Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950358 times)

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #3200 on: 14 April, 2013, 10:18:52 am »
Last night was movie night here, so we watched "Wreck It Ralph" whilst eating hotdogs.

It is fun, I love the references to old arcade games and the subtle humour.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #3201 on: 14 April, 2013, 10:55:39 am »
A French Film - Adieu Berthe, or Granny's Funeral. Silly French comedy.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #3202 on: 14 April, 2013, 12:00:52 pm »
.. Even more weird, Adele's twin sister (you know, the one in the coma following the bizarre tennis accident) bore more than a passing resemblance to Mme Charlotte OTP.  Spooky.

Hmm, that didn't occur to me when I watched it, but I must dig out the Bluray and have a check.

... and saw The Extraordinary Adventures last night. Not disappointed, very enjoyable. However, having watched Holy Motors last week, it did prompt the comment "Are all French films completely crazy?"

That seems a reasonable judgement, albeit probably based on just the small cross section that are popular outside of the French borders.

Still, crazy is good, I like crazy films. :thumbsup:
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3203 on: 14 April, 2013, 05:38:12 pm »
Oblivion

Straightforward sci-fi. Enjoyable, as long as you ignore the fact that the leading man is Tom Cruise.

Mrs Sox and have a pact. We don't like Tom Cruise.

But we have at times both enjoyed some his films (Few Good Men, War of the Worlds and some other that escapes me set in the future when he a policeman with ESP trying to prevent a crime from happening)
As for Eyes Wide Shut, Vanilla Sky and Days of Thunder, absoloute tosh.

(Well some of them - forget Eyes Wide Shut, Vanilla Sky

Wascally Weasel

• Slayer of Dragons and killer of threads.
« Reply #3204 on: 15 April, 2013, 05:46:56 am »
Wargames (yet again) since we seem to be back in the 80s.

Either I'm an unreliable judge due to how long I have had a relationship with the film or it has aged really well.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3205 on: 15 April, 2013, 07:03:14 am »
The Hunter

Thoughtful Australian film starring Willem Defoe about a hunter for hire dropped into a family whilst he attempts to track down the tasmanian devil.  Lushly filmed, well acted and an absorbing story.  Two thumbs fresh.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3206 on: 15 April, 2013, 01:02:08 pm »
Wargames (yet again) since we seem to be back in the 80s.

Either I'm an unreliable judge due to how long I have had a relationship with the film or it has aged really well.

I saw it when it was on TV some time last year, for the first time in a very long time, and had exactly the same reaction. It's just a very well made film. And Matthew Broderick is great.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #3207 on: 15 April, 2013, 01:38:45 pm »
... and some other that escapes me set in the future when he a policeman with ESP trying to prevent a crime from happening ...

I believe you mean Minority Report, one of the various films based on a Philip K Dick story (in this case a short story).  I was tolerant of Tom Cruise in this, unlike in the Mission Impossible films, which don't live up to the original TV series.

The Hobbit, in 3D (of course!) which I quite liked.  I felt that the Lord of the Rings tried to pack too much into the three films, whereas The Hobbit seemed more reasonably paced, even though others have criticised it for being too long.  It's the first film on Bluray that I've bought, where it's split over two discs.

I loved the trolls and the goblin king, very humorously done. :thumbsup: ;D

Definitely looking forward to the next two films.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #3208 on: 15 April, 2013, 11:39:23 pm »
Oblivion. Enjoyed it.

Does feature the worlds most pathetic motorbike too.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3209 on: 16 April, 2013, 10:13:27 am »
Scanners - good to see it again but not as great as I remembered.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3210 on: 16 April, 2013, 11:01:36 pm »
Seven Psychopaths - way more fun than the mixed reviews had led me to believe.

ian

« Reply #3211 on: 17 April, 2013, 10:58:29 am »
Oblivion. I quite enjoyed it too. Indeed the plot is telegraphed way ahead, but the twists are handled deftly and how they're going to handle them keeps up the interest. I'd agree too long though, the second half did seem to occasionally stop to regard its footwear rather than run apace like a first half.

Cool swimming pool too. Want one.

« Reply #3212 on: 17 April, 2013, 11:47:26 am »
Cabin in the Woods. I was expecting it to be the standard "5 teenagers go to stay in a cabin and end up dying horribly" but it has a different slant on it which I quite liked. Got silly but I don't find anything wrong with a bit of silliness in a film.

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #3213 on: 17 April, 2013, 03:41:51 pm »
Oblivion.

Y'know, it's starting to seem like Oblivion is a bit of a surprise success.  Everyone I chatted to about it a few weeks ago was a bit 'meh' about going to see it, but I'm another one who quite enjoyed it.  I think we're all getting old.  Or maybe that last year's Promethean bollock-drop corrected my expectations!
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

« Reply #3214 on: 17 April, 2013, 04:12:46 pm »
It's almost the opposite of Prometheus. Simplish story. Clean, simple sets. Some emotional engagement with the characters, with limited use of throwaway characters who are just there to be slaughtered.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Riggers

• Mine's a pipe, er… pint!
« Reply #3215 on: 17 April, 2013, 04:30:42 pm »
… a bit like any never-before-seen-character-on-Star-Trek visiting the surface of a planet with Captain Kirk, et al.

What could possibly go wrong for them I wonder?
Certainly never seen cycling south of Sussex

ian

« Reply #3216 on: 17 April, 2013, 07:17:52 pm »
It's almost the opposite of Prometheus. Simplish story. Clean, simple sets. Some emotional engagement with the characters, with limited use of throwaway characters who are just there to be slaughtered.

Not to mention characters lacking the PhD in stupid where they're one minute scared of a dark corridor and the next offering a not-exactly-cuddly alien a chin tickle like it's some kind of space kitten.

I think someone accurately retitled Prometheus as Idiots in Space.

As a bonus, I got the IMAXed trailer for Pacific Rim. Heh, giant robot punching a giant monster right in the chops. Bring. It. On.

andygates

• Peroxide Viking
« Reply #3217 on: 17 April, 2013, 07:55:15 pm »
Rocket punch, no less.  :)

Last night was The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford.  Languid pace, stonkingly creepy performance by Casey Affleck as Ford, lovely soundtrack.
It takes blood and guts to be this cool but I'm still just a cliché.
OpenStreetMap UK & IRL Streetmap & Topo: ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps updates weekly.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #3218 on: 19 April, 2013, 09:29:30 pm »
Yay!

My favouritist fillum is on now.

Airplane!

Best fillum evva!
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Pancho

• لَا أَعْبُدُ مَا تَعْبُدُونَ
« Reply #3219 on: 19 April, 2013, 09:59:03 pm »
We Need to Talk About Kevin

Sorry, but that is a really, really duff film. I cannot understand how it received the praise it did. It was pedestrian to watch yet failed entirely to even try do anything but tell a very boring story. And yet the subject matter had the potential to be thought provoking, interesting and challenging.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3220 on: 19 April, 2013, 10:35:38 pm »
Oh. I thought it was an incredibly powerful film that said a lot about what it's like to be a mother in that situation. (YMMV, of course.)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Flynn

• Fred Killah
« Reply #3221 on: 21 April, 2013, 10:18:50 pm »
The Karate Kid (2010 Jackie Chan Jaden Smith). I wasn't expecting much, it's a remake of a cheesy 80s 'classic' after all, but this was vastly superior to the original. Better setting, better cast, better acting, better direction. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
ap·a·thy  (p-th)
n.
1. Lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference.

Hillbilly

« Reply #3222 on: 22 April, 2013, 05:19:38 am »
Resident Evil Retribution

I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a fan of sticking your nose in freshly soiled pants and inhaling deeply.  I say this as a person who has enjoyed past entries in this low brow but at times fun series.

Wascally Weasel

« Reply #3223 on: 22 April, 2013, 08:27:09 am »
Olympus has Fallen. A friend described it as watching like someone play Call of Duty really badly.

It's a terrible and stupid film.

Jakob

« Reply #3224 on: 22 April, 2013, 07:12:58 pm »
Resident Evil Retribution

I wouldn't recommend it unless you are a fan of sticking your nose in freshly soiled pants and inhaling deeply.  I say this as a person who has enjoyed past entries in this low brow but at times fun series.

Main problem is that Milla Jovovich isn't naked at any point in the movie.

(But yeah, I've enjoyed the series for what it was, but this one was really bad)