Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 955772 times)

GrahamG

• Babies bugger bicycling
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2700 on: 13 November, 2012, 03:42:55 pm »
Untouchable (http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt1675434/)

Absolutely superb.
Brummie in exile (may it forever be so)

« Reply #2701 on: 13 November, 2012, 03:47:39 pm »
Kill List.

Weird. Just weird.

Not weird enough to keep me awake, evidently…I fell asleep about 45 minutes in (to be fair, this is a hazard of watching any film on late in bed).

« Reply #2702 on: 15 November, 2012, 08:02:14 am »
Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Time will tell but I think it's up there with any of the great films I think I've seen.
There was some advertising for Sightseers by the director of Down Terrace which was a lot funnier than Kill List, so we're looking forward to that.

LindaG

« Reply #2703 on: 16 November, 2012, 10:50:15 am »
Just looked up the trailer for that.  Thanks longers, I might have to see it. 

« Reply #2704 on: 16 November, 2012, 02:23:43 pm »
Skyfall.

That sucked big time. The female characters were merely eye-candy (which is a shame, because Naomie Harris is a wonderful actor), I completely agree with this blog's comments regarding
(click to show/hide)
and they
(click to show/hide)

Oh, and the tube-trains were clearly not District or Circle - that was one of the deep lines, like the Northern. And the chase was occurring in rush-hour, and yet when
(click to show/hide)

Huge telegraphing of
(click to show/hide)

Also, Cyanide isn't caustic and wouldn't dissolve someone's mouth, Komodo dragons are carrion-feeders and ambush predators, unlikely to attack a grown man unless cornered, what was the point of making Javier Bardem's character a predatory gay unless it was to try and feed off an audience's latent homophobia, and why was the film so bloody long?!? >:( >:( >:(
Have you seen my blog? It has words. And pictures! http://ablogofallthingskathy.blogspot.com/

« Reply #2705 on: 17 November, 2012, 09:12:12 pm »
Skyfall

Where was that road in the Highlands where they stopped in the DB5..

Just have to ride that....

Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

LindaG

« Reply #2706 on: 17 November, 2012, 10:23:56 pm »
Still can't decide whether to bother going to see that Skyfall.  Somehow it just doesn't appeal.

We went to see Ruby Sparks tonight.  A whimsical romance with a bit of a twist.  I enjoyed it very much, Crusty less so, mostly because it was about him.  Or so he decided on the way home.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #2707 on: 17 November, 2012, 11:04:32 pm »
All of the nominated films in the "Films by Yound Animators" and "Films for Kids" categories at Bradford Animation Festival, in the company of both Cubs and a couple of spare chiddlers.

We liked.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2708 on: 18 November, 2012, 07:36:57 pm »
Don't Look Now.  Quite refreshing for a nigh on 40 year film, and well worth taking the time to watch.  Insidious UK thriller.

red marley

« Reply #2709 on: 18 November, 2012, 08:06:18 pm »
Argo

A rather deft combination of serious political thriller (the first 10 minutes are very powerful), satire and comic performance (Alan Arkin is great, albeit doing what he normally does in films these days). And a largely true story about an aspect of the 1979/80 American embassy in Iran hostage situation I knew nothing of. Has a very authentic late 70's visual style to it that appealed too.

LindaG

« Reply #2710 on: 18 November, 2012, 09:08:58 pm »
Argo

A rather deft combination of serious political thriller (the first 10 minutes are very powerful), satire and comic performance (Alan Arkin is great, albeit doing what he normally does in films these days). And a largely true story about an aspect of the 1979/80 American embassy in Iran hostage situation I knew nothing of. Has a very authentic late 70's visual style to it that appealed too.

WD for taking my advice Jo  :smug:

I like comedy and dramatic tension.  Because one of the best things about hoomins is the way we laugh at the worst possible moments, and there's nothing wrong with that.  If anything it makes it more real.  And yes, the first ten minutes are very powerful indeed. 

Funny in places, but not irreverent.

LindaG

« Reply #2711 on: 21 November, 2012, 11:25:27 pm »
The Silver Linings Playbook

A rom-com featuring much mental illness.  I enjoyed it very much, and the discussions between those affected by such problems were spot-on   ;D  I really liked it, and laughed a lot. 

It was a long film but it should have been longer to explain how the end matched up with the beginning.  I won't explain as it would spoil it.  Still worth seeing though, and worth going to see if you go with someone else.  So that you can talk about it afterwards.  A film to see on a lighthearted night out with friends.  Not a film buff's film, IYSWIM.

Oh, and I think Strictly fans might like it. 

7.5/10

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #2712 on: 22 November, 2012, 05:34:20 am »
The Dark Knight Rises

Was a great film :)
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

LindaG

« Reply #2713 on: 22 November, 2012, 01:15:03 pm »
The Silver Linings Playbook

A rom-com featuring much mental illness.  I enjoyed it very much, and the discussions between those affected by such problems were spot-on   ;D  I really liked it, and laughed a lot. 

It was a long film but it should have been longer to explain how the end matched up with the beginning.  I won't explain as it would spoil it.  Still worth seeing though, and worth going to see if you go with someone else.  So that you can talk about it afterwards.  A film to see on a lighthearted night out with friends.  Not a film buff's film, IYSWIM.

Oh, and I think Strictly fans might like it. 

7.5/10

ETA:  Nice review from Rolling Stone here.  Contains spoilers.

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/silver-linings-playbook-20121115

« Reply #2714 on: 22 November, 2012, 01:21:36 pm »
Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 2

I love No2Daughter dearly, but god, that was bad. Even aside from the whole Twilight concept, the film was dreadful. Any disbelief sank to the pit of my stomach, totally failing to be suspended. I went for a pee half way through, just to get away from it.

Good news though, that's the last of them  :thumbsup:

RJ

• Droll rat
« Reply #2715 on: 22 November, 2012, 01:23:50 pm »
Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 2

I love No2Daughter dearly, but god, that was bad. Even aside from the whole Twilight concept, the film was dreadful. Any disbelief sank to the pit of my stomach, totally failing to be suspended. I went for a pee half way through, just to get away from it.

Good news though, that's the last of them  :thumbsup:

Until the directors'(*) cuts ...  ;)

* - I assume there's been more than one over the whole piece

/grammar pedant

Hillbilly

« Reply #2716 on: 24 November, 2012, 10:21:56 pm »
Hot Tub Time Machine.  Sometimes it's good to just let the brain cells rest.  In the right mood and company, this isn't bad.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2717 on: 25 November, 2012, 09:02:48 am »
MiB III, not as good as the first two, but still good for a laugh, shame Frank only appeared on posters and not actually in the film.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mike J

• Guinea Pig Person
« Reply #2718 on: 25 November, 2012, 05:25:03 pm »
Skyfall  ;D

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2719 on: 26 November, 2012, 04:19:19 pm »
End of Watch

Saw it the other day and quite liked it but it ddn't need or benefit from the 'found footage' approach that has surely been done to death by now.

The scenes could have been filmed from the same angles if required without the fiction that the characters were themselves filming it, just wasn't necessary.

« Reply #2720 on: 27 November, 2012, 01:57:14 pm »
Not exactly a film, but I got Star Trek, The Borg Collective 4-DVD collection and sat through it over the weekend.

I was always scared shitless by the Cybermen on Doctor Who as a lad, and the Borg seem to awaken some of this fear. Good stuff. Ah, except the last one jumped a bit in time and seemed too trite an ending, but hey, who's complaining?!
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #2721 on: 27 November, 2012, 04:06:35 pm »
Skyfall

Where was that road in the Highlands where they stopped in the DB5..

Just have to ride that....

I thought it was Glencoe, but road was too minor (unless they cloned in a more minor road i.e. FX)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #2722 on: 29 November, 2012, 09:08:48 pm »
Coriolanus.

Ralph Fiennes, Gerard Butler, Vanessa Redgrave, Brian Cox et al, supporting cast of the Serbian Army.  The text was subbed to the bones, but a very good film nonetheless.  A proper tragedy.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

Chris S

« Reply #2723 on: 29 November, 2012, 09:10:41 pm »
Ted.

Quite funny - with one or two sigable lines. I think they could have made more of it though, and it's very very hard to disassociate that voice from Family Guy.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2724 on: 29 November, 2012, 09:13:55 pm »
40 Year old Virgin.
It is simpler than it looks.