Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 955793 times)

fuzzy

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #6450 on: 28 June, 2016, 02:25:13 pm »
R.I.P.D.

Ryan Reynolds stars as a murdered cop seconded to the Rest In Peace Department before arrival in the hereafter. He is then teamed up with Jeff Bridges who plays a departed wild west lawman.

They set about saving the world from the undead (Deado's).

A bit like a mix between MIB and Ghostbusters with ordinance.

Very funny.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6451 on: 28 June, 2016, 03:26:39 pm »
The "El Mariachi" series.  Interesting to observe the pattern across the three films: the first film had unknown stars and a budget of $7000, and was excellent; the second had big names, a budget of $7 million and a crappy bog-standard plot obviously forced on it by Columbia; the third still had the big names and a bigger budget but a much better script.  The first one is by far and away the best.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #6452 on: 02 July, 2016, 04:14:16 pm »
Sharknado 2: The Second One

Far more silly than the first film.  It has a lot of cameos, but I don't think anyone other than a USAian would recognise many of them, since they seem to be mostly from US TV.  As usual, they kill people at a rapid pace, and find original ways to get in trouble, and kill sharks.  Mostly the people seem to get killed by having the sharks fall on them.

Fin Shepard should obviously be avoided at all costs, since like John McClane, he appears to have a strong affinity for death and destruction.  Who else would have to land a jet aircraft because of an engine shark strike?!
Actually, it is rocket science.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6453 on: 02 July, 2016, 04:20:37 pm »
You've almost persuaded me to watch it.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #6454 on: 02 July, 2016, 06:09:58 pm »
Having recently signed up for Netflix, we have been having a bit of a film binge, so over the last 7 days, as a family, we have watched :

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Avengers Assemble
Captain America
Captain America : The Winter Soldier

All enjoyable, the first CA film I had forgotten nearly all of, The Boy...  was very emotional.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

billplumtree

• Plumbing the well of gitness
« Reply #6455 on: 02 July, 2016, 08:44:47 pm »
Sunset Song.  God, that was dire.  Supposedly set in the hills above Aberdeen, at the time of the Great War - but, hey, any old general-purpose vaguely scottish accent will do.  And some of the acting was even less convincing.  I've ordered the book (in fact the trilogy of which this is the first part), in the hope that I'll get more from that, cos I'm sure there's a decent story in there somewhere.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6456 on: 02 July, 2016, 10:37:06 pm »
Enough Said

Apart from Toni Collette, it was a load of crap.  Another middle-aged dating movie, pah.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #6457 on: 02 July, 2016, 11:57:08 pm »
On the train up to Bath the day before last I watched Groundhog Day. I love that film. I may just plonk myself down next time it is Groundhog Day and find one of the channels that plays it back to back all day long.

And last night I re-watched, for the first time in years, The Running Man, classic Arnold nonsense. I've got Total Recall with me to watch too  :thumbsup:  ;D :facepalm:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Andrew

« Reply #6458 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:10:32 am »
Tale of Tales enigmatic and beautiful, at times ugly and cruel. As fairy tales need to be.

Andrew

« Reply #6459 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:12:48 am »
On the train up to Bath the day before last I watched Groundhog Day. I love that film

One of my all time favourites. And I don't really know why. It just works for me.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6460 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:34:45 am »
Currently watching the rather stereotyped Nardone series.  Lacks the flair of Montalbano but the cars are nice.

On the train up to Bath the day before last I watched Groundhog Day. I love that film

One of my all time favourites. And I don't really know why. It just works for me.

Never seen it.  For some reason I thought it featured Robin Williams and avoided it. He was a great actor, but something about him always made me blench.

spindrift

« Reply #6461 on: 03 July, 2016, 01:22:10 pm »
It struck me that Groundhog is dodgy enough as it is, Bill Murray is basically trying to have sex with a woman so he manipulates her emotions to inveigle himself with her. It's a bit like the Richard Curtis time-traveling film where he bends time to get inside someone's knickers. Seems wrong somehow.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6462 on: 03 July, 2016, 01:23:36 pm »
See H.G. Wells, "The Man who could Work Miracles". The Korda version is good.

Andrew

« Reply #6463 on: 03 July, 2016, 03:26:46 pm »
It struck me that Groundhog is dodgy enough as it is, Bill Murray is basically trying to have sex with a woman so he manipulates her emotions to inveigle himself with her. It's a bit like the Richard Curtis time-traveling film where he bends time to get inside someone's knickers. Seems wrong somehow.

Indeed. It doesn't bear too close a scrutiny really. Lord knows how many years Murray's character spent practising his chat up lines until he finally bedded McDowell's character... but he finally did it. And that's when he finally gets to wake up to a new day. As you say, it's on well dodgy ground. Added to that, the McDowell character - despite being a strong and intelligent women - goes from loathing this selfish slob, a man she has hated for years, to loving him within the space of a few hours (of her time) There's a decidedly male perspective, a misogyny even, to the film. She's a conquest for him, albeit one that requires him to become a 'better person' in the process.

I acknowledge all of that yet still find myself liking the film immensely. Call it a weakness. I like Depeche Mode too    :-\

« Reply #6464 on: 03 July, 2016, 05:25:17 pm »
I thought she was a new producer and hadn't known him that long?

And I read it as more once he stops thinking of her as a conquest and stops acting to only help himself does he get out of the loop.

And the barman's wry grin at both his and the cameraman's antics - is that just a barman's standard I've seen everything grin or does he know something? Echoes of Quantum Leap if so.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #6465 on: 03 July, 2016, 05:37:08 pm »
Having recently signed up for Netflix, we have been having a bit of a film binge, so over the last 7 days, as a family, we have watched :

The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas
Avengers Assemble
Captain America
Captain America : The Winter Soldier

All enjoyable, the first CA film I had forgotten nearly all of, The Boy...  was very emotional.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6466 on: 03 July, 2016, 05:45:09 pm »
Boo hoo. CA's not available on French Netflix. :(

Andrew

« Reply #6467 on: 03 July, 2016, 05:48:48 pm »
I thought she was a new producer and hadn't known him that long?

Maybe, dunno, don't remember. She didn't like him at all was my over exaggerated meaning. Maybe she knew of him before actually working with him? Again, dunno. I'm grasping!

And I read it as more once he stops thinking of her as a conquest and stops acting to only help himself does he get out of the loop.

Yes, I can see that reading. My overly earnest, sensitive youth wouldn't have allowed me to go there though. 'All men are bastards etc and women need protecting from us' sort of thing.

I really ought watch it again oughtn't I?  ;)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6468 on: 03 July, 2016, 06:44:27 pm »
I thought the implication was that they *didn't* have sex and the loop was broken because that didn't matter to him any more.

But never mind that, he's supposed to have spent decades in the time loop (self-evident, because it takes years to really develop a skill).  And for some reason he *doesn't* completely freak out when the loop is finally broken and he doesn't know what's going to happen any more...

TBH, the great thing about Groundhog Day is that any subsequent story featuring a time loop pretty much has to make reference to it, even when played straight. :)

« Reply #6469 on: 03 July, 2016, 07:08:42 pm »
I thought the implication was that they *didn't* have sex and the loop was broken because that didn't matter to him any more.

They don't have sex, the loop is broken because he finally stops trying to stop being a douche and does nice things for other people for no reason other than to be nice.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

spindrift

« Reply #6470 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:38:41 pm »
I did misremember, he changes the curse by karmic means.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Headscratchers/GroundhogDay

So Murray did two Scrooge films.

« Reply #6471 on: 03 July, 2016, 08:42:19 pm »
That's true, I didn't consider the actual sex angle but they DO wake up in pajamas. Then again that's sometimes the case in films anyway along with the L-shaped duvet.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #6472 on: 04 July, 2016, 12:30:04 am »
Ab Fab

Don't watch it if you didn't care for the TV series.  ;)
It is simpler than it looks.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6473 on: 04 July, 2016, 08:42:39 am »
TBH, the great thing about Groundhog Day is that any subsequent story featuring a time loop pretty much has to make reference to it, even when played straight. :)

Bloody hell, you mean that if I watch it I'll have to watch all the others all over again?

If I build a time machine I'll go back and murder Bill Murray's grandfather (some time around the Boer War).

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6474 on: 04 July, 2016, 01:43:37 pm »
Man with a Cinecamera. It's like a love song to the future, hope, achievement, happiness and above all of course cinema, against the backdrop of a big city (at least three, actually) in the early days of the Soviet Union.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.