Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950244 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #4600 on: 14 December, 2014, 02:28:28 pm »
Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy.
Loved it.
Life is good even in a cockle shell.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4601 on: 16 December, 2014, 02:54:59 pm »
'Let Me In'

Frame by frame Hammer/USAnian remake of the Swedish original.
Why bother?
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #4602 on: 16 December, 2014, 03:53:47 pm »
The Swedish version is well worth it.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4603 on: 16 December, 2014, 04:08:39 pm »
"If you only watch one Swedish vampire movie this year it should be this [Let The Right One In] one" - Dr Larrington
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4604 on: 16 December, 2014, 04:09:11 pm »
Mamma Mia.

It's awful, isn't it.
Milk please, no sugar.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4605 on: 16 December, 2014, 05:33:52 pm »
'Let Me In'

Why bother?
Loved the original. VERY NEARLY taped this version for that reason,  and cos of Chloe Moretz (sp?).

You.ve reassured me I made the right call (the digibox has plenty of good-to-excellent films sitting unwatched by us ...)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Andrew

« Reply #4606 on: 16 December, 2014, 08:36:01 pm »
Mamma Mia.

It's awful, isn't it.

Yes.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #4607 on: 16 December, 2014, 11:51:42 pm »
'Let Me In'

Why bother?

Because the one thing more terrifying than vampires is USAnian high school (which probably explains why it seems to be their natural environment these days)?

I thought it was quite good, but I haven't seen the original.  Which is usually the best way round.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4608 on: 17 December, 2014, 12:12:56 am »
The Bunga Bunga Games, Mocking Yay!

Having said that it was nice to watch a film without an ending. Plus one with the Jennifer Lawrence in it. It wasn't as bad as it sounds. Although there was stuff in it that didn't quite make sense. How did the ceiling of the shelter crack when it  was 400 stories below the ground and they got up the staircase ok...

Can't wait for the final one.

Oh, bugger. Have to wait.

Still, at least there weren't 5 armies and it wasn't spread over three films.
It is simpler than it looks.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #4609 on: 17 December, 2014, 10:42:10 am »
'Let Me In'

Why bother?

Because the one thing more terrifying than vampires is USAnian high school (which probably explains why it seems to be their natural environment these days)?

I thought it was quite good, but I haven't seen the original.  Which is usually the best way round.

I believe I have a DVD of the original if you want to watch it
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4610 on: 17 December, 2014, 12:03:25 pm »
Mamma Mia.

It's awful, isn't it.

Yes.

Let me think about this.  Pierce Brosnan, not only acting, but singing ABBA songs.

I think dreadful is more apt as it removes any potential link to the phrase "full of awe"and replaces it with a link to the more appropriate "full of dread" .

Is shitful a word?
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4611 on: 17 December, 2014, 12:47:26 pm »
Mamma Mia.

It's awful, isn't it.

Yes.

Let me think about this.  Pierce Brosnan, not only acting, but singing ABBA songs.

I think dreadful is more apt as it removes any potential link to the phrase "full of awe"and replaces it with a link to the more appropriate "full of dread" .

Is shitful a word?

I don't think it's so shit as to warrant 'shitful'.  It's not supposed to be Chekhov.  I just think the overdone stagey acting doesn't work particularly well for a film.  And Pierce is gorgeous to look at, and so is Mr. Darcy. 

The bit where Meryl sings 'The Winner Takes It All' to Pierce is absolutely great, because Meryl can do that stuff and get away with it because she's Meryl, and that's a bloody great song.

It's probably a great stage show, and if you go and see it with a bunch of mates after a bottle of wine and sing along it's probably fun too. 

But watching it on my own was just annoying, and that bit where they do 'Slipping Through My Fingers', the best ever ABBA song, made me all maudlin and weepy.
Milk please, no sugar.

spindrift

« Reply #4612 on: 17 December, 2014, 12:51:17 pm »
The Winner Takes it All was the silliest moment in the film, Brosnan singing is like throwing a cat in a tumble drier, the whole film is manipulative and cheesy but nowhere near as bad as the rip off that starred Gemma Artertons sister Walking on Sunshine.

"Business or holiday?" Asks the customs bloke, and GAS launches into Holiday by Madonna. I'm not making this up.

ian

« Reply #4613 on: 17 December, 2014, 12:58:12 pm »
Everything is Awesome! (Finally.)

Definitely more awesome than an awesome possum.

And yes, I've been humming that song since the weekend. Thanks, Tegan & Sara.

« Reply #4614 on: 18 December, 2014, 08:01:50 pm »
Transcendence

Stunning cast, doing what they do really well. But... why did they agree to do this????

Srsly, don't bother.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4615 on: 18 December, 2014, 11:36:15 pm »
Her

Spike Jonze thing. I liked it a lot, in an Eternal Sunshine kind of way. It's more interesting than just a quirky romcom about a man falling in love with his computer - it actually has some interesting (if not entirely original) things to say about relationships and identity. Only thing I'm not convinced about is that a glorified greetings card writer could earn enough to live his lifestyle.

Spoilerish comment to follow...
(click to show/hide)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #4616 on: 19 December, 2014, 08:40:00 am »
Mamma Mia.

It's awful, isn't it.

Yes.

Is shitful a word?

I don't think it's so shit as to warrant 'shitful'.  It's not supposed to be Chekhov.  I just think the overdone stagey acting doesn't work particularly well for a film.  And Pierce is gorgeous to look at, and so is Mr. Darcy. 

The bit where Meryl sings 'The Winner Takes It All' to Pierce is absolutely great, because Meryl can do that stuff and get away with it because she's Meryl, and that's a bloody great song.

It's probably a great stage show, and if you go and see it with a bunch of mates after a bottle of wine and sing along it's probably fun too. 

But watching it on my own was just annoying, and that bit where they do 'Slipping Through My Fingers', the best ever ABBA song, made me all maudlin and weepy.

Mrs A and I saw it on stage in Edinburgh.  It was actually rather good.  Sorry but I haven't seen the film and you & co have now put me right off watching it!
Move Faster and Bake Things

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #4617 on: 22 December, 2014, 06:57:20 pm »
Mamma Mia.

It's awful, isn't it.

Yes.

Is shitful a word?

I don't think it's so shit as to warrant 'shitful'.  It's not supposed to be Chekhov.

"Brosnanful" ?

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

essexian

« Reply #4618 on: 24 December, 2014, 08:12:42 am »
Dumb and Dumber to. *

I’ve heard it said that sequels are never as good as the original and in the case of “Dumb and Dumber to”, this is certainly true. After a wait of over 20 years, what did we get….well basically a rehash of the first film but this time with aged “heroes” who really, despite being “dumb” should know better.

Yes, there were some good laughs, some titters and some “they didn’t just do that did they” moments, but overall, the film was just juvenile and stupid….. Now all those years ago, I would have loved that but now days, it just didn’t cut the mustard.

I don’t think I was the only one disappointed by the film….my considerably better half doesn’t think she laughed more than once, while the cinema, with a house of about 40, was quite quiet….apart from the idiots at the back who could not eat without making an epic amount of noise!

Given that this follow up didn’t work IMHO, I now fear for any follow up which might be made of the most excellent Bill and Ted films. I would say that unless the script is first rate, DON’T BOTHER…. I would rather have my memories intact than one ruined by a cash making exercise.

*For my own "dumb" moment... I managed to walk into a wall in the cinema (well it was dark) and I think I may have broken my little finger....ouch..... and then when we got home, I discovered I had managed to lock ourselves off of the drive.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #4619 on: 24 December, 2014, 08:20:27 am »
All the reviews I read gave it 1 star. Not sure why they didn't give it no stars. It should have lost a start for the abject stupidity of the title, which will further illiteracy.
It is simpler than it looks.

Andrew

« Reply #4620 on: 24 December, 2014, 11:07:09 am »
The Babadook

Classic horror with nods to Lon Chaney and Nosferatu. A children's storybook nightmare with and an overlay of psychological 'is she going nuts?'. Not a big budget movie but very well put together and acted, particularly the young boy. Very much recommended. 

fuzzy

« Reply #4621 on: 26 December, 2014, 11:55:44 pm »
For christmas I got the DVD of Breaking Glass, a film I haven't seen since I saw it for the second time at the cinema when it was on its original release. A real blast from the past with great music. Many of the tracks I haven't heard for a few years (since I joined the army in 1982 and mislaid my record collection) but the lyrics soon started trickling off my tongue. A great film, though may not have aged as well as it might.

This was followed by Tron Legacy. A reasonable sequal though not as good as the original film.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #4622 on: 26 December, 2014, 11:58:10 pm »
New Hobbit film.   

Its not the book, but as a film it is great fun, big battle scenes, love, dragons, wizards, elves, nasty orcs, great brain off entertainment. thoroughly enjoyed it.

Agreed, except for the love bit with the she-elf which really is annoying IMO.  The film doesn't need it.

We saw it in IMAX 3D, which was marvellous.
Milk please, no sugar.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #4623 on: 27 December, 2014, 07:40:21 am »
Sin City. Highly recommended for a kiddies' outing.  Inlaw Paw wondered why we were watching bad 1950s US TV.  Great photography.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #4624 on: 27 December, 2014, 02:13:56 pm »
Sin City. Highly recommended for a kiddies' outing.  Inlaw Paw wondered why we were watching bad 1950s US TV.  Great photography.
Heh. you ought to contribute to this page http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/parentalguide

(I like PawinLaw's 1950s comment!)

It is visually stunning. But very much less than the sum of its parts. Personally I think the gore was too much - it detracted from the story. Probably works fine on the printed page. Just MHO!

(Havent seen the 2nd one - will wait for free TV release.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles