Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 950560 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #10075 on: 05 May, 2023, 09:28:14 pm »
Withnail and I (again).

"I feel like a pig shat in my head."
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #10076 on: 05 May, 2023, 11:11:45 pm »
Ah, that reminds me....
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #10077 on: 05 May, 2023, 11:13:47 pm »
Zoltan, Hound of Dracula. You can guess the rest, love Talking Pictures TV.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #10078 on: 06 May, 2023, 07:36:12 am »
Zoltan, Hound of Dracula. You can guess the rest
"Don't go up to the old castle after dark!"

(goes up to the old castle after dark)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #10079 on: 11 May, 2023, 10:05:05 pm »
Guardian of the Galaxy pt 3. I've been a bit down on Marvel movies lately, but this was really very awesome. It did make my wife cry though (if you've seen it, you will know why). I am made of sterner stuff, of course.

« Reply #10080 on: 15 May, 2023, 01:50:46 pm »
Guardian of the Galaxy pt 3. I've been a bit down on Marvel movies lately, but this was really very awesome. It did make my wife cry though (if you've seen it, you will know why). I am made of sterner stuff, of course.
I was warned.
Expect to be more emotional than you expect in a Marvel Movie
I too am made of sterner stuff.

I liked it. But it was probably at least half an hour too long. IMO you can cut all that shizzle with joopjoop out no problemo.

We watched at Everyman which has super overpriced drink and food delivered to your seat. Ketchup and mayo in the dark, what can possibly go wrong?

ian

« Reply #10081 on: 15 May, 2023, 07:27:21 pm »
I'd agree they could have shaved some of the run-time to no loss, it certainly stayed into the bladder zone, more so when you have to outwait the entire credits for the inevitable post-credit scene.

As a fellow Everyman-goer, I don't want to see the auditorium with the lights fully up.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #10082 on: 16 May, 2023, 01:08:43 pm »
Ad Astra last night on Netflix. I think the plan was 'no science, no plot, no dialogue and, hence, no acting' to get in the way of the pretty CGI 'photography'. I know Brad Pitt's chops are limited, but he wasn't even given a chance! As for Apes In Space, wtf was that about? And yet it seems to have gone down well among punters on IMDB.

No wonder flat-earthers are proliferating.

ian

« Reply #10083 on: 16 May, 2023, 08:54:19 pm »
I did see Ad Astra in the cinema when it was released. I couldn't tell you one thing about it, not a single scantling of that movie found purchase in my memory. It's not encouraged me to watch it again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10084 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:21:23 pm »
Is that the one with all the space-suit abuse?

Vague recollection that someone had made an effort to make the space hardware look plausible in a way that gave you inappropriate expectations.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10085 on: 17 May, 2023, 01:43:28 pm »
I watched the first few minutes and baled when things started going crash-bang-wallop in orbit.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10086 on: 17 May, 2023, 02:08:30 pm »
Meanwhile, I re-watched the Back To The Future trilogy in 4k.

Part 1:  Totally holds up.  Spotted little details that I'd previously missed, like the 'permit' for the Doc's 'weather experiment' coming from his wallet, who Chuck Berry is and several US gallons of Pepsi.  Christopher Lloyd's facial expressions really make it.
Part 2:  Donald Trump beyond Thunderdome.  Always the weakest of the three, it doesn't get any easier.  Again, some nice little details.
Part 3:  Train good; Car bad.  Has always been my favourite, in spite of the silly ending.  Hasn't aged well.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10087 on: 17 May, 2023, 04:39:47 pm »
Part 2:  Donald Trump beyond Thunderdome

;D

I completely agree with your assessment on all three.

Though I am mildly surprised* you've managed to miss 'CHUCK, it's your cousin Marvin BERRY' before now - even as a mid-teen when it first came out I thought that gag was laid on a bit thick.

*but who am I to judge? I'm an artist at missing these things.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

TimC

« Reply #10088 on: 17 May, 2023, 05:08:20 pm »
Is that the one with all the space-suit abuse?

Vague recollection that someone had made an effort to make the space hardware look plausible in a way that gave you inappropriate expectations.

Yep, that's the one. I had no expectations as I'd never heard of it, and watched simply for lack of anything better to do (it was that or maybe a fourth binge of Friends). It was the 'crash bang wallop' during the Lunar Pirates (wtf?) bit that made me check IMDB to see if it was intended to be a spoof. Apparently, it wasn't. The rest of the movie was watched with an ever-increasing mix of hilarity and despair. 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' has a rival, IMO.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10089 on: 17 May, 2023, 05:26:14 pm »
Though I am mildly surprised* you've managed to miss 'CHUCK, it's your cousin Marvin BERRY' before now - even as a mid-teen when it first came out I thought that gag was laid on a bit thick.

I was musically oblivious until my later teens, so it's understandable that I'd missed the reference when it came out.  (I think I first saw it on VHS, so I was likely 9 or 10.)

Surprised I didn't clock it when we watched the DVD release[1] with Postman Piers in the early 2000s, thobut.

[1] This was notable for the excellent subtitles, where it was obvious that someone who appreciated the film had put extra effort into comic timing, telling you what the music was doing and so on.  Complete opposite of Ferris Bueller's Day Off.

TimC

« Reply #10090 on: 18 May, 2023, 12:47:42 am »
The Dark Knight. Yes, I know, two movies in two nights - it's a slow week! But unlike yesterday's unhappy discovery, this was something of a revelation. I'm not a comic-book fan, nor any kind of fantasy hero enthusiast. But (and I'm sure I'm last to this party) what a bloody great film! The characters are believably real, even if their roles aren't, and they're played by experts. I was transfixed and delighted. Ok, I'm many years too late - literally in Heath Ledger's case - but I will be happy to watch this film again. I'm not sure I'll extend the truce to the rest of the franchise - I'm not yet a convert to the DC or Marvel worlds - but it's a great reminder that good movies can transcend their origins.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10091 on: 18 May, 2023, 12:58:51 am »
Interesting.  I don't think I've seen that one, and it sounds suspiciously like a Dark Batman[1] film that's ...not terrible?

[1] Adam West is the one true Batman, and all this post-1989 gothic rubbish is a distraction.

« Reply #10092 on: 18 May, 2023, 07:20:07 am »
The Dark Knight. Yes, I know, two movies in two nights - it's a slow week! But unlike yesterday's unhappy discovery, this was something of a revelation. I'm not a comic-book fan, nor any kind of fantasy hero enthusiast. But (and I'm sure I'm last to this party) what a bloody great film! The characters are believably real, even if their roles aren't, and they're played by experts. I was transfixed and delighted. Ok, I'm many years too late - literally in Heath Ledger's case - but I will be happy to watch this film again. I'm not sure I'll extend the truce to the rest of the franchise - I'm not yet a convert to the DC or Marvel worlds - but it's a great reminder that good movies can transcend their origins.
Heath Ledger delivers a truly amazing performance.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

« Reply #10093 on: 18 May, 2023, 07:44:51 am »
Interesting.  I don't think I've seen that one, and it sounds suspiciously like a Dark Batman[1] film that's ...not terrible?

YMMV. I found it over-long and boring. And I felt the extreme violence was problematic in a film aimed at kids (it was a 12A, as "requested" by the distributor, but really should have been a 15 at least, whereas Made In Dagenham which came out a couple of years later was a 15 because of one instance of a naughty word. The BBFC are cowards.  ::-) ).

ETA: further reading - a weaselly justification of the decision, with spoilers: https://www.bbfc.co.uk/education/case-studies/the-dark-knight

« Reply #10094 on: 18 May, 2023, 09:31:04 am »

YMMV. I found it over-long and boring. And I felt the extreme violence was problematic in a film aimed at kids (it was a 12A, as "requested" by the distributor, but really should have been a 15 at least, whereas Made In Dagenham which came out a couple of years later was a 15 because of one instance of a naughty word. The BBFC are cowards.  ::-) ).

ETA: further reading - a weaselly justification of the decision, with spoilers: https://www.bbfc.co.uk/education/case-studies/the-dark-knight
I actually wrote in and objected to The Dark Knight being a 12A.

Felt that the pencil scene was particularly gruesome.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

citoyen

« Reply #10095 on: 18 May, 2023, 09:55:05 am »
I actually wrote in and objected to The Dark Knight being a 12A.

Felt that the pencil scene was particularly gruesome.

I didn't write in but the pencil scene had me considering it.

I took my 10yo to see it in the cinema. Error of judgment on my part, perhaps, but I felt the classification didn't help me make an informed decision, which is surely what it's for.

TimC

« Reply #10096 on: 18 May, 2023, 02:27:55 pm »
I never looked at the classification, but I am surprised it was a 12A.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10097 on: 20 May, 2023, 01:15:56 pm »
Paris, Texas.  Saw when it came out, dubbed into Deutsch, didn't much like it. The Vim Vendor has never been a favourite of mine, but MrsT had never seen it so I got ready to sleep for a couple of hours and hit the button. Surprise: it was fascinating.  Dunno if it would stand seeing again, though.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #10098 on: 23 May, 2023, 08:48:52 am »
Yesterday evening, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. So nailbitingly edge-of-the-seat that
(click to show/hide)

« Reply #10099 on: 24 May, 2023, 11:41:56 pm »
As I grow older my attention span has waned, it's rare that I can watch something though in one go.  Tonights film managed this.  Ridley Scott's "The Duellists".  I've seen bits of it before, but think this was the first time I've seen it in toto.    Beautifully shot & a great cast. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark