Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950362 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #7175 on: 04 March, 2017, 11:11:55 pm »
Make sure you keep a tally of Daniel's deaths...   :D

« Reply #7176 on: 04 March, 2017, 11:19:15 pm »
Yeah he's good at that isn't he?
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7177 on: 05 March, 2017, 08:43:41 pm »
Butbutbut, it's got Kurt Russell in it!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #7178 on: 06 March, 2017, 09:51:14 am »
Ah Stargate. Didn't Daniel 'Daniel' Jackson just zip around the universe having sex with the people he found? All of them. My wife has a thing for Jack, so I've hid the box sets. He's old enough to be her father.

Re Logan's Run, ironically, if we topped people at age 30, no one would remember Logan's Run. Didn't they remake it as an utterly forgettable movie a few years back?

Saw Logan yesterday on the big box. As mentioned, it's not cheery, but it's an interestingly adult take on the theme. Even superheroes get old and the violence is very much. My only gripe was that dragged a bit, the conclusion was already written in the first fifteen minutes so it was just a case of getting there. Oddly prescient view of the US's decline too.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7179 on: 06 March, 2017, 12:07:55 pm »
Moonlight

With the disclaimer that it's one of those somebody-wants-an-Oscar films, it's not bad.  Something about the audio made it non-specifically hard work.

A Street Cat Named Bob

I had fairly low expectations for this one, and was pleasantly surprised.  The fundamental flaw is that cats have no acting skills whatsoever, and Bob's body language breaks the fourth wall in most of the 'action' scenes.  Since it seems the only way to get on-screen cats right is for them to be animated by Studio Ghibli, we'll let them off.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7180 on: 06 March, 2017, 12:10:08 pm »
Watched Sing Street again last night. It stands up well to repeat viewings - it's just a charming and very well made film. And the songs are great too.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #7181 on: 06 March, 2017, 12:56:58 pm »
Unstoppable

Unspeakable.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #7182 on: 06 March, 2017, 01:22:07 pm »

Re Logan's Run, ironically, if we topped people at age 30, no one would remember Logan's Run. Didn't they remake it as an utterly forgettable movie a few years back?

I'd heard there was a remake in the offing - didn't realise they'd actually done it.

Logan's Run is a weird one in that it's one where I actually preferred the TV Series over the movie.  It was a bit like Star Trek for me as a kid, a must watch.  What I think I won't do is subject myself to trying to track it down and rewatch it.  A bit like Blake's Seven, it should maybe live in the memory rather get ruined by trying to watch it again. 
Yeah I did that with Blake's 7.  Noooooo!  I remember it being GOOD  :'(
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7183 on: 06 March, 2017, 01:34:50 pm »

I'd heard there was a remake in the offing - didn't realise they'd actually done it.

Logan's Run is a weird one in that it's one where I actually preferred the TV Series over the movie.  It was a bit like Star Trek for me as a kid, a must watch.  What I think I won't do is subject myself to trying to track it down and rewatch it.  A bit like Blake's Seven, it should maybe live in the memory rather get ruined by trying to watch it again. 
Yeah I did that with Blake's 7.  Noooooo!  I remember it being GOOD  :'(

IMDB has it as in development.  Seems a bit closer to the original:

"A young man at odds with his society's mandatory death sentence for all those turning 21 plots a daring escape on the eve of his fateful birthday."

Quite a few other films have milked the same sort of theme - utopian existence maintained by sudden death - in the interim, though. I doubt if it'll fly.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7184 on: 06 March, 2017, 04:48:47 pm »
Stargate the fillim. Which I've not seen in donkeys years but have watched loads of the tv series in the interim. I thought it held up rather well on the whole.

Watched that years ago and thought it was crap.  Just had another look at it and confirmed first opinion.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7185 on: 06 March, 2017, 05:01:52 pm »
Stargate the fillim. Which I've not seen in donkeys years but have watched loads of the tv series in the interim. I thought it held up rather well on the whole.

Watched that years ago and thought it was crap.  Just had another look at it and confirmed first opinion.

It suffers from a lack of Richard Dean Anderson.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #7186 on: 06 March, 2017, 11:58:13 pm »
A streetcat named Bob.

Weepiness is me.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #7187 on: 07 March, 2017, 08:57:30 am »
Stargate the fillim.
Went to see this at the flicks (not my choice of movie).  Absolutely god-awful.  Fell asleep halfway through and got better value for the second half - at least the seats were comfy IIRC.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7188 on: 07 March, 2017, 09:07:01 am »

It suffers from a lack of Richard Dean Anderson.

And the presence of Kurt Russel. But generally it's the basic assumptions that piss me off:

(click to show/hide)

That's where I pulled the plug yesterday.

In other words, it's crap.

caerau

« Reply #7189 on: 07 March, 2017, 09:21:26 am »
Given that I saw Stargate at the magic moving picture house back in the 1990s.  I'm not sure we *really* need spoiler hides when discussing it.

So sorry... :P

But generally it's the basic assumptions that piss me off:

a. that any sufficiently interesting artefact unearthed in the 3rd world will automatically end up in the USofA

Well indeed.  Any artefact of note will of course be in the hands of rogue archeologists closely pursued by deranged Nazis.

It's the LAW

ian

« Reply #7190 on: 07 March, 2017, 09:55:33 am »
Stargate, the movie, was pretty tiresome. It was set up as a great idea (well, for a boy who read all the Eric von Daniken in the local library it was) but then it was a case of really, another hour and half to fill? Which they did with Kurt Russell gurning. But the series was a lot better. Because it had Jack, mosty. But the others were OK, other than Daniel who was professionally useless. And the baddies who were consistently the poorest shots in the entire universe. And every planet looking a exactly like British Columbia. There was Chevron Guy too, we like him in our house. I wouldn't trust anyone else to open a stargate for me. That man could lock a chevron.

Other values of Stargate were not as good, of course, though I watched them all out of religious obligation.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7191 on: 07 March, 2017, 11:38:15 am »
Yet another shoot-em-up by the sound of it, all terse military jabber, people being "tasked", and interstellar Injuns rolling over dead in the nick.

I would like to see a faithfully-made film of Perdido Street Station.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7192 on: 07 March, 2017, 12:35:23 pm »
a. that any sufficiently interesting artefact unearthed in the 3rd world will automatically end up in the USofA

Fixed in the series.  The Stargate ended up in the USofA.  The device for controlling it didn't.  Which is why they had to spend so much time MacGyvering their own.

b. that the first team sent through an alien interstellar transport device will consist of ignorant jocks armed to the teeth and led by a blockhead who despises the only scientist (of sorts) they drag along.

Also fixed in the series, where routine stargate operations are portrayed as scientific as much as military.  The opening scene of half the episodes must involve a couple of our favourite jocks standing around boredly while the boffins catalogue some ancient artifact (before, inevitably, either  a) aliens attack  b) someone presses the wrong button, with hilarious consequences  or c) they bring some object back to earth inna Trojan horse style).

Anyway, Von Daniken's writing is as good a basis for a popcorn scifi series as any.  I thought SG-1 (for which the film is best  regarded as a pilot) did it rather well, not least because it never took itself too seriously.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7193 on: 07 March, 2017, 12:42:29 pm »
Passengers

A poorly-written story in which our hero selflessly chooses to devote her existence to fulfilling her stalker's whim in order to ensure the safety of a spaceship with over 5000 hibernating people on board.  As a metaphor for abusive relationships it falls short.  As a sci-fi romance it's just creepy.

Pretty graphics, dodgy physics, enough design flaws to keep the RISKS Digest going for weeks and a conspicuous absence of a plot twist.

I inspected an off-site backup of this one so you don't have to.

caerau

« Reply #7194 on: 07 March, 2017, 12:43:46 pm »
Hmm, that's a shame, I thought the trailers for that made it look intriguing.  Never mind.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7195 on: 07 March, 2017, 02:28:33 pm »
Anyway, Von Daniken's writing is as good a basis for a popcorn scifi series as any.  I thought SG-1 (for which the film is best  regarded as a pilot) did it rather well, not least because it never took itself too seriously.

Was Stargate really based on that charlatan's maunderings? Jesus wept.  Give me Edgar Rice Bourroughs any day: my string-theory-PhD nephew alternately screamed and wept when I described how the Martians stored the Ninth Ray in on-board tanks.

Chris S

« Reply #7196 on: 07 March, 2017, 02:41:01 pm »
Passengers

A poorly-written story in which our hero selflessly chooses to devote her existence to fulfilling her stalker's whim in order to ensure the safety of a spaceship with over 5000 hibernating people on board.  As a metaphor for abusive relationships it falls short.  As a sci-fi romance it's just creepy.

Pretty graphics, dodgy physics, enough design flaws to keep the RISKS Digest going for weeks and a conspicuous absence of a plot twist.

I inspected an off-site backup of this one so you don't have to.

I too have tested an off-site backup, and my views haven't changed from when we saw it at the cinema: (https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6884.msg2117238#msg2117238).

On the small-screen, not even the CGI can save it. I think I may delete it.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7197 on: 07 March, 2017, 03:14:47 pm »

ha!

Hahaha

Hahahahahahaha-hahahaha.

Ha!

Sorry. Good luck with that ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #7198 on: 07 March, 2017, 03:51:49 pm »

ha!

Hahaha

Hahahahahahaha-hahahaha.

Ha!

Sorry. Good luck with that ...

The BBC announced in August 2015 that it had commissioned an adaptation of The City & The City. The fact that it hasn't yet made it to our screens speaks volumes.

I'm looking forward to it though. Eventually.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

ian

« Reply #7199 on: 07 March, 2017, 04:00:02 pm »

Was Stargate really based on that charlatan's maunderings? Jesus wept.  Give me Edgar Rice Bourroughs any day: my string-theory-PhD nephew alternately screamed and wept when I described how the Martians stored the Ninth Ray in on-board tanks.

Yes, but there's bad and there's Prometheus. I'm banned from talking about that on here. But hey, Alien: Covenant is coming.