Author Topic: Bike Check?  (Read 15143 times)

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
Re: Bike Check?
« Reply #25 on: 10 July, 2019, 09:39:35 am »
Bike-packing bags slung from saddles don't help, either, as then there's nowhere to properly mount a rear light at all (except the seat stays, but then only a few lights can be fitted properly there).

I like my Carradice + Bagman, because the Bagman's horizontal bar behind the bag is the perfect place to mount a decent reflector-cum-light securely and in the correct position — centrally, too, so no need to fettle on the ferry  :thumbsup: 

I can also fit a second light to the seat-post/seat-tube that is visible from underneath the bag*  :)

* although a second light is not allowed to be illuminated on PBP
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #26 on: 10 July, 2019, 10:58:09 am »
* although a second light is not allowed on PBP

Citation needed. I though back up lights were positively encouraged??

rob

« Reply #27 on: 10 July, 2019, 11:04:04 am »
I've just returned to some very nice cateye AAA jobbies with one on each seat stay.   Very neat and angled the right way plus one less thing to worry about charging on the ride.

On the bike check the marshall last time very forcibly bent one of my bottle cages in to grip the bottle better.   It then put a black mark down my official water bottle which was just intended to sit on a shelf.

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #28 on: 10 July, 2019, 12:56:52 pm »

I thought this was covered elsewhere already?  It's international regulations, IIRC — a front white light, but only one; a rear red light, but only one; and an audible warning device, but only one.

However, once on the parcours then different rules may apply ...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #29 on: 10 July, 2019, 01:05:13 pm »

I thought this was covered elsewhere already?  It's international regulations, IIRC — a front white light, but only one; a rear red light, but only one; and an audible warning device, but only one.

Fitted Vs turned on. Having only one light turned on at once is the letter of the law. Having multiples fitted, isn't an issue if you only turn 1 on...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #30 on: 10 July, 2019, 01:20:49 pm »
Thanks for the clarification, J  :thumbsup:

Davef

« Reply #31 on: 10 July, 2019, 03:46:23 pm »

I thought this was covered elsewhere already?  It's international regulations, IIRC — a front white light, but only one; a rear red light, but only one; and an audible warning device, but only one.

Are you referring to the Vienna convention on traffic article 44.

Cycles without an engine in international traffic shall:
(a) Have an efficient brake;
(b) Be equipped with a bell capable of being heard at a sufficient distance, and carry no other audible warning device;
(c) Be equipped with a red reflecting device at the rear and with devices such that the cycle can show a white or selective-yellow light to the front and a red light to the rear.

I think it is saying “nothing other than a bell” (no air horns) rather than how many bells you have. I am not sure it is saying you can only have one light on.

In article 27 ...
. It shall be prohibited for cyclists to ride without holding the handlebars with at least one hand,

« Reply #32 on: 10 July, 2019, 03:51:53 pm »
If we take it that you can only have one light front and rear: “a light” then you can have only one efficient brake! “An efficient brake”. Although I suppose you could argue your other one is rubbish...

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #33 on: 10 July, 2019, 04:32:22 pm »
I'll have to find the source, but it was clear [in my mind's eye] about the reference to only one.  As with all these things, unless one's a researcher full-time, one rarely notes citation sources just in case  ::-)

It's also possible I am merely quoting The Internet, which is Never Wrong :facepalm:

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #34 on: 10 July, 2019, 04:57:36 pm »
If we take it that you can only have one light front and rear: “a light” then you can have only one efficient brake! “An efficient brake”. Although I suppose you could argue your other one is rubbish...

The Vienna Convention On Road Traffic 1968 in full explicitly states "an efficient brake" for bicycles, and "two efficient brakes" for mopeds — I think they really did mean just the one for bicycles.  [Here: Chapter V, pg. 37-38]

I doubt the PBP scrutineers would agree.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #35 on: 10 July, 2019, 05:20:05 pm »
2011 bike check - they didn't like my brakes (which were fine), my lights (which were fine), and something else, so had stressful time getting fine things fixed (so they weren't as fine) and left a couple of hours later, stressed.

What didn't they like about your brakes?

If they don't like them, I'm not sure what options there are to make changes!
Fresh pads?

« Reply #36 on: 10 July, 2019, 06:07:37 pm »
They go .. ohhh!
Pull the brakes. Mmmmm
Stick a temp raffle ticket on the top bar
Send you on.

Seriously.. get a friend to check over your bike.
Just in case that brake pad is rubbing on the tyre.

It's just an excuse to provide security at the venue.
You cant leave the compound with a bike unless your documents match the temp frame number
And everyone is wonderful.

That's been my experience in 2011 2015
Pas souci.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #37 on: 10 July, 2019, 06:32:44 pm »

The Vienna Convention On Road Traffic 1968 in full explicitly states "an efficient brake" for bicycles, and "two efficient brakes" for mopeds — I think they really did mean just the one for bicycles.  [Here: Chapter V, pg. 37-38]

I doubt the PBP scrutineers would agree.
I think that means a minimum of one efficient brake. You must have an efficient brake: if you have two efficient brakes or an efficient brake and an inefficient brake, that also meets the Convention. Similarly for lights and reflectors.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #38 on: 10 July, 2019, 08:00:54 pm »
I've done 3 PBP and don't remember the bike check being anything other than perfunctory (except the year when it rained when they decided not to bother at all!). On the lighting front, you'd be amazed at what some people get away with, Italians especially IIRC.   

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.” ― Albert Einstein

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #39 on: 10 July, 2019, 08:50:18 pm »
The vienna convention sets a basis for unece members to follow and derive from.

What's actually important is the French have updated their cycle requirements recently and that included the single beam restriction. It was covered in another post on here.

Technically the vienna convention allows a vehicle registered in a signatory country to adhere to the rules of the country its registered in if they conflict with local regulations, an example of that is the selectif yellow lamps that French regs allow on headlights but no others do (restricted to fog lights)

The problem for cycles is that very few countries if any register bicycles so its impossible to identify them as being in International traffic rather than domestic.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #40 on: 10 July, 2019, 09:12:37 pm »
But for the porpoises of this discussion, the fine details of International Conventions is irrelevant.

All that we care about is the requirements of this specific Event Organiser, and how that is interpreted by their monkeys on the day.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #41 on: 10 July, 2019, 10:02:45 pm »
But for the porpoises of this discussion, the fine details of International Conventions is irrelevant.

All that we care about is the requirements of this specific Event Organiser, and how that is interpreted by their monkeys on the day.
True, but that should be based on French traffic law.
Which now requires a single beam front and rear.

My point was that the vienna convention is essentially irrelevant for bicycles.

Sent from my BKL-L09 using Tapatalk

wilkyboy

• 16-inch wheels
« Reply #42 on: 10 July, 2019, 10:03:56 pm »
What's actually important is the French have updated their cycle requirements recently and that included the single beam restriction. It was covered in another post on here.

Thanks FE — I remember now, it's here towards the end of the discussion on hi-viz vests  :thumbsup:

bairn again

« Reply #43 on: 10 July, 2019, 10:18:57 pm »
I've just returned to some very nice cateye AAA jobbies .....

Ive seen this term used a few times on yacf.  please stop.  See urban dictonary for details.   :thumbsup:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #44 on: 10 July, 2019, 10:21:35 pm »
This is yacf. That sort of secondary meaning is almost mandatory.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

bairn again

« Reply #45 on: 10 July, 2019, 10:26:45 pm »
This is yacf. That sort of secondary meaning is almost mandatory.
:)

Phil W

« Reply #46 on: 10 July, 2019, 10:58:01 pm »
Blimey you lot must be bored quoting Vienna convention.  I really wouldn't worry about the bike check. They will check your lights work and do the drop test.  Plus a check extension bars if you've fitted them.  It's all over in a minute or two.

« Reply #47 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:01:56 pm »

It's just an excuse to provide security at the venue.
You cant leave the compound with a bike unless your documents match the temp frame number
And everyone is wonderful.

It never worked in 2015, someone had their bike swiped out of the compound along with bags etc. Think it was a Swedish rider. When I took my bike out of the compound, I noticed that the officials where that busy checking frame numbers against documents for riders leaving that other riders where just wheeling their bikes out behind them and never challenged by anyone. This year, I will have a lock with me just in case for that day and dump the lock in the car for the ride itself and just hope for best again.

« Reply #48 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:35:35 pm »
Security was better at the athletic stadium.
The velodrome less so.
Anyway agreed a lock is sensible.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #49 on: 11 July, 2019, 11:58:18 pm »
Blimey you lot must be bored quoting Vienna convention.  I really wouldn't worry about the bike check. They will check your lights work and do the drop test.  Plus a check extension bars if you've fitted them.  It's all over in a minute or two.

Never in the history of calm down has someone being told to calm down, actually calmed down...

Telling people not to worry about bike check is a pointless, and frankly patronising answer.

To get to the starting pen in Paris people started by doing some long rides a year ago, many longer than any ride they had done before, then they did a SR series, starting often in the depths of winter to get it in the bag early. They've payed up substantial amounts of money, booked trains, ferries, hotels. Booked time off work, negotiated with family. All so they can try to ride from Paris to Brest and back again, in under 90 hours.

Given all of that is entirely reasonable to worry about what the bike check will involve, and thus want to make sure they are totally ready for what is about to happen.

Many people will have done PBP before, but for others it's the biggest ride they've ever done, and probably will ever do.

No one wants to do all of that, to be give a gallic shrug, a "non" and turned away, to have to try and sort out rectifying it all, on a Saturday afternoon, on the outskirts of Paris.

In short. Your answer is really not useful.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/