Author Topic: Show us your PBP setup  (Read 9955 times)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
Re: Show us your PBP setup
« Reply #25 on: 12 August, 2019, 03:55:02 pm »

I'd say the thing to worry about isn't people on the aero bars, but rather the ones who pretend to have aerobars and simply rest their forearms on the tops, like the pros do...

In Austria last week there was a sportif going on nearby and I passed a paceline of about 15-20 riders, and the one at the back was doing this.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #26 on: 12 August, 2019, 08:56:15 pm »
The rules on tri-bars look like they have have grudgingly accepted that this is a trend they cannot regulate against anymore. All I will say that in my experience most people who do this in groups do not realise how much they sway from side to side and weave. Some people are fine and can keep a good line but IMHO close group riding with tri-bars is an accident waiting to happen.

Most ridding in UK Audax are in small groups or solo and so the experience is not the same.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #27 on: 12 August, 2019, 10:10:32 pm »
In Austria last week there was a sportif going on nearby and I passed a paceline of about 15-20 riders, and the one at the back was doing this.
J
:o :o

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #28 on: 12 August, 2019, 10:29:20 pm »
The rules on tri-bars look like they have have grudgingly accepted that this is a trend they cannot regulate against anymore. All I will say that in my experience most people who do this in groups do not realise how much they sway from side to side and weave. Some people are fine and can keep a good line but IMHO close group riding with tri-bars is an accident waiting to happen.

Most ridding in UK Audax are in small groups or solo and so the experience is not the same.

BB

They are ok for the person on the front. But if you are anything other than the front person, you should ride on the hoods, or equivilant (i.e. hands at brakes).

In Dutch headwinds on audax events, it's often useful to have someone on the aerobars at the front with a pace line out behind them. I've picked up a couple of wheel parasites[1] on events in this situation.

J

[1]I use this phrase as they didn't ask to sit on my arse, they just sat there...
--

simonp

« Reply #29 on: 12 August, 2019, 10:31:44 pm »
I sometimes used to join in a triathlon club's training rides, non members were welcome. There was one person who insisted on being on the aero bars in the group. It was quite scary.

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #30 on: 13 August, 2019, 08:20:13 am »
At the risk of laughter, this is more-or-less it for me:

1978 Peugeot PRN10 fixed-gear conversion.  531 tri-tube with quite a stiff fork.  A surprisingly nice ride.

Shame I didn't have the funds to build up a set of silver wheels for the classic look, but needs must, etc.  Flaps on order. 

Must try to source new blocks for the front centre-pull brakes, as they're scraping the new rim.

No tribars.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

Davef

« Reply #31 on: 13 August, 2019, 08:38:04 am »

BB

They are ok for the person on the front. But if you are anything other than the front person, you should ride on the hoods, or equivilant (i.e. hands at brakes).

In Dutch headwinds on audax events, it's often useful to have someone on the aerobars at the front with a pace line out behind them. I've picked up a couple of wheel parasites[1] on events in this situation.

J

[1]I use this phrase as they didn't ask to sit on my arse, they just sat there...

Unfortunately my aerobars extended beyond the brakes so I have had to remove the brakes to comply with the rules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Phil W

« Reply #32 on: 14 August, 2019, 01:04:17 pm »
It is pissing down just like it will be on Saturday in Rambouillet, so no pictures of the bike loaded up just yet.

The Carradice SuperC is my rack pack, and is currently packed with everything I'll be taking for the event, so jacket, leg warmers,  gloves, arm coolers, my lightest bivvy bag (190g), P20, sudocreme, toolkit, spare cables, some non perishable bonk rations, pain killers, stomach settlers, imodium, salt tablets, diorlyte, toothpaste and brush, razor and shaving oil, small travel towel for washing  etc.  Back pocket of rack pack has head torch, chain oil, black currant flavouring, lock, hiviz, plus a bag with 4 pairs of charged AA.  I have cut a long bit of bungy cord, sealed the ends, and threaded it through the top of the bag for holding extra stuff, possibly an extra bag of food for the first night.

The SuperC front pannier contains the kit I'll be wearing during the event, plus lightweight footwear, socks, underwear, shirt for clean stuff around Rambouillet before / after event plus my documents so passport, EHIC euros, printed ferry and hotel bookings plus charger with euro plug for min and micro USB. A pair of my normal glasses in their case. Waterproof compact camera in this pannier for now but will put in rear pocket of jersey.

Below that is the kit I'll be wearing for the ride down and back. Cap (cycling glasses under cap), cycling top, padded under shorts, normal shorts, socks, cycling shoes.

The neoprene Wiggle wallet has UK train tickets, plus UK cash, cards etc.  Plus my £4.99 audax dumb phone with 150 minutes of credit on it.  GPS has a set of fully charged AA in them, and will go on the bars obvs.

The bike will also have a stem cell attached to bars for holding my munch food when on the road. It worked as a good baguette holder in 2015.

« Reply #33 on: 14 August, 2019, 02:38:24 pm »
Here's mine  :)

Phil W

« Reply #34 on: 14 August, 2019, 02:56:39 pm »
and here we are with rack pack back on. Bar extensions of the NOS 1990's type.

simonp

« Reply #35 on: 14 August, 2019, 03:03:46 pm »
Valve cap colour approved.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #36 on: 14 August, 2019, 11:21:30 pm »

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such perfect mudguards.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #37 on: 15 August, 2019, 08:55:48 am »

Apart from missing a long flap at the back :)

Looking very minimalist, I am not thinking I have perhaps packed too much!
Regards,

Joergen

simonp

« Reply #38 on: 15 August, 2019, 11:20:00 am »
It's not too dissimilar to my 2011 & 2015 set-up. Barley (I assume Paul's bag's similar) on the back; I had more lights and I think I had a top tube bag as well. No belt drive on my fixie though.

« Reply #39 on: 15 August, 2019, 12:45:17 pm »

Looking forward to the adventure, seeing old friends and making new ones.

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #40 on: 15 August, 2019, 01:23:19 pm »
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

parkysouthlondon

• PBP (11,15,19,23), 1001Miglia (2021), TCRNo8(2022)
    • SWRC FB
« Reply #41 on: 15 August, 2019, 01:25:57 pm »
South Western Road Club
2024 events    Tour Divide USA

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #42 on: 15 August, 2019, 01:30:45 pm »
On my way

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #43 on: 15 August, 2019, 02:39:43 pm »

11.5kg bicycle, 4.5 kg gear and stuff, 2kg water. (and yes, that is a kick stand below the left rear chain stay :P)

« Reply #44 on: 15 August, 2019, 04:40:56 pm »

11.5kg bicycle, 4.5 kg gear and stuff, 2kg water. (and yes, that is a kick stand below the left rear chain stay :P)

A kickstand saves time during PBP.
So you're taking a brand new bike to PBP.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #45 on: 15 August, 2019, 04:52:56 pm »
A kickstand saves time during PBP.

Is that brand new? I'm sure I've see it before...

J
--

Davef

« Reply #46 on: 15 August, 2019, 04:56:48 pm »

Pub stop en route down

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Zed43

• prefers UK hills over Dutch mountains
« Reply #47 on: 15 August, 2019, 06:00:44 pm »
Who dares wins ;D

But no, its maiden voyage was the Rando Imperator last spring and I've done a few other brevets on it as well. Most notably the 1000km Kristiansand #1 and the 600km Border Raid.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #48 on: 15 August, 2019, 07:36:53 pm »

Another set of beautifully-aligned ‘guards.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #49 on: 15 August, 2019, 07:55:33 pm »

Paul* is an acknowledged expert and perfectionist. As well as a notorious optimist!

*Rainbow. How inconvenient to have two Pauls in one quote!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.