Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 957668 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2025 on: 24 December, 2011, 09:43:25 am »
Spurred on by people above, I revisited Three Colours Blue last night until a migraine kicked in! It's amazing what extra bits you pick up every time you watch it. I'm now fairly sure who actually wrote the music and what the wife/husband relationship was. I'd never watched closely enough to pick up on the nuances, instead concentrating on the subtle - occasionally not so subtle - uses of blue in the action.

Battleship Potemkin is on next week, so must set the timer for that.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

gordon taylor

« Reply #2026 on: 25 December, 2011, 06:01:10 pm »
Happy Feet and Miracle on 34th Street and other things on TV today which I'd normally define as dross but which fit perfectly into the delightful turkey and whisky blur. I just need to watch ET now, and all will be right with the world.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2027 on: 26 December, 2011, 01:54:21 pm »
I had an iPlayer fest...
'Defiance'. Surprisingly good, and Daniel wotsits does have amazing eyes. Predictable, but worthy, and some excellent playing. Interestingly rearranged borders: the 'Belarus' in question was Poland until 1939.

'G-Force'. Disney trash. Filled some time.

"The Red Baron'. Typically German, with some lousy scripting and predictable hindsight application, but some of the CGI and live action scenes in the air were absolutely visceral.

'The Magic Roundabout'. I remember Chuffy's comment when this came out, but it was indeed even worse. I had to watch it out of curiosity at first, which turned to horrified fascination at how bad a film could be nade with such a stellar cast.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #2028 on: 26 December, 2011, 02:10:39 pm »
I am watching Ivanhoe right now, it's one of the Christmas traditions.
It must be 25th time I see it.  :facepalm:

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2029 on: 26 December, 2011, 06:11:06 pm »
Ratatouille !

If anything beats this for best-family-entertainment-of-Chrimbo-2011 I'll be very happy.

Lots of brilliant touches, and a plot that turned problems (just HOW is the rat going to cook?) into opportunities. It was also pleasingly low-key; the world wasn't in peril, noone was questing for their lost child, no life was in danger - the basic idea could have been from a mainstream animation-free French movie.

Bu99er - I can't think of any criticisms ... </grinch>

Not nearly as good was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponyo

Interesting and watchable, but not as good as other Miyazaki/Ghibli films, (maybe it was aimed at younger audiences than usual?).

It might have been more enjoyable to see the English version - what Film4 showed had the title sequence with all the american/UK actors, but still had the Japanese audio (with english subtitles) ! I can't see any benefit in watching a subtitled version of an animation.

(It was interesting to watch such a lo-tech animation after the hi-tech animate-every-hair-on-her-head Pixar approach.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LindaG

« Reply #2030 on: 27 December, 2011, 03:24:42 pm »
Little piece of Heaven.  Trashy, emotionally-manipulative, Kate Hudson vehicle/chick flick.

I watched it curled up on the sofa with my MiL, we cried like gurls and we had a brilliant time  ;D ;D ;D

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2031 on: 28 December, 2011, 02:59:36 pm »
Last night, Three Colours – Blue. I did enjoy the film although I wasn’t sure that it stood up on its own, perhaps because I know it’s a trilogy and was waiting for the different threads to resolve themselves. My other half however did feel that it worked as a single piece so…I don’t know what that says about us! I’m looking forward to seeing the other two films.

I recognised one of the locations from Engrenages but didn’t spot M. Roban, le juge.

The one thing that I do like about European films is that by and large the actors look like real people. As most of the films that we see are products of Hollywood I always notice this. And on going back to ‘mainstream’ cinema I have the impression that an actor such as Tom Cruise (say) is more pointing his teeth at people than acting.

« Reply #2032 on: 28 December, 2011, 03:06:22 pm »
Singing in the Rain

I'm not a fan of musicals but I really like Gene Kelly. His dancing seems different to that in most other musicals. Plus Jean Hagen is hilarious in the role of the silent movie starlet with a voice that isn't suitable for talkies.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2033 on: 29 December, 2011, 08:46:19 am »
Last night, Three Colours – Blue. I did enjoy the film although I wasn’t sure that it stood up on its own, perhaps because I know it’s a trilogy and was waiting for the different threads to resolve themselves. My other half however did feel that it worked as a single piece so…I don’t know what that says about us! I’m looking forward to seeing the other two films.
The TV was dire last night late on, so I watched White. It's theme is Equality. It's a very ambiguous film - which is a pretentious way of me saying I don't really understand it! None of the characters is easy to relate to, especially Karol. Nevertheless, it was good cinema. The ending is the most peculiar part, but no spoilers!

As for the films standing on their own merits, I think Red would probably succeed. It's a very sumptuous film with a strong central character. Visually, Kieslowski went to town on the redness.

I think the fact that the films aren't based on books makes them stronger on their own. A good day's cinema is to be had watching all three films, but I'm not sure any of them do that any more.

Red tonight, possibly.

Let us know what you think of the other two...
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2034 on: 29 December, 2011, 08:51:32 am »
Midnight in Paris, enjoyable if not too deep, with an interesting time travelling storyline ,  could have done with being a bit longer to get more character development, but a nice film none the less.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2035 on: 29 December, 2011, 09:09:56 am »
Started watching "I Am Number 4" the night before last.

I say started as I fell asleep on the sofa whilst Mrs T carried on watching (the film that is, not me falling asleep on the TV).

I got the general gist of it though, the plot was paper thin.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2036 on: 29 December, 2011, 06:09:21 pm »
Percy Jackson & The Lightning Bolt.
 :thumbsup:

Jakob

« Reply #2037 on: 29 December, 2011, 08:41:32 pm »
"Let the right one in". Loved it!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #2038 on: 29 December, 2011, 09:27:01 pm »
"Aces High" again, which is excellent.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2039 on: 29 December, 2011, 11:10:39 pm »
Sweeney Todd. Didn't realize it was a musical. Meh.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #2040 on: 30 December, 2011, 10:22:50 am »
Cat in a hat

« Reply #2041 on: 30 December, 2011, 11:24:28 am »
I started to watch The Navigators by Ken Loach last night. I got an hour in and could see that it was building up to someone dying and I couldn't handle that, so will watch the end later today. I have to say it was the usual Loach formula - gritty - very gritty - but just that - a formula and rather predictable. A bit like Riff Raff but on the railways.

I also watched the sumptuous, scarlet feast that is Three Colours Red. A real visual extravaganza, and the end still gets me every time.

I gave up on Sweeney Todd after about 10 seconds, or as soon as the singing began, whichever was sooner.

LEE

« Reply #2042 on: 30 December, 2011, 11:32:46 am »
Son of Rambow

(It's not really about Rambo as such).

Perfect post Christmas lightweight comedy.

« Reply #2043 on: 30 December, 2011, 10:57:50 pm »
Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol.  I enjoyed it, turn your brain off, and watch Tom Cruise sprint around. It was big advert for Apple and their various products though.

« Reply #2044 on: 30 December, 2011, 11:09:35 pm »
Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol.  I enjoyed it, turn your brain off, and watch Tom Cruise sprint around. It was big advert for Apple and their various products though.

Not particularly recommended, but good for a couple hours fun escapism. Did have the usual USia sickly sentimental ending though.

Frere

« Reply #2045 on: 31 December, 2011, 04:39:56 pm »
I started to watch The Navigators by Ken Loach last night. I got an hour in and could see that it was building up to someone dying and I couldn't handle that.
Yep, death came. Not the one I expected, but in the manner I expected. I can see why all those post-nationalisation rail disasters happened if the industry was as badly run as Loach portrayed it.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #2046 on: 01 January, 2012, 03:28:13 pm »
Just came back from watching 'Sherlock Holmes: Game of Shadows'. Bum achingly too long but I thought that Jared Harris was excellent as Moriarty.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2047 on: 01 January, 2012, 03:44:36 pm »
The NYE film was Tatie Danielle. A French film farce about an evil old bat. Not bad.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #2048 on: 01 January, 2012, 06:18:43 pm »
Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows Part II

ian

« Reply #2049 on: 01 January, 2012, 06:28:46 pm »
Cowboys vs. Aliens.

Great premise, after all what's not to like in a concoction like that, but I was left feeling a bit meh. Script was a bit flat and pacing odd. It wasn't bad, but with more fizz could have sparkled like like it should have done.