Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950362 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #1975 on: 16 December, 2011, 08:25:27 am »
Bad Lootenant(sp ;D)

Which version? the Abel Ferrara with Harvey Keitel or the Werner Herzog with Nicholas Cage?

Frere

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1976 on: 16 December, 2011, 08:36:29 am »
the Nicholas Cage version

« Reply #1977 on: 16 December, 2011, 08:42:51 am »
yes, both versions are decent, though on balance think the Keitel is better, the earlier film has a dark gritty tone more in keeping with the subject matter, but having said that, they're both good.

Frere

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1978 on: 16 December, 2011, 08:51:51 am »
The Long Kiss Goodnight

« Reply #1979 on: 16 December, 2011, 09:34:01 am »
Truly, Madly, Deeply.

Again.

Just a great movie.  Hoping it gives me lovely dreams, as I am going to bed now.

When you know what it is, to miss someone that much, you realise how great Juliet Stevenson's performance is in this film.

With added Alan Rickman.  Phwoar.
I think I should get round to buying a copy for my very own because it's so good. And it has Alan Rickman.

One of my favourites as well.........and a Phwoar for Juliet Stevenson in my case.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #1980 on: 16 December, 2011, 11:47:14 am »
Back to the Future    ;D

Just as fantastic as always and such fun!  I hadn't realised just how much I'd forgotten of the little details in the years since I saw it last!

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #1981 on: 17 December, 2011, 09:11:38 am »
Back to the Future    ;D

Just as fantastic as always and such fun!  I hadn't realised just how much I'd forgotten of the little details in the years since I saw it last!

The first one is still fun but BTT2 is dreadful, haven't got round to the third one yet.

« Reply #1982 on: 17 December, 2011, 09:20:28 pm »
Bridesmaids. Made the mistake of buying it thinking it would be a nice gentle romantic comedy for the GF. The humor is somewhat robust, shall we say? Somewhat akin to 'Porkys' i.e. gross out humour but played by a mainly female cast. DVD was ejected when the bridesmaids party needed to make some urgent calls of nature, portrayed somewhat graphically. Confusing:P

Frere

AndyK

« Reply #1983 on: 17 December, 2011, 09:29:11 pm »
The Inbetweeners Movieā€¦ if you thought the TV series was funny this is funnier, and grosser.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #1984 on: 17 December, 2011, 10:03:46 pm »
Was at cinema today with the Juniors and their Cousins to see Puss in Boots ( Shreck spin-off ).

Wasn't a good as any of the Shrecks.

--
F

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1985 on: 17 December, 2011, 11:35:20 pm »
Back to the Future    ;D

The first one is still fun but BTT2 is dreadful, haven't got round to the third one yet.

I highly endorse the BTTF trilogy film marathon.  It makes the second one much less annoying (it's very much a 'middle' story, and stands poorly on its own).  The third has grown on me over the years, mainly because (if you ignore the last five minutes) it does steampunk really well.

They also stand out as some of the better subtitled DVDs I've encountered over the years.  The comic timing, what the music's doing: it's all there.   :thumbsup:

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #1986 on: 17 December, 2011, 11:53:49 pm »
Stuff on Festive Telly today, which I've sat down at a several of hours ago...
Splash! (Though I didn't watch most of it)
Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
Harry Potter and the Ordure of the Phoenix

Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #1987 on: 17 December, 2011, 11:58:37 pm »
I've fallen out of the habit of watching stuff at home, so treated myself to some DVD's of old favourites, including Kieslowski's Three Colours Trilogy.   Tonight was Blue....a long time since I've seen it and just as good as I remember.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #1988 on: 18 December, 2011, 09:16:14 am »
Payback with Mel Gibson.
Rather different from Barearse Braveheart

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1989 on: 18 December, 2011, 04:17:16 pm »
Watching 'Passport to Pimlico'. Fecking hell, it is brilliant and so much fun.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1990 on: 18 December, 2011, 05:12:43 pm »
I highly endorse the BTTF trilogy film marathon.  It makes the second one much less annoying (it's very much a 'middle' story, and stands poorly on its own).  The third has grown on me over the years, mainly because (if you ignore the last five minutes) it does steampunk really well.
I admire those with the stamina for 6h+ movie marathons. This is one of my failings as a geek.

I love the first film (after multiple re-viewings), and vaguely recall the other two as being B+. Kim probably knows that 2+3 were filmed at the same time, hence the annoying unresolved plot elements.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1991 on: 18 December, 2011, 05:19:09 pm »
Sherlock Holmes: A Hint of Shadowy Dangery Stuff

7/10. Brilliant in places. Ruined in others by Mr Madonna's obsession with guns-n-violence.

Has something for everyone; Stephen Fry, homo-erotic wrestling, gunfights at Didcot Railway museum, an obscure board game for Wowbagger. American actor doing an odd, but 100% consistent english accent.

A proper action-adventure - in the same realm as Raiders of the Lost Ark, but not quite as good - worth trekking to your local flick parlour.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1992 on: 18 December, 2011, 05:40:34 pm »
I've fallen out of the habit of watching stuff at home, so treated myself to some DVD's of old favourites, including Kieslowski's Three Colours Trilogy.   Tonight was Blue....a long time since I've seen it and just as good as I remember.

Andrew, I've never seen this trilogy, famous as it is, but I remember being staggered by Kieslowski's A Short Film About Killing.

« Reply #1993 on: 18 December, 2011, 06:46:03 pm »
Sherlock Holmes: A Hint of Shadowy Dangery Stuff

7/10. Brilliant in places. Ruined in others by Mr Madonna's obsession with guns-n-violence.

Has something for everyone; Stephen Fry, homo-erotic wrestling, gunfights at Didcot Railway museum, an obscure board game for Wowbagger. American actor doing an odd, but 100% consistent english accent.

A proper action-adventure - in the same realm as Raiders of the Lost Ark, but not quite as good - worth trekking to your local flick parlour.

what mattc said, easy frolicking yarn, something for everyone. Easily Guy Richie's best film, way above his tedious geezer output.

Frere

AndyK

« Reply #1994 on: 18 December, 2011, 07:35:32 pm »
Watching City Of Angels, the Nick Cage/Meg Ryan remake of Wim Wender's Wings Of Desire. Wings Of Desire is an absolute classic. Not only for the story and acting but for the stunning cinematography. All of that is missing from this crap on my TV.

« Reply #1995 on: 18 December, 2011, 07:55:20 pm »

Andrew, I've never seen this trilogy, famous as it is, but I remember being staggered by Kieslowski's A Short Film About Killing.

Ooof, yes.  Two equally appalling portrayals of death. A murder followed by the execution of the murderer.    http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/review/a-short-film-about-killing/941

I once bought the Dekalog series on VHS and found that both tapes contained 1-5! I exchanged it and found the same problem, so I've never seen 5-10.

her_welshness

• Slut of a librarian
    • Lewisham Cyclists
« Reply #1996 on: 18 December, 2011, 09:11:03 pm »
Watching City Of Angels, the Nick Cage/Meg Ryan remake of Wim Wender's Wings Of Desire. Wings Of Desire is an absolute classic. Not only for the story and acting but for the stunning cinematography. All of that is missing from this crap on my TV.

I had the misfortune to watch this in the cinema many years ago, it is utter shite  :sick:

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #1997 on: 18 December, 2011, 09:13:16 pm »
The last film (DVD) I watched was Hair (again again).  Just brilliant.  Some of it has dated badly, and the actors have mostly disappeared, but what performances!
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #1998 on: 18 December, 2011, 10:08:01 pm »
"Went The Day Well?"

Wonderfully jingoistic and violent, although the traitor should really have come to a much stickier end.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #1999 on: 19 December, 2011, 03:15:35 am »
Red Dog.

It's awesome :D
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium