Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950507 times)

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2326 on: 25 April, 2012, 01:48:31 am »
Quick set of repies..
K=Pax: excellent, and so, so, sad.
Troll hunter: wonderful!

And the last one for me? Rabbit-Proof Fence. Bastards.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

BrianI

• Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's Lepidopterist Man!
« Reply #2327 on: 25 April, 2012, 08:01:52 am »

LindaG

« Reply #2328 on: 25 April, 2012, 08:33:57 am »
Last night we finally got around to watching 'Roman Holiday' which we'd video'd about three yearsa go. Gregory Peck and 'introducing Audrey Hepburn', 1953. Quite good and as for the luminous Ms.Hepburn at her most youthful ...   :D

It would have a more upbeat ending if made today.

It's great isn't it. And she was lovely in it, more so than Breakfast At Tiffany's IMO

a lower gear

• Carmarthenshire - "Not ALWAYS raining!"
« Reply #2329 on: 25 April, 2012, 09:25:54 pm »
Watch out for her in the closing cafe scene in Ealing Comedy 'The Lavender Hill Mob' - her first ever film appearance. Even more youthful. 

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #2330 on: 25 April, 2012, 11:38:47 pm »
The Thing, the new one. Neatly if predictably done.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2331 on: 27 April, 2012, 03:59:13 pm »
The Avengers Avengers Assemble

Marvel, so somewhat predictable superhero fantasy with shooty-bangs.

Better than either Thor or Captain America. Not as good as the first Iron Man. I finally sat through a 3d film that didn't give me a migraine.  The effect was well done, but it's not worth the extra, and it only really enhances a few scenes.  The interframe artefacts, particularly on the fast action, were distracting enough for me to wish I'd gone to see the 2d version, but I watch pictures for a living, so I may not be the most uncritical observer.

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, though.  Maybe getting Joss Whedon to do it made the difference after all.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

spindrift

« Reply #2332 on: 27 April, 2012, 04:13:44 pm »
Watch out for her in the closing cafe scene in Ealing Comedy 'The Lavender Hill Mob' - her first ever film appearance. Even more youthful.

She was gorgeous and gamine and elfin,but it's strange she was always cast with much older men, Harrison, Bogart, Holden, Peck. Capote wanted Marilyn Monroe to play Holly Golightly, which would have made it a very different film.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2333 on: 27 April, 2012, 04:16:42 pm »
...<snip>

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, though.  Maybe getting Joss Whedon to do it made the difference after all.
This is kinda what I'm hoping. This may be my one blockbuster cinema trip of 2012!
(The English actor fellow sold it rather well on Radio4 yesterday - forgotten his name, sorry  :facepalm: )
Although I also like the sound of Cabin Fever*, and I'm too tight to pay cinema prices twice in a month ...

*Bugger. That's not what it's called. Senior moment ... the spoofy teen-scream movie by Joss Whedon, anyway!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2334 on: 27 April, 2012, 09:37:12 pm »
...<snip>

This is kinda what I'm hoping. This may be my one blockbuster cinema trip of 2012!
(The English actor fellow sold it rather well on Radio4 yesterday - forgotten his name, sorry  :facepalm: )
Although I also like the sound of Cabin Fever*, and I'm too tight to pay cinema prices twice in a month ...

*Bugger. That's not what it's called. Senior moment ... the spoofy teen-scream movie by Joss Whedon, anyway!

Cabin in the Woods.

(goes off to check IMDB.....)

Frere

The Cabin in the Woods. 8.0/10 imdb rating....mmmm... Not my usual cup of tea, might go see.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #2335 on: 27 April, 2012, 11:40:00 pm »
Do not waste your life watching "Battleship". To say it is dire is to praise it to the rafters. Don't say you weren't warned.

« Reply #2336 on: 27 April, 2012, 11:45:23 pm »
...<snip>

Just seen it. A massive hoot. The Hulk gets the best one-liner
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2337 on: 27 April, 2012, 11:53:05 pm »
Do not waste your life watching "Battleship". To say it is dire is to praise it to the rafters. Don't say you weren't warned.

Saw a paragraph about that film in the paper and resolved to watch it when it was on tv and I was drunk enough to fall comatose.
It is simpler than it looks.

What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2338 on: 28 April, 2012, 01:26:34 am »
Just watched 22 bullets starring Jean Reno ( French with subtitles) cracking film.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #2339 on: 28 April, 2012, 03:51:25 am »
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

LindaG

« Reply #2340 on: 28 April, 2012, 04:54:41 pm »
Salmon fishing in the yemen
It's ok but not brill

Just got back from seeing this, and I'm afraid we'll have to disagree mrc.  I loved it.  Emily Blunt was in it, and she's always wonderful, so that probly helped.  Also, Scotland was in it, and that was wonderful too.  But I really liked the book when I read it, and for the first time ever, I read the book first but thought the film was better.

This is because I'm a soppy old romantic.  So there.

« Reply #2341 on: 28 April, 2012, 10:06:06 pm »

Well, it's very definitely a kids film and both of mine loved it. What's not to like? Huge spaceships and monsters interspersed with massive explosions. When the giant spaceship appeared, my youngest leant across and whispered "this is the "boss" level", so he totally got it.

I'd agree, not a film if you want something thoughtful.

ian

« Reply #2342 on: 29 April, 2012, 01:51:38 pm »

Saw a paragraph about that film in the paper and resolved to watch it when it was on tv and I was drunk enough to fall comatose.

Oddly, this is out later in the US than in the UK (sometime in May), so I was disappointed when, to assuage a cold and rainy afternoon in Philadelphia last weekend, I turned up outside the cinema ready to watch said movie. Sorry, I can't watch the arty farty shite the rest of you do. Killer robots from space? Bring it on. The biggest disappointment of my life to date is the fact that no one made a movie that brought together Steven Seagull, Van Damme, and Norris to fight space alien robots with nothing other than kungfu, rocket launchers, and quips.

Still, it gave me an excuse to go to a bar earlier than planned.

For some reason, and I'm not sure if this happens to all regular fliers, the movies I watch in flight have a very tenuous hold on my memory. Ask me five minutes after getting off a flight what I watched, I reach inside my brain and find a blank. It takes an epic trawl to recover the information. Since my wife always asks and mocks my lack of recall, I write them down now.

Last bunch (short-ish flight from JFK) were In Time, which featured no less a manly titan, than Justin Timberlake. It wasn't actually bad, just formulaic and I am sure the same movie has been made several times already.

Followed by the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, a phenomenon that had so far passed me by. Darker than I might have anticipated and reasonably entertaining, but ultimately a bit meh

Oh, and I watched the 'new' The Thing on DVD the other night. Despite its pretence at being a prequel, it was the same movie remade. It wasn't bad, but added nothing. Lacked the claustrophobic atmosphere of the original too. Ultimately rather pointless.

FatBloke

• I come from a land up over!
« Reply #2343 on: 29 April, 2012, 03:30:25 pm »
It's ok but not brill
I see what you did there!!   ;D
This isn't just a thousand to one shot. This is a professional blood sport. It can happen to you. And it can happen again.

« Reply #2344 on: 29 April, 2012, 05:15:42 pm »
...<snip>

Just seen it. A massive hoot. The Hulk gets the best one-liner

Just seen The Avengers in 3D and enjoyed it.  3D was £2.85 more than 2D, for an adult, and on balance thought it was worth it.  The specialFX worked well in 3-D, and for me one moment that stood out (for some reason) was the audience view out of a car as it turned over.  Hulk managed to get a big laugh at a couple of points.   Good to see
(click to show/hide)
put in a small appearance.  I didn't see Captain America, but agree that on balance Iron Man (1) was possibly better than Avengers...  close though.

BTW it's worth staying until the end of the credits (with graphics) for a little 'something extra' - so sit back and listen to Soundgarden play out...  :)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #2345 on: 29 April, 2012, 09:09:29 pm »
Bringing Up Baby.

It's ok but not brill
I see what you did there!!   ;D
I lent the book to a friend several years ago and never got it back. She says she returned it, but I don't have it. I cod buy another copy but I know if I do it'll turn up.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #2346 on: 29 April, 2012, 10:20:54 pm »
Outvoted so we had 'Snow Dogs'.

What a pile of (dog)shite.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #2347 on: 30 April, 2012, 09:01:36 am »
'Submarine'. Lucky-dip from the video shop. A rather sweet little movie!

« Reply #2348 on: 30 April, 2012, 09:33:27 am »

The film with Lee Marvin?  It's quite an achievement to have a film with Lee Marvin that is so crap.

As an antidote, try tracking down 'Iron Will'. An old-fashioned Disney film with *good* sled dog action.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuzzy

« Reply #2349 on: 30 April, 2012, 09:45:43 am »

The film with Lee Marvin?  It's quite an achievement to have a film with Lee Marvin that is so crap.

As an antidote, try tracking down 'Iron Will'. An old-fashioned Disney film with *good* sled dog action.

Wasn't it James Coburn?