October, 2020, 06:49:18 pm »
Many thanks Edwin and other helpers for a great day out on the 200km.

We were a group of 4 making it back before dark.  It would have been a great route for a ride in April (actually it would have been a great sunny ride the previous Sunday!).  However the constant headwind and floods made it much more challenging.  We just made Ampthill Bakery before it shut at 13:30 and fortunately the weather brightened up considerably in the afternoon before the hilly section at the end.  No problems with the directions either as the route sheet (with 75 roundabouts) was very detailed.  The samosas at the end were also much appreciated.

Looking forward to trying it again in better weather.

Ta Dave. It’s nice to meet you and your friends. Lots of work went into that route sheet (6 x 200 rides to be precise) to perfect with all info I’d have liked to see in a route sheet - glad you found it useful. Hope to see you all again in Spring 👍

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
Re: Tribute Audax: 200, 100 and 50km rides from Reading on 24 April 2021
« Reply #42 on: 23 December, 2020, 08:35:40 pm »
Donno what next year is going to bring but we live in the hope that 2021 will be a better year for Audax  :)

Tribute Audax rides are scheduled for 24 April. Currently restricting to 30 riders in each case but may be able to accept more riders if the world starts moving towards some form of normality by then. Looking forward to welcoming both seasoned and new audaxers. Stay safe everyone - Merry Christmas  :thumbsup:

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #43 on: 23 March, 2021, 09:54:28 am »
Entries are open and filling fast! Limited places left on the 200 and 100km rides.

:thumbsup:

« Reply #44 on: 23 March, 2021, 10:35:04 am »
I entered the 100k event last year, but dns because of the atrocious weather.

« Reply #45 on: 23 March, 2021, 06:12:18 pm »
Definitely try it this year then. I am hoping that, this time, I won't have to swim round. But it was a good ride all the same.

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #46 on: 03 April, 2021, 12:27:59 pm »
Entries closing tomorrow, Easter Sunday... please get in if you plan to ride.  :)

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
« Reply #47 on: 25 April, 2021, 09:22:10 am »
Thanks to all Audaxers who joined yesterday across all 3 rides. Fabulous day for an Audax which was reflected in only a few DNS/DNF. Congrats to all the finishers, hope you enjoyed the ride. It was a pleasure seeing you all, and in particular the repeat customers  :thumbsup: Kudos to those volunteered to take pictures along the route. Please share them by email when time permits.

Thanks to your participation, we stand to raise substantially more for Launchpad Reading and Thames Valley Air Ambulance charities this year. We also had BBC's Matt Allright joining us and based on the feedback seemed to have thoroughly enjoyed his day out in The Chilterns! Take care peeps, stay safe & see you next year. :)

« Reply #48 on: 25 April, 2021, 06:51:31 pm »
Thank you for organising.
Apart from the road closure I go round without any issues.
Also a big thank you to Dick (i think) who rode the last 45km with me. It was only the 2nd time I had done 200km audax, only the 2nd time I had ever riden that far and was much hillier than the first (coming from the flat lands of Essex) and his company of the last 45km really helped.
Thanks
Owen

Old Enough to know better, young enough not to care.
Facebook, the toilet wall of the modern generation

AudaxER

• TributeAudax.uk
    • Tribute Audax
Re: Tribute Audax: 200, 100 and 50km rides from Reading on 23 Apr 2022
« Reply #49 on: 06 February, 2022, 11:02:44 am »

Are you interested in riding this Audax on behalf of Thames Valley Air Ambulance? If so, they would like to hear from you. You can choose any distance and will get:
  • FREE entry
    Free TVAA Cycling Jersey and
    Other goodies in return for a commitment to raise a minimum £50.

Complete the form through the above link (don't register through Audax website) and TVAA fundraising team will be in touch.