Author Topic: A random thread for small things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 2945278 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
I've no idea what "edge-triggered flip-flop" is in English. Presumably nothing to do with footwear or even double-sided hubs.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
I've no idea what "edge-triggered flip-flop" is in English. Presumably nothing to do with footwear or even double-sided hubs.
It sounds like some sort of bistable switching mech.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
It's a circuit you can think of as "one bit of computer memory".  Flip-flop because it flips between logic 0 and logic 1.  Edge-triggered because it only changes state as the input signal changes state (the rising or falling edge of the square wave - they come in both flavours).

Cudzoziemiec

It's a phrase just waiting to be reincarnated as angsty footwear for paranoid urbanites.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
I was wondering if they came in SPD flavour?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Good news for Wow; EasyJet to close Southend base.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

ian

Probably not such good news to everyone who won't have a job though.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
Never mind.  I'm sure with BoJo the Clown's pound shop version of the Roosevelt New Deal everybody who wants a job can have one.  Aye, right.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Vernon

• zzzZZZzzz
Yes, but it just won't include benefits such as holiday, sick pay and, er, pay.  :-\

T42

• Apprentice geezer

Reminds me of the time a colleague tripped on broken tile round a hotel swimming-pool and a bit went into the flip-flop, then well into his foot. Hobbling Harry, we called him for the rest of the week.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

My appointment with the dental hygienist on April 23rd was  cancelled a few day before the date.
No surprises there.
They rang today to inform me that they are open for business and would I like to make a new appointment.
Errr... Thanks, but not just yet. In a few weeks. Maybe.
It's good that it's not an emergency, and I don't feel bad as I'd paid them in advance.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
My appointment with the dental hygienist on April 23rd was  cancelled a few day before the date.
No surprises there.
They rang today to inform me that they are open for business and would I like to make a new appointment.
Errr... Thanks, but not just yet. In a few weeks. Maybe.
It's good that it's not an emergency, and I don't feel bad as I'd paid them in advance.

I wonder when D's Dental Hyena will pester him for the same. He too paid upfront for an April appointment. She rang *just* before lockdown, trying to cram him in on the Saturday evening. Elective aerosol generating treatment? NO THANKS!

I'll just sit in this Mach 2 fighter and give the throttles a little blip to test the electronics, what could possibly go wrong?:

https://youtu.be/W4d7VKvG1z0

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

I'll just sit in this Mach 2 fighter and give the throttles a little blip to test the electronics, what could possibly go wrong?:

https://youtu.be/W4d7VKvG1z0

Oops!  ;D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Who claps for the last student?

A coronavirus novel.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
Happy 72nd Birthday to Hazel in Stevenage.

My mother delivered her in Lewisham on the first day of the NHS.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
It crossed my mind, in a way that it hasn't before: three of my siblings were born before the NHS was established.

Did my parents have to pay, I wonder, for my mother's 3 hospital births?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Your mother was born three times, impressive
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

hellymedic

• Just do it!
It would appear that the North Circular A406 is under a foot of water at Brent Cross.

As there has been scant recent rain, I presume a pipe has popped.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
It crossed my mind, in a way that it hasn't before: three of my siblings were born before the NHS was established.

Same happened yesterday while discussing this over lunch with my parents - they both realised they were born before the NHS was established, which they had never considered before.

My mum said that growing up, there was a culture in her poor, working class household of never seeing the doctor - presumably a hangover from the days when you had to pay for the privilege, even though they were precisely the kind of family the NHS was supposed to benefit.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
The BloodyStudents have been particularly impressive this weekend.

Yesterday, someone from the house opposite asked if we could lend him an iron.  I found this amusing enough that I did.  I forgot to ask if it was a hawt date or a job interview.   :facepalm:

This evening we have been entertained by a crowd of topless blokes playing a game that can only be described as street-spin-the-bottle-eggball.  As far as I can determine, the rules are that you place a bottle and box of eggs in the middle of the road, someone spins the bottle, then (presumably) the person it points to becomes the designated egg-chucker, and everyone else runs away as quickly as possible, hoping to avoid being egged [or any taxi entanglements - Ed]   ???

And if that wasn't weird enough, I was momentarily confused by singing.  Female, opera-style, with vibrato - getting slowly louder in a someone driving slowly with the windows open kind of way.  Then it stopped and turned into drunken giggling.  Do we have classically trained opera zombies now?

Cudzoziemiec

Music students get drunk too. Some of them, I am led to believe, even take drugs and have wild sex with strangers. If it's opera, they do all of these on stage. I reckon you're lucky when the students who sing are the ones who can.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
As a techie, I'm familiar with ...turning up late and hanging around on the stairs discussing steeldeck at music student parties.   :-[

Cudzoziemiec

Steeldeck?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Or scaff-clamps, or grelcos or DI boxes or whatever.  You know, the geeky stuff that comes between the sex and drugs and the rock'n'roll.