Author Topic: Little Eye On The Provinces  (Read 382673 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: Little Eye On The Provinces
« Reply #3225 on: 22 September, 2023, 09:21:23 pm »
To be fair, Agent Orange wouldn't have caused humans any serious harm* had it not been for sloppy manufacture that resulted in a high dioxin content.  Dioxins are very bad, mmkay?

*well, apart from making it easier to find and napalm Charlie
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

ian

« Reply #3226 on: 22 September, 2023, 09:30:06 pm »
It's pretty difficult to make phenoxyesters without dioxin contaminants (well, they can be removed, but expensive).

2,4-D apparently has the power to give men abnormally shaped sperm, which I suppose is a good anecdote for dinner parties. Probably best you don't try to prove it, though.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #3227 on: 22 September, 2023, 10:07:03 pm »
...There were agents blue, pink, purple, white, orange and – wait for it – super-orange. The 'rainbow' herbicides, which, of course sounds a lot better than war crime, environment destruction, birth deformities, poisoning, and mass starvation.

What we have here are the My Little Ponies of the Apocalypse and their codenames.

« Reply #3228 on: 26 September, 2023, 10:57:54 am »
It's pretty difficult to make phenoxyesters without dioxin contaminants (well, they can be removed, but expensive).

2,4-D apparently has the power to give men abnormally shaped sperm, which I suppose is a good anecdote for dinner parties. Probably best you don't try to prove it, though.

And multiple myeloma.
Although that is difficult to isolate; farmers who use 2,4-D also used DDT and many other herbicides and pesticides. We were really careless, mixed the concentrates with bare hands, didn't wear any protective clothing when spraying. It killed my dad and I wouldn't be surprised if I get the same cancer (since we had the same exposure).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

rogerzilla

« Reply #3229 on: 26 September, 2023, 11:19:23 am »
DDT is still used in places with a severe malaria problem.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3230 on: 27 September, 2023, 09:13:51 am »
The mediaeval masonic tradition is alive and well and living in Wiltshire.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-66923628

Perhaps Mr Thomas is descended from one of the masons who worked on Salisbury Cathedral?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3231 on: 27 September, 2023, 09:49:43 am »
The mediaeval masonic tradition is alive and well and living in Wiltshire.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-66923628

Perhaps Mr Thomas is descended from one of the masons who worked on Salisbury Cathedral?
I found his reply to the question ‘are you breaking the law’ very telling. I’m not breaking the law, I’m correcting it!
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #3232 on: 29 September, 2023, 06:46:02 pm »
The sound of one pannier flapping

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3233 on: 29 September, 2023, 06:46:27 pm »
BONG!!!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

rogerzilla

« Reply #3234 on: 02 October, 2023, 06:16:54 pm »

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3235 on: 02 October, 2023, 07:10:21 pm »
Kate Middleton not in Swindon -  https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/23824010.kate-middleton-not-swindon/

From the comments:
"Perhaps they had a game of rock paper scissors to see who had to go to Swindon and she won."
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #3236 on: 02 October, 2023, 07:30:57 pm »

And multiple myeloma.
Although that is difficult to isolate; farmers who use 2,4-D also used DDT and many other herbicides and pesticides. We were really careless, mixed the concentrates with bare hands, didn't wear any protective clothing when spraying. It killed my dad and I wouldn't be surprised if I get the same cancer (since we had the same exposure).

My Devon farming relatives (by marriage) were convinced that, if the correct dose was good, double the dose must be twice as good (I'm thinking of sheep dip).

rogerzilla

« Reply #3237 on: 11 October, 2023, 11:04:34 am »

rogerzilla

« Reply #3238 on: 18 October, 2023, 09:42:19 am »
We're now living in a society where people need a court order to remind them not to shit in public.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23861232.chippenham-street-drinkers-told-not-urinate-defecate-town/

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #3239 on: 18 October, 2023, 09:56:03 am »
We're now living in a society where people need a court order to remind them not to shit in public.

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23861232.chippenham-street-drinkers-told-not-urinate-defecate-town/

As an aside, there appear to be no public toilets in Chippenham.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3240 on: 18 October, 2023, 10:08:54 am »

As an aside, there appear to be no public toilets in Chippenham.
None in Bristol either (except one on the Downs and I think one at CSB, neither of which is council owned).

« Reply #3241 on: 21 October, 2023, 12:27:44 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/oct/20/cardiff-university-students-union-bans-chinos-and-blue-shirts-after-violence 

This was standard office wear for a lot of my life....  I was only once given a verbal warning when I threatened to punch some gobby twat....  :facepalm: [size=78%] [/size]

I'm not quite sure if Cardiff counts as a province  ???
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3242 on: 21 October, 2023, 01:41:45 pm »
It might sound silly that clothes can alter people's behaviour, but not only does it act as a uniform by which people recognise others like or unlike them, it can give people a pattern to model themselves on. I've just been reading a book by Joe Simpson (a mountaineer) in which he mentions someone in his local pub in Sheffield who went from business attire to shaven head, bomber jacket etc (this was the 1980s) and started picking fights. Then later, after one too many fights, reverted to his previous mode of dress and meek and mild behaviour.

Of course those dedicated to violence will simply change their uniform, within certain broad limits.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #3243 on: 27 October, 2023, 01:25:35 pm »
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #3244 on: 27 October, 2023, 01:32:29 pm »
"Marital aids". HIV-positive couples?

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3245 on: 27 October, 2023, 03:54:38 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67237610

Rampant donations
If they can afford to turn donations away they’re not that hard up.

They’d have them if they were strapped.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

rogerzilla

« Reply #3246 on: 27 October, 2023, 04:00:08 pm »

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #3247 on: 27 October, 2023, 06:33:54 pm »
Couple who hadn't paid for gas in 18 years shocked to receive £11k bill.  A follow-up story indicates that their cat has been subsisting largely on gas bills for 18 years.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3248 on: 27 October, 2023, 06:38:06 pm »
Couple who hadn't paid for gas in 18 years shocked to receive £11k bill.  A follow-up story indicates that their cat has been subsisting largely on gas bills for 18 years.

Surely if it took 18 years to bill them, then they should be allowed 18 years to pay...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3249 on: 27 October, 2023, 10:22:49 pm »

Surely if it took 18 years to bill them, then they should be allowed 18 years to pay...

I thought there was a limit to how much they could backdate these things.  Though possibly that only applies if it's  a) a supplier  and  b) they've been making billing errors.

When I was a PSO, we didn't have a gas supplier for a couple of years.  London Electricity (remember them?) fraudulently took over our supply, which we were able to get reversed, but that somehow left us without a supplier.  We didn't give a shit, as we were still paying for the gas via the prepayment meter, so were in no hurry to get it resolved when whoever it was that maintained gas meters gave us a bollocking after they came to replace the battery.

The whole thing is a nonsese.  In a right-minded universe, the gas supplier would be whoever's at the other end of the pipe.