Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 955800 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2975 on: 08 February, 2013, 04:18:28 pm »
The Good Shepard on telly

Never seen it before. I really liked this. Unusually for a star laden US film it's slow, quite and morality is very blurred. First time I have seen Angelina Jolie actually act and she's really good.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #2976 on: 09 February, 2013, 04:03:22 pm »
Tron Legacy in 3D.

Whilst I thought that the 3D should be able to add a lot to some of the sequences, it didn't seem to be quite as impressive as some other 3D titles.

As regards the story, it seemed a bit short sighted of Flynn not to include some sort of backdoor he could shut down Clu with, given the problems he had the MCP in the first Tron!  Olivia Wilde's presence, on the other hand, made up for a lot of shortcomings. ;D  Her character was quite nicely humorous at times. "Made it". :thumbsup:

It was also novel to see Jeff Bridges having a fight with himself!  The production values of Legacy were obviously rather higher than the original film, given the much higher quality cgi techniques available now, and in fact whilst the original Tron was ground-breaking, it only had relatively small amounts of cgi compared to many more modern films.  On the other hand, I'm much more used to this sort of thing in films now, than I was back when the original was made, so I've become rather more blasé about it.

Overall not a bad film, but obviously not as innovative and original as the first Tron was.  The Daft Punk sound track is also rather good.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #2977 on: 09 February, 2013, 10:44:09 pm »
"Villain" .  Richard Burton menacing, as a razor wielding cockney gangster (not the best accent) and Ian McShane as his reluctant toyboy.  Rather good.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #2978 on: 10 February, 2013, 03:47:31 pm »
A Monster in Paris.

That was a rather enjoyable film.  Not exactly packed with car chases and excitement, although it had its moments (and actually does have a car chase!).

It could hardly be described as your typical monster movie, having more musical than monstery bits.  It's really a romantic comedy with a novel approach, and certainly doesn't owe anything to the predictable Rue Morgue or Hunchback of Notre Dame monster tropes.

The 3D was done very well, especially with some of the wide backdrops of Paris, albeit in an animation style not typically used in this fashion.

I particularly liked Charles, who is definitely one of the unexpected stars of the film. ;D :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #2979 on: 10 February, 2013, 04:56:33 pm »
I've just watched Ingmar Bergman's The Magician. That were a bit weird.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2980 on: 10 February, 2013, 09:17:29 pm »
Funny People. 

You mean Adam Sandler has made a good movie?  I sure do. I sure do.

A bit long, but chugs along nicely.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #2981 on: 10 February, 2013, 10:25:39 pm »
Jar City (in installments). Bleak.

LindaG

« Reply #2982 on: 10 February, 2013, 10:29:28 pm »
The Impossible.

Blimey.

I have no idea why Crusty took me to see this film. Possibly because you get to see Naomi Watts's boob.

She's his girlfriend she is.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #2983 on: 10 February, 2013, 10:31:49 pm »
The last marigold glove in the hotel.

Gentle fun.
It is simpler than it looks.

Jakob

« Reply #2984 on: 11 February, 2013, 08:08:47 am »
Killing Them Softly.

Mostly a waste of time. Messy.

« Reply #2985 on: 11 February, 2013, 10:35:43 am »
The Illusionist.

Not the Edward Norton one. The French animated one set in Scotland with the (minimal) dialogue variously in English, French and Gaelic. like Belville Rendezvous in style, story sweet but lacking, well, anything much. OK for snowy Sunday afternoon viewing with a glass of red.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #2986 on: 11 February, 2013, 10:45:43 am »
Route Irish.

Set in Liverpool and about the Iraq war. Includes John Bishop as the dead guy.

I'd like to appreciate Ken Loach films, really I would, but he still insists on recording all the ambient noise with the dialogue and I really struggle to hear what people are saying. The handheld camerawork is fine, and gives the desired effect, but if you're watching two people shouting at each other in a stairwell you should hear what they're saying from the perpective of the people in the conversation, not the perspective of someone two floors up where all you can hear is the booming resonance. Having to rewind several crucial bits spoiled it for me.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2987 on: 11 February, 2013, 12:33:22 pm »
The last marigold glove in the hotel.

Gentle fun.

And what film were you watching at the time  ;)

spindrift

« Reply #2988 on: 12 February, 2013, 01:29:25 pm »
This Is 40. Quite funny, but racist toward cyclists.

« Reply #2989 on: 13 February, 2013, 09:44:28 pm »
Warm Bodies, with No1Daughter, No2Daughter & No2Daughter's mate.

Shite. My disbelief was not suspended one jot. John Malkovic is clearly whoring himself for any crap these days. £30 wasted, and my evening.

spindrift

« Reply #2990 on: 15 February, 2013, 08:26:44 pm »
Silver Linings Playbook

I thought the Hangover was juvenile dross, the remake of The A Team was pointless, and I didn't generally get the Bradley Cooper love, but this film is marvellous, warm-hearted and lovely. It's unexpected, I love stumbling over films I haven't heard much about and that are are to get a grasp on from short clips. It's a tremendous love story with no overly sentimental touches, and best of all De Niro's making good films again after ten years of dross.

LindaG

« Reply #2991 on: 15 February, 2013, 09:08:59 pm »

spindrift

« Reply #2992 on: 15 February, 2013, 09:50:33 pm »
Yep, that's a good review. De Niro was so good, it was fantastic to see him back on form.

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #2993 on: 16 February, 2013, 08:05:01 am »
Last night we watched a DVD of The Artist. Excellent! Highly recommended!

What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #2994 on: 16 February, 2013, 08:06:14 am »
Losers

The clue is in the film title.
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #2995 on: 16 February, 2013, 08:29:04 am »
I give it a year.

Bit patchy but a few funny bits, most of which were in the trailer. Stephen Merchant had a supporting role as an annoying character that was too annoying to watch. Could have done with more of Minnie Driver's character.

spindrift

« Reply #2996 on: 16 February, 2013, 06:25:24 pm »
It struck me that Danny Elfman did the music for Silver Linings Playbook and Hitchcock and both films have a crucial shower scene.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #2997 on: 16 February, 2013, 09:47:55 pm »
The Dark Knight Rises. Not quite as good as its immediate predecessor. Just very, very, very good, then, and a fitting end to Nolan's trilogy.

« Reply #2998 on: 17 February, 2013, 10:56:17 am »
Infidel written by David Baddiel and starring Omis Djalili as a Jew who was adopted at birth and brought up as a muslim.  Very perceptive and very funny.  I recommend it.

Hillbilly

« Reply #2999 on: 17 February, 2013, 04:16:27 pm »
The Leopard.

Sumptious 60s film, fundamentally about a changing social order in Italy (but no doubt has lots of other subtexts).  At 3 hours, perhaps not one for the youtube generation, but for those with the patience (and are comfortable with subtitles) this is a fine movie.