Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 955816 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3150 on: 01 April, 2013, 04:23:24 pm »
Up. Disney/Pixar do infertility and death poignantly in the first 11 minutes, then it's standard fare.

Restless Natives. One of those understated 80s, Scottish comedies. They did them so well, so why did they stop? Big Country soundtrack as an added bonus.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3151 on: 01 April, 2013, 05:05:54 pm »
I've said it before, but Up would have worked best as a short, finishing as the house lifts off from the construction site.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #3152 on: 01 April, 2013, 07:19:44 pm »
Son Of Rambow
That's a brilliant film.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3153 on: 01 April, 2013, 09:25:11 pm »
The Raid

Little plot, and what little there is tends to be variously cliched or confused, but fupp me if it didn't have the most kickass kick ass sequences I've seen for a fair while.  Such kinetic, brutal fight choreography, it had me agog in places.

« Reply #3154 on: 01 April, 2013, 10:27:49 pm »
How I spent my summer vacation/Get the gringo

Kind of the unofficial sequel to Payback. If you liked Payback, and you aren't too bothered about/have forgiven Mel Gibsons various personal problems/views it's quite an entertaining film.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3155 on: 02 April, 2013, 07:40:32 am »
American Pie Presents: The Naked Mile.

The first 20 minutes are very funny indeed, although utterly depraved.  After that it descends into a second-rate frat house comedy where the USP is that the rival frat house is composed of highly aggressive and intelligent dwarfs (plus one village idiot of normal height who only got in by being related to the chief dwarf).
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #3156 on: 02 April, 2013, 12:56:55 pm »
This weekend we enjoyed In Bruges after seeing the recommendations on here, so thanks for those. I was expecting Jeremy Hardy to turn up after the phonecalls from Harry.

fuzzy

« Reply #3157 on: 03 April, 2013, 09:06:34 am »
End of Watch

Good reviews but decidedly rubbish. The hand-held home video style is completely tedious and not at all clever after the first few minutes, also does not work when there's no-one else in the scene to supposedly hold the camera. The introduction/character development took three quarters of the film, and the storyline was all over the place. Good acting but ultimately a waste of time.

Looper

Silly, predictable, but enjoyable.

I was kind of the other way round, I disliked the had-held camera style which added nothing and made the film less enjoyable.  I did enjoy it overall though and thought it was refeshing to have a cop film which had cops not being bad guys/other side of the coin from criminals.*  I liked the just riding around and gernally bullshitting each other day to day stuff.  I'm wondering what Fuzzy would make of it?

It is on my list of films to watch.

Due to the location (LA?) I was wondering if it had overtones of 'The Shield'* for the Big Screen?

*For those who have not discovered/ seen it, The Shield is a TV series that I am very happy to recommend.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3158 on: 03 April, 2013, 10:46:33 am »
"White Mischief".  Worthless moneyed shits faffing around in Kenya in 1940 while the rest of the Empire was dodging metal delivered by the absolutely-not-gentlemen of the Third Reich.  Gregor Fisher is unrecognisable without his string vest (though his hat does appear to have a bandage round it).  And Greta Scacchi displays her usual aversion to clothes.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3159 on: 03 April, 2013, 11:30:16 am »
End of Watch

Good reviews but decidedly rubbish. The hand-held home video style is completely tedious and not at all clever after the first few minutes, also does not work when there's no-one else in the scene to supposedly hold the camera. The introduction/character development took three quarters of the film, and the storyline was all over the place. Good acting but ultimately a waste of time.

Looper

Silly, predictable, but enjoyable.

I was kind of the other way round, I disliked the had-held camera style which added nothing and made the film less enjoyable.  I did enjoy it overall though and thought it was refeshing to have a cop film which had cops not being bad guys/other side of the coin from criminals.*  I liked the just riding around and gernally bullshitting each other day to day stuff.  I'm wondering what Fuzzy would make of it?

It is on my list of films to watch.

Due to the location (LA?) I was wondering if it had overtones of 'The Shield'* for the Big Screen?

*For those who have not discovered/ seen it, The Shield is a TV series that I am very happy to recommend.

'Rampart' had more in common with 'The Shield' - very loosely based around some of the same issues (i.e. the Rampart squads, police brutality) but it's not a very enjoyable film in my view.

« Reply #3160 on: 04 April, 2013, 04:34:08 pm »
Armageddon. Apparently not having seen it was a huge hole in my cultural knowledge and a lack that I would forever feel until rectified.

Doubtless Wowbagger & barakta are the only other forumites who haven't seen it, so any review is superfluous.

When it came out, in 1998, I was busy producing No2Daughter. All the actors look the same now as they did then- No2Daughter does not, and neither do I.

aside: I didn't believe that the Aerosmith song was written for the movie but Wikipedia tells me it was nominated for best original song, so I was clearly wrong. It won't be the last time.

« Reply #3161 on: 04 April, 2013, 04:42:15 pm »
"White Mischief".  Gregor Fisher is unrecognisable without his string vest (though his hat does appear to have a bandage round it).
Wait till you see him as the Bernard Cribbins character in the remake of The Railway Children! I was expecting him to have a bottle of Buckie secreted in every fire bucket.

And Greta Scacchi displays her usual aversion to clothes.
You say that like it's a bad thing ;)
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

spindrift

« Reply #3162 on: 05 April, 2013, 12:39:19 pm »
The House of Sand and Fog.

Not as good as the book.

« Reply #3163 on: 05 April, 2013, 05:13:35 pm »
No Country for Old Men. Gripping throughout, though almost unwatchably violent in parts. I last saw it on a tiny screen on a flight, so it was good to see it on a bigger screen. Javier Bardem was a plausible, murderous psychopath. Tommy Lee Jones was a good sheriff. Superb cinema.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3164 on: 05 April, 2013, 05:20:51 pm »
'Trance', Danny Boyle's latest offering - fair enough modern Film Noir but will probably lose a lot on a small screen and second viewing.

LindaG

« Reply #3165 on: 05 April, 2013, 11:33:57 pm »
Arbitrage.

Richard Gere as a second-rate George Clooney in a second-rate Michael Clayton. But without wonderful Tilda Swinton.

The girl out of Another Earth was in it though and I really like her.

« Reply #3166 on: 06 April, 2013, 10:34:47 am »
Armageddon. Apparently not having seen it was a huge hole in my cultural knowledge and a lack that I would forever feel until rectified.

Doubtless Wowbagger & barakta are the only other forumites who haven't seen it, so any review is superfluous.

When it came out, in 1998, I was busy producing No2Daughter. All the actors look the same now as they did then- No2Daughter does not, and neither do I.

aside: I didn't believe that the Aerosmith song was written for the movie but Wikipedia tells me it was nominated for best original song, so I was clearly wrong. It won't be the last time.

Steve Buscemi - was good value, as always. 

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3167 on: 06 April, 2013, 05:34:17 pm »

Just checked, she hasn't.  Which is odd, given the number of times she's seen Deep Impact (the more cerebral, hobbity asteroid film of 1998).

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3168 on: 06 April, 2013, 06:10:11 pm »
The Hunger Games.  Nobody looked hungry.  ???
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3169 on: 06 April, 2013, 09:01:48 pm »
Really?  Hollywood females usually look like they lost the key to the pie cupboard.
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3170 on: 06 April, 2013, 09:56:01 pm »
I haven't seen Armageddon, ftr.

I'm not rushing to plug that gap.
Getting there...

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3171 on: 07 April, 2013, 06:25:33 am »

It's kind of Con Air meets Deep Impact and is fun if you're in the right mood.  Both Armageddon & Deep Impact have their flaws but the latter is better written and has Morgan Freeman as President  :thumbsup:

« Reply #3172 on: 07 April, 2013, 07:45:14 am »
Holy Motors.

Holy moly, what the hell have I just watched? I can't even begin to process this one.

I was intrigued so I looked it up. Ah... Leos Carax. That would explain your reaction.

d.

We saw it last night. Can't improve on Hillblly's synopsis.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

« Reply #3173 on: 07 April, 2013, 08:50:12 am »

I think I recommend it. It's outrageous  USA loving tosh. The yanks save the world, there's bombs and stupid soldiers and heroes in boiler suits. It's crap, but in a fun way. Your disbelief isn't suspended for a nano second, but it's silly macho fiction.
I don't think I'd enjoy Deep Impact. Cerebral? In a disaster movie? What's the point of that?

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3174 on: 07 April, 2013, 08:59:31 am »

I think I recommend it. It's outrageous  USA loving tosh. The yanks save the world, there's bombs and stupid soldiers and heroes in boiler suits. It's crap, but in a fun way. Your disbelief isn't suspended for a nano second, but it's silly macho fiction.
I don't think I'd enjoy Deep Impact. Cerebral? In a disaster movie? What's the point of that?

Nah, it's a good mixture I reckon, it plays pretty well the first time around, when you're really not sure how it's going to end.  It's got Robert Duvall in it too  :thumbsup: