Author Topic: S Wales/Bristol DIY/perms  (Read 19301 times)

border-rider

S Wales/Bristol DIY/perms
« on: 10 November, 2009, 05:24:24 pm »
I lifted this out of the main "company" thread in case anyone wants to start a dialogue

Nov & Dec DIY 200s from S Wales/Bristol/etc

Could do midweek as well as weekends.

No firm plans yet

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
Re: S Wales/Bristol DIY/perms
« Reply #1 on: 10 November, 2009, 07:19:07 pm »
Mal, I'm in Bristol but only just about to do my first 200 on Saturday (Across the Cotswold - starting in Droitwich) so probably not quite up to speed compared to 'seasoned' audaxers but do plan to be doing more rides at this distance. Probably not useful to you but thought I'd pipe up seeing as I'm reasonably local for future reference! Hope to be doing the Monmouthshire Meander on 5th December after this Saturday.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2009, 09:24:19 pm »
I'm planning to do a DIY 200km on Monday 30th November. Route: Bromyard, Newent, Chepstow, Usk, Abergavenny, Gospel Pass, Hay, Bromyard. It is probably slightly over distance at about 215km. I already have my brevet card from Danial. Your welcome to join me on route if you'd like to.

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #3 on: 11 November, 2009, 06:23:13 am »
I'd be glad to join you starting anywhere west of the severn. I can do weekdays

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #4 on: 12 November, 2009, 06:24:26 pm »
Graham,

I am in Bristol also, I haven't done much since the end of August but might consider the odd one during the winter especially a 200 starting from Bristol as this would make the logistics easy. I am neither fast nor slow (10 hours for a not too difficult 200).

Mal,

I ran out of Brownie points last Saturday and DNSed the Transporter, but I would quite fancy a 200 starting in  Chepstow for instance. Clearance may not be so easy to get though!

Does anybody know why there are only 100s starting from Bristol? Lack of organiser or a "gentleman agreement" at some point in the past that 200s should start from Cardiff?
Chief cat entertainer.

border-rider

« Reply #5 on: 12 November, 2009, 06:28:26 pm »
Great - some good stuff here.  I'll try to think aboiut what I want to do and we can maybe start to plan something.  I have nothing on next weekend (21-22) if anyone's interested.

Mondays aren't great for me unless we had a very early start - like 7 am.  I need to be home well before 6.

Panoramix - yes, I think it's just lack of an an organiser.  The Welsh 600 (BCM) used to be organised from Bristol.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #6 on: 12 November, 2009, 06:49:26 pm »
Great - some good stuff here.  I'll try to think aboiut what I want to do and we can maybe start to plan something.  I have nothing on next weekend (21-22) if anyone's interested.

Mondays aren't great for me unless we had a very early start - like 7 am.  I need to be home well before 6.

Panoramix - yes, I think it's just lack of an an organiser.  The Welsh 600 (BCM) used to be organised from Bristol.

Was planning to ride 200 next sat (21st) if there's 200 going from Chepstow I could be tempted to join a gang - as long as you're not starting any earlier than 7am, any idea of a route yet?

border-rider

« Reply #7 on: 12 November, 2009, 06:52:10 pm »
No, just thinking aloud.

21st would work for me.  Also not too early would work for me, as I have to go to Mrs MV's work do the night before.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #8 on: 12 November, 2009, 07:48:58 pm »
8am start from Chepstow would suit me, gives a reasonable start from Cardiff, favouring something like a northerly 200 loop out of chepstow.

border-rider

« Reply #9 on: 12 November, 2009, 07:53:27 pm »
Ok.  Where to ?

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #10 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:13:37 pm »
something like >this<? in either direction?

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #11 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:20:48 pm »
I may be able to come along, will let you know!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #12 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:21:46 pm »
Looks a nice one that Toby! Unfortunately thats one of the w/es with no pass; Got TV aerial guy coming Sat am and bike fit at Sunday Bicycles in Macclesfield on Sun... Let us know if you want some more company on your many rides... :thumbsup:

border-rider

« Reply #13 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:25:13 pm »
something like >this<? in either direction?

Looks perfect

:)

« Reply #14 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:41:42 pm »
Is this the start of a Mille Cymru massive? :facepalm:

border-rider

« Reply #15 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:49:21 pm »
Is this the start of a Mille Cymru massive? :facepalm:

it's the start of worrying about the Mille Cymru for me, and I'm more massive than I'd like to be :)

« Reply #16 on: 12 November, 2009, 08:56:57 pm »
Makes two of us and I pale in the face of the mileage riders mentioned on this thread...... :D

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #17 on: 13 November, 2009, 08:20:38 am »
That looks fun. I'm in north Wales that weekend though (you never realise how busy you actually are until you try to organise something). Anyway I'll be up for other rides. I expect I'll be doing a 200 perm from Newquay soon and probably the odd 300 diy covering similar ground as this.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #18 on: 13 November, 2009, 08:41:13 am »
Does anybody know why there are only 100s starting from Bristol? Lack of organiser or a "gentleman agreement" at some point in the past that 200s should start from Cardiff?

There are quite a few 200s that start from the Cirencester/Cheltenham area, maybe not such a slog from Bristol as Cardiff is?

(You probably know this already)
It is simpler than it looks.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #19 on: 13 November, 2009, 09:14:29 am »
I will see if I can get a pass for that Saturday.  I am busy on the sunday.

« Reply #20 on: 13 November, 2009, 10:49:49 am »
Sorry to arrive late - I've been away all week!  I can't make the 21st, but count me in for furture endeavours.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #21 on: 13 November, 2009, 11:55:01 am »
If people are ok with the controls,

Chepstow Start
Monmouth
Hay on Wye
Builth Wells
Brecon
Usk
Chepstow Finish

The route pretty much takes are of itself, Lunch in Hay or Builth? Sat 21st, 8am Start from Chepstow.

I haven't got Autoroute so if anyone who does wants to check it for distance please do.

I can get it down to 213km on Googlemaps

Provisional list:

Me
Mal Volio
Panoramix
Vorsprung

« Reply #22 on: 13 November, 2009, 12:14:54 pm »
I haven't got Autoroute so if anyone who does wants to check it for distance please do.

Hmm, it might not be ok with that. Autoroute 2001 says:

195.6km on shortest and 197.2km on Quickest using the usual settings.

It's pretty much this route but without the detour avoiding the A40 on the way into Brecon that lops another couple of km off.

It depends on how closely they trim the route. The default location for "Monmouth" drags it up to exactly 200km but includes a detour in the centre of town and back out again.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

border-rider

« Reply #23 on: 13 November, 2009, 12:24:56 pm »
We could swing it through Raglan on the way back, so Abergavenny-Raglan-Usk

(and I have the ulterior motive of being able to start/finish in Raglan ;))

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #24 on: 13 November, 2009, 01:02:24 pm »
(Be warned I'm a lazy route planner and often go over-distance (wildly) to avoid working out better controls)

>revised route<

Chepstow
Monmouth
Kington
Builth
Brecon
Raglan
Chepstow

214km?