Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950581 times)

spindrift

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3000 on: 17 February, 2013, 05:07:05 pm »
Shame.

Pretentious tedious cock and balls.

LindaG

« Reply #3001 on: 17 February, 2013, 06:50:04 pm »
Shame.

Well, yes. Plenty of those. But Fassbender was good wasn't he? And whilst at the time I saw this film I just thought it was the re-iteration of an old message, one that no-one is interested in, I do find that his affecring performance comes back to haunt me (and haunting it is) when certain subjects come up in the press. Especially at the moment when murder victims are being eroticised and child rape is hidden and when the souls broken by the likes of Savile are labelled 'liar'.

« Reply #3002 on: 17 February, 2013, 07:00:37 pm »
By osmosis, Aquamarine, a trashy Disney-style mermaid early teen love story. My 7-year-old has it playing on loop seemingly.

Why, oh why do Americans have to say "Arkquamarine" when the rest of the world can say it properly? It wouldn't grate on me so much normally, but having to hear it for the 500th time got a tad wearing.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

spindrift

« Reply #3003 on: 17 February, 2013, 07:24:46 pm »
Shame.

Well, yes. Plenty of those. But Fassbender was good wasn't he? And whilst at the time I saw this film I just thought it was the re-iteration of an old message, one that no-one is interested in, I do find that his affecring performance comes back to haunt me (and haunting it is) when certain subjects come up in the press. Especially at the moment when murder victims are being eroticised and child rape is hidden and when the souls broken by the likes of Savile are labelled 'liar'.

Would have been un-watchable without Fassbender. Blimey, that film wanted to have its cake and eat it. One minute it's a bold art-house movie on the raw realities of sex  with low camera angles and SIGNIFICANT PAUSES where nothing happens, the next Carey Mulligan's got her bush out. There was no need to see Carey Mulligan's bush, it didn't advance the plot.

LindaG

« Reply #3004 on: 17 February, 2013, 07:47:35 pm »
Shame.

Would have been un-watchable without Fassbender. Blimey, that film wanted to have its cake and eat it. One minute it's a bold art-house movie on the raw realities of sex  with low camera angles and SIGNIFICANT PAUSES where nothing happens, the next Carey Mulligan's got her bush out. There was no need to see Carey Mulligan's bush, it didn't advance the plot.

I took that as a direct challenge to the audience - the objectification of a human being, the damage it does, and then you find yourself doing it.  It was no accident that the opening scenes showed Fassbender naked, and then as the surface was scraped off and you found the wounded person beneath, it was the same challenge.  Powerful stuff really.

spindrift

« Reply #3005 on: 17 February, 2013, 08:08:42 pm »
Using nudity as a metaphor my arse.

spindrift

« Reply #3006 on: 17 February, 2013, 08:11:23 pm »
I think his part was under-written, he had too little to do so you didn't really get him, he was just fixated. It left too much up to the audience, maybe that's why views differ.

LindaG

« Reply #3007 on: 17 February, 2013, 08:13:20 pm »
See I thought that was the greatest strength of this film - everything that was left unsaid. 

« Reply #3008 on: 17 February, 2013, 08:32:15 pm »
Django.

Not that one, the 1966 Spaghetti Western, filmed in Spain with Italian dialogue and the worst ever dubbing. But everything you can ever want from the genre: the cool, blue-eyed, mysterious sharpshooter; the heroine who needs saving; drunken Mexican bandits & evil American ones; a ghost town populated by the saloon owner and his ladies of disrepute; a 30 metre polished bar for sliding whiskey glasses down; horses, dynamite, gold, quicksand, ears chopped off, you name it... Fantastic stuff - exactly what Sunday afternoons were made for.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #3009 on: 17 February, 2013, 08:38:37 pm »
Big Fish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Fish

At the moment on Film4.
IMO one of Tim Burtons best films   ;D

fuzzy

« Reply #3010 on: 18 February, 2013, 01:33:36 pm »
Munich.

I know a Munich competitor. I haven't asked him if he was in the village during the incident. Don't know if I should really.

Munich is a good film.

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3011 on: 18 February, 2013, 04:10:58 pm »
Le Quattro Volte. Non-dialogue film set in the Calabrian Mountains. Beautifully filmed.

Last night… Die Hard 2 for the umpteenth time. Bloody awful but great at the same time.
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

« Reply #3012 on: 18 February, 2013, 04:19:30 pm »
Why, oh why do Americans have to say "Arkquamarine" when the rest of the world can say it properly?

Because they might think it makes them sound sophisticated? But listening to US commentary of the Tour last year, it seems that more Americans are at last pronouncing 'France' in the way Europeans do - with a long 'a', and not saying 'Frayantz'

I watched Prometheus last night. Great visually, but the story and plot contained too many holes and clichés, so I gave up trying to take it seriously by the end.
'Something....something.... Something about racing bicycles, but really a profound metaphor about life itself.'  Tim Krabbé. Possibly

« Reply #3013 on: 18 February, 2013, 04:25:46 pm »
My 7-year-old has it playing on loop seemingly.
I've never understood this. Why don't you turn it off? Aren't you the grown up?

« Reply #3014 on: 18 February, 2013, 04:44:08 pm »
Thanks for the parenting lesson. "Seemingly" had implied some sort of irony. Never mind.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

« Reply #3015 on: 19 February, 2013, 10:20:17 pm »
Infidel written by David Baddiel and starring Omis Djalili I recommend it.

Bah ! Read the write up earlier this week and meant to record it....promptly forgot....another senior moment. I'll get it next time round.

Just watched The Keep on Film Four. Absoloute twaddle, but Jurgen Procnow was excellent (as usual). Why isn't he a bigger star?. He was awesome as the U-boat captain in Das Boot.

« Reply #3016 on: 20 February, 2013, 01:24:16 pm »
Perfect Sense

With Eva Green and Ewan McGregor.
What a complete pile of wank.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3017 on: 20 February, 2013, 01:29:30 pm »
The Cannonball Run

It's probably one of my favourite films for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, but then it could be because of .... Him (dun dun DUURRRRRH!)1

1 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Chaos

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3018 on: 20 February, 2013, 02:42:37 pm »
Infidel written by David Baddiel and starring Omis Djalili I recommend it.

Bah ! Read the write up earlier this week and meant to record it....promptly forgot....another senior moment. I'll get it next time round.

Just watched The Keep on Film Four. Absoloute twaddle, but Jurgen Procnow was excellent (as usual). Why isn't he a bigger star?. He was awesome as the U-boat captain in Das Boot.

I think it's on iplayer - I saw a tweet from Omid a day or so ago to that effect I think.

« Reply #3019 on: 20 February, 2013, 06:21:28 pm »

I think it's on iplayer - I saw a tweet from Omid a day or so ago to that effect I think.

Oooh, ta, I'll have a look-see.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3020 on: 20 February, 2013, 11:13:36 pm »
The Cannonball Run

It's probably one of my favourite films for reasons I can't quite put my finger on, but then it could be because of .... Him (dun dun DUURRRRRH!)1

1 - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Chaos

Hah!  You post that and ten hours later we're being followed by Burt Reynolds.

Or at least a new user called BurtReynolds531.

It's SallyFields436 I'm holding on for.

(Incidentally back on topic, Sally Fields was great in Lincoln)

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3021 on: 20 February, 2013, 11:28:00 pm »
The Departed.  Again; always worth a rewatch.

« Reply #3022 on: 21 February, 2013, 11:05:58 am »

[/quote]

because Air Force One, Judge Dredd and The Da Vinci Code. That's a lot of bad karma to overcome.
Allow me to explain through the medium of interpretive dance

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3023 on: 21 February, 2013, 01:59:48 pm »
Skyfall.  A Bond James Bond film where Suddenly!  Not much happens! is a waste of time.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3024 on: 21 February, 2013, 03:05:14 pm »
Bad Bosses, it's ok, in a kind of forget you have a brain kind of way.

I am currently watching Caracremada to make up for it, though :)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State