Linked Events

• Mince Pies and Stollen and....: 14 December, 2008

Author Topic: Mince Pies and Stollen and....another 100km  (Read 12665 times)

AJB

Re: Mince Pies and Stollen and....another 100km
« Reply #50 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:21:19 pm »
Did  the ride today since helping out tomorrow. No problem with route sheet but forgot the climb out of fairlight and suffered. 

Most roads dry but those on levels subject to some standing water. Float lane is well named.

Lots of crud on Rickney Lane near end.

See everyone at the Burnt Oak control

Martin

« Reply #51 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:55:07 pm »
see you there AJB; no doubt a plan for an Xmas recce of Hills and Mills will be hatched;

this will be quite an emotional ride for me, last edition being the last one I did before Events conspired to make this the 10th and last ride of a 4th (failed) RRTY, now trying again at Month 56

and it's looking like it's going to be the kindest of the 3 times I've extended it weatherwise

« Reply #52 on: 12 December, 2010, 12:09:40 am »
I don't suppose it's worth bothering to clean the bike if Rickney Lane is in the usual state; been along there recently MJ?

Morning, Rode out that way about three weeks ago, but as AJB has found out, it's boggy. Lowlands, no where for the water to run off to!

Just been up to Heathfield way on the Cuckoo trail and that's pretty dry considering. Great fun with the Tawny Owls calling above your head and Rabbits darting in front of your front wheel.. No Ice about, really clear air, and no one about..

See you up the road later..
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

« Reply #53 on: 12 December, 2010, 07:00:01 pm »
Well, that was a nice sunny (if a little chilly) day out. The group took much longer to loose me than usual, the mulled wine and stollen were very welcome, washed down with tea and cheese sandwiches. Falling off (misjudged a lumpy side road junction looking for a pee stop) was less welcome. Landed on knees and rolled, knocking my shoulder and squashing a pocket of mini cheddars in my pocket. Zoom soon came by, stopped and rode with me and chatted for a bit about badges and events that were too hilly which was just what I needed - thanks. Fairlight was a bit of a slog and I was tiring on the long, bleak bit by the coast and over the levels (probably ought to have eaten and drunk more and ridden more since the MSH). Tea and a chat at the end were very welcome. Thanks to all running the event and chatting to me for a good day out.

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #54 on: 13 December, 2010, 10:27:09 am »
i think this has gone wrong - i'm hoping to display two photographs taken at the control yesterday, complete with smiling El plus riders. can anyone advise?

Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

Martin

« Reply #55 on: 13 December, 2010, 11:13:21 am »
either a copyright or security issue I think; have linked to the gallery

Mince Pie & Stollen Audax Decmeber 12, 2010 - a set on Flickr

El S's hat is a brilliant finishing touch  :)

blue rider is Worthing's Peter Weston, next to him Chris Tracey, JBB to the R of El S?

Martin

« Reply #56 on: 13 December, 2010, 11:22:06 am »
a grand day out, cold but sunny which warmed things up a lot, Float Lane was almost spring-like, the best of the 3 times this has run, although a 06.45 ECE start is always perishing cold this time of year. I was late starting so didn't really catch anyone up until Dougal and Mark S who had punctured in Poppinghole Lane. Then lost another 30 min in Bexhill Halfords to buy and fit some new rear brake blocks as the old ones were full of swarf from the rims.

The usual trauma of dragging myself out from the nice warm finish for the uneventful but hard 60km flattest possible ECE back via Wakehurst (where I saw The Tree) and Pound Hill, passing Billy W who was Down to Downs-ing in Uckfield.

Five stars in Guide Les Routiers Randonneurs for El S's oven with cheese toasties mini pizzas cheesy bites etc and mulled wine, fantastic   :P

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #57 on: 13 December, 2010, 11:59:52 am »
i seem not to obtain the "attach files" option under "additional options". I assume this is turned off for some reason. Many thanks Zoom, sorry to have missed you. I arrived by car, of course, because I have an irrational aversion to slipping on a patch of ice and injuring myself, which might put paid to the necessary training and qualification for a short foreign trip next year. But I couldn't resist the prospect of The Oventastic Toasties.

Martin

« Reply #58 on: 13 December, 2010, 01:10:04 pm »
I have an irrational aversion to slipping on a patch of ice and injuring myself

I have now acquired an entirely rational aversion to hitting a pothole in the dark, this was confined yesterday to the hill down from Turners Hill and then Crawley Down )made worse by oncoming car headlights completely removing my view of the road surface) but I won't be trying it again without some substantially better lighting.

mmmmartin

• FNRttC
« Reply #59 on: 13 December, 2010, 01:18:37 pm »
substantially better lighting
This is a good lesson - I learnt it on the Uppertea 200k, which I found most bracing - all that thick darkness, torrential rain, water on map, routesheet, glasses and mapholder made it very exciting. Especially on those gravel-strewn steep hills with lots of sharp bends. Plus the feeble tiny little minuscule small light on the helmet designed to illuminate the routesheet was not enough to read the signposts by - and when I tipped my head back so the light showed on the sign I was looking through the "reading" section of my bifocals and it was all out of focus. I now have a better headtorch for signposts, plus a Cyo lamp with a superb Shimano dynohub with 36 spokes, all carefully made by hand by Geoff Boxall of East Sussex CTC - recommended.

Martin

« Reply #60 on: 13 December, 2010, 01:22:31 pm »
last week's winter weather has already produced a few new potholes; the road down to my station has been degrading since the rain started after the summer.

« Reply #61 on: 13 December, 2010, 05:16:28 pm »
Great Photo's Martin. I was out and about and did a spot of controlling at the layby feed station. I got chilled after two hours so found all the Hills on the return..
Think there was 22 DNS, they missed bright Sunlight.
Mad Jacks JSM/  Hills and Mills to be continued in 2021

« Reply #62 on: 13 December, 2010, 10:25:09 pm »
either a copyright or security issue I think; have linked to the gallery

Mince Pie & Stollen Audax Decmeber 12, 2010 - a set on Flickr

El S's hat is a brilliant finishing touch  :)

blue rider is Worthing's Peter Weston, next to him Chris Tracey, JBB to the R of El S?

Another good ride! That's me in the white and my sister Helen in the red next to me. Had fun using the 705 in anger for the first time; I'll post some queries later! Weather was fine although I was a bit under-dressed so have achy knees today. Fairlight was the usual struggle - a mix of riding and walking, then near enough flat to the finish where we had a long chat with Richard and the other tail enders.

Glad you got you 200 martin, it was probably the best opportunity this month; see you all next year!

Julia
Reine de la Fauche