Author Topic: ICE gearing - will this work  (Read 1145 times)

ICE gearing - will this work
« on: 28 May, 2011, 02:41:49 pm »
Hi all.
I love my QNT but the wider jumps of the 9-32 cassette are a pain sometimes. Anyway, I've butchered another cassette to make a closer ratio block in the most frequently used sprockets with a huge jump to bottom gear. Sprockets are now:

9-10-11-12-13-15-18-21-32

Seems to run okay on my stand but I can't road test it today. Reckon it'll work?

Re: ICE gearing - will this work
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2011, 05:29:18 pm »
you didn't say what wheel size, but, for an excellent guide on gear ratio charts would point you to the highpath engineering site, they have
 a brilliant chart ref wheel size + different sprockets/chain wheel sizes etc
                                               ;D
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

« Reply #2 on: 28 May, 2011, 08:24:45 pm »
Nowadays the sprockets are shaped to help the chain onto neighbouring sprockets (is that the hyperglide bit?) - and I dunno if those would differ between same sized sprockets from two differently ranged cassettes.

But they didn't used to be, so I guess it ought to work fine (perhaps not so well under load, but changing under load is probably best avoided anyway). Might have to be particularly careful - load wise - changing between the two with the big jump.

« Reply #3 on: 28 May, 2011, 08:45:11 pm »
That looks similar to the 'megadrive' cassettes. They work fine,you just have to be prepared to give a bit of extra time and care over the shift onto the big sprocket.
<i>Marmite slave</i>