Author Topic: Your Olympic Event Experiences.  (Read 13587 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Your Olympic Event Experiences.
« on: 28 July, 2012, 05:32:33 pm »
We went to the Rowing today. A mix of classes and a mix of abilities. Some very good racing and one dead heat for 2nd and 3rd place. A new Olympic record, helped greatly by a very strong tail wind.

What looked like a full attendance, and a lively crowd, if not necessarily knowledgable. We walked the course and reminisced about when Master J rowed at a regatta there in a storm and didn't sink.

Initially there wee queues for everything, until people realised that they were there most of the day and there were other facilities further on in the site. A shuttle bus from Slough station, then a reasonable walk to the site. Security was efficient and friendly, especially the soldiers. The volunteers were excellent, friendly and helpful and happy to engage in conversation.

A great day out!
It is simpler than it looks.

Re: Your Olympic Event Experiences.
« Reply #1 on: 28 July, 2012, 06:01:27 pm »
wel gel (as my niece says).  Watched most of it on the telly and it looked fantastic, some surprisingly good results by the gb m2- and m8 too!

« Reply #2 on: 28 July, 2012, 07:10:33 pm »
Road race on The Mall today...portaloo hell (no water !) and irritating "presentation" by dj types...what is this modern trend to blast out music to excite the crowd at sporting events (oh, and they wanted a Mexican wave too !).

Transport (tube) was fine considering it was a warm day by the park in the centre of London.

The army were efficient and friendly - they were the only security we saw.

No sign of the free drinking water promised on the London 2012 website, and no food in our area either . Advanced warning of the "pass out" system would have helped - but that would have contradicted online advice.  And finally, no merchandise or event information at the venue.

Before anyone thinks this should have been posted in the rants or grumbles...we had a great day !

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #3 on: 28 July, 2012, 09:06:51 pm »
At Putney for the road race. I was marshalling a crossing and our team were great.. lots of fun. Here is most of our team plus two rather tall policemen.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg858/scaled.php?tn=0&server=858&filename=j4gly.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

Upper richmond road was mobbed with people several deep and even hanging out of windows to watch.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg876/scaled.php?tn=0&server=876&filename=9wady.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

A big screen in the arts cafe had a good audience - and gave free tea/coffee to the volunteers

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg816/scaled.php?tn=0&server=816&filename=mh8b.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

People were mostly fantastic. a great buzz, I had taken a flag with me which I loaned to various kids at various time.

Huge cheers for everyone and everything - especially the team GB riders who fought to the end of an ultimately lost cause. Everyone was full of praise for them. And Fabian who wandered past a bit later thanthe pack (I say wandered, those boys really move even when going slow)

Then met Zipperhead as we were all closing up.. Nice to finally meet hm.
A very busy but tiring day out.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2012, 09:40:33 pm »
After a slightly early breakfast I went down to Richmond Park, everything seemed to be very well organised, lots of happy people there.

The leadout man was a bit slow, but enjoying himself

140 cyclists came through so quickly I was looking out for  the rest of them!

Only a few stragglers

Then I went home for a few hours in the garden and watched some of the race on television before going back to watch them come back in again

I think he's happy because he's ahead of the peloton

and there they are

I think he'd collided with some of the scenery

Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

red marley

« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2012, 09:47:32 pm »
Back from France via the Eurostar today where we met some of the Russian team in their resplendent red and white tracksuits. After the road race we cycled to the Victoria Park "Live Site" to soak up some atmosphere. We saw some of the Spanish women's speed walkers out training who were easily outpacing the joggers round the park. Great to stumble across real olympic athletes in the flesh as it were.

There is a large supervised bike park with many hundreds of spaces, so worth considering as an option for the Olympic Park too (easy walk from Victoria Park to Stratford).

The (free) Live Site itself was great, and much more festival-like than I was expecting. While there is the usual no food/drink allowed on site, there was typical festival fare (burgers, noodles, paella, beer tents etc.) and thankfully, no MacDonalds, Coke or other officially approved of food. There were three large screens showing the football and tennis while were were there. There was a music stage with a great Brasilian Beatles tribute band (Sargento Pimenta - who made a much better job of Hey Jude than that Paul McCartney chap last night). I think I may make this my regular place to watch the tele coverage each evening assuming the weather remains dry.

« Reply #6 on: 28 July, 2012, 09:48:23 pm »
ExCel centre for Women's 48kg weightlifting.

Went on a bit of a spree so I picked up a few tickets from the ticket office which was very efficient and helpful.

Food inside the ExCel was a bit pricy, so we'll bring sandwiches next time.
There was a queue to fill your water bottle, but only a minute or so. Everyone (literally everyone) was very happy and very helpful. We were supporting China (but no GB qualified anyway), and our girl, Wang MingJuan won. So we were very happy.

Winning snatch

After the gold securing clean & jerk

I was surprised by the military doing the flag raising

A truly great thing about London2012, the whole atmosphere was so friendly, I didn't hesitate in asking if we could get a photo with them and their submachine guns. Most other places in the world, you'd be told to bugger off

red marley

« Reply #7 on: 28 July, 2012, 09:53:18 pm »
A truly great thing about London2012, the whole atmosphere was so friendly

That's what has struck me so far. From the helpers at St Pancras to all the security guards to the crowds, all have been really welcoming and friendly. It feels like a real warmth in London at the moment.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #8 on: 29 July, 2012, 06:50:48 pm »
My niece is off to Cardiff on Tuesday to watch the women's football.

Her school had tried getting tickets for some of the events months ago - but the supposedly 'subsidised' tickets for school children were well out of their budget range, starting at £40 per head.  Then last week the school got a call from LOCOG offering a range of free tickets for various events this week.

One has a feeling that ticket sales haven't been as good as LOCOG expected...

But, that said, I'm glad Katy May will get the chance to go - particularly as she loves football!  I hope that LOCOG cintinue to encourage schools by giving away free tickets.  After all, that's going to have more of a legacy than kids watching it on TV.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #9 on: 29 July, 2012, 07:06:07 pm »
I watched the men's road race with Jethro yesterday. I wasn't expecting it to be all that good, but it was a weekend ride and somewhere to go even if watching the racing wasn't much.
It turned out to be a very good day out. I though it was done properly. Roads properly closed and no messing about. Streets were packed hurs before the race got there. I had to follow some of the route on my way to the Box Hill circuit and was allowed through the closed roads. As soon as I left Woking, cyclists were everywhere on their way to watch the race.
I was glad I went. Team GB were very impressive! They looked quite relaxed for the first 2-3 laps and looked to have it all under control. I timed the gap between the leaders and the main bunch and team GB took 4.5 minutes out of them. They took 2 minutes in one lap, but they'd spent themselves doing that and never closed the last minute. Germany were either saving themselves to launch their sprinter or just didn't have the firepower to contribute. There was one German who I think was on the front a few times. I think that Team GBs plan might have worked on a shorter race, a stronger German team or another strong team with a rival for Cav. But chasing a well organised breakaway for about 200km was a lot to ask. It made a 1st cat road race at Milton Keynes Bowl look like the egg and spoon race on school sports day.
After the race left the Box Hill circuit, Jethro and I headed for Wetherspoons in Leatherhead to watch the finish. But on the way, Jethro spotted a sign at a village hall where the race was being shown on a big screen. We nipped in there before the rush and sat right at the front to watch the rest of the race.
After about 10minutes, the hall was packed solid.
A great day out and much better than I expected. I had to ride another 30 miles to my Travelodge. I'd left it a bit late booking a hotel and when I tried, all the local ones were fully booked. Judging by the crowds, I think they were mostly spectators.
I decided against watching the women's race. It would have been another good day, but I would have been late home for the sake of watching two laps instead of nine. But I did see the last hour in Bicester on the way home.
I'm really enjoying this Olympic thing now. :)

rob

« Reply #10 on: 29 July, 2012, 07:48:00 pm »
Put my comments in the women's road race thread before spotting this one.   

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #11 on: 30 July, 2012, 08:06:23 am »
One has a feeling that ticket sales haven't been as good as LOCOG expected...

To be fair, they've been saying there are football tickets available/left over. In fact they announced a week or so ago the the top tier of Cardiff wouldn't be 'open' for some of the matches.

I'm going on Wednesday to see the final group matches for the group Team GB mens are in, which is nicely poised, needed a result.

« Reply #12 on: 30 July, 2012, 08:31:14 am »
Back for another day, this time actually at the Olympic park, Womens 3m Springboard final.

Just making sure our flag was big enough

The winning pair

We also had tickets to go up the Orbit, where we caught the sunset

Stadium being worked on, and you can just make out the lit cauldron

You don't realise just how high you up, until you see how small the people below are

The wharf at night

The orbit at night

The sponsors exhibits are a mixed bunch, however Coca Cola are good. If you can put up with the queue, you get a nice surprise at the end.

(click to show/hide)

Again another great day out, everyone was friendly and helpful, regardless of the frequent downpours.

« Reply #13 on: 30 July, 2012, 10:39:17 am »
We had brilliant fun watching both the races go by as we were perched on Rob’s grandparents’ front wall in Ripley. One of the men chucked a bottle into their front garden which I bagged. Either side of watching them go past we watched it on telly. Cam was firmly tied to the gate lest she manage to jump the garden wall and emulate the dog that almost messed up the mens’ race!

Rob’s grandparents had no idea what was going on but were keen to understand and kept asking questions, so between us we explained a bit about tactics etc and why they were taking turns on the front – we’re far from experts but better than nothing. By the end of the women’s race both of them were quite worked up, even his fairly frail grandma, who said ‘Thank you so much for explaining it, it made it so exciting knowing what was going on!’

« Reply #14 on: 30 July, 2012, 11:41:26 am »

By the way, the best 'value' at the Olympic park is McDonalds. It's pretty much the same price as out side of the park, whereas everything else seems to have doubled in price, or at least gone up by at least 60%.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #15 on: 30 July, 2012, 12:27:28 pm »
OK - here's some photos from the rowing

Brand integrity follows you into the loos

Colourfull foreigners

A boat attacking an orange umbrella

Packed stand

Some Team GB action

and closer - look at the oars bend

The NZ Pair in the process of smashing Saint Pinsent's and Helmet Wearer Cracknell's world record (with a very strong tailwind)

Proud!

We were some 250 m form the finish. Back on Saturday, in the closer stand.  :thumbsup:

Big,informative screen.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #16 on: 30 July, 2012, 12:31:13 pm »
Who IS the official Olympic hand-dryer supplier?
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #17 on: 30 July, 2012, 12:32:15 pm »
OK - here's some photos from the rowing

Brand integrity follows you into the loos

Proud!

Pathetic.

Nice photos, though.
Getting there...

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #18 on: 30 July, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »
They lied though. They took cash as well.

« Reply #19 on: 30 July, 2012, 12:40:27 pm »
I saw there were some tickets left for the swimming on Wednesday evening.

However I want a wheelchair space - and the site says you must call them on 0800----
This line has a pre-recorded message tthen hangs up. Arggghhh.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #20 on: 30 July, 2012, 12:57:01 pm »
They lied though. They took cash as well.

Perhaps they weren't so proud of that.  More a little ashamed...
Getting there...

« Reply #21 on: 30 July, 2012, 03:19:02 pm »
Who IS the official Olympic hand-dryer supplier?

Yes, we need to know!

I think I'd be tempted to peel that tape off, one by one over the course of the day...
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #22 on: 30 July, 2012, 04:03:36 pm »
People did, but I didn't think you'd want a photo of that.

contango

• NB have not grown beard since photo was taken
  • The Fat And The Furious
« Reply #23 on: 30 July, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »
Loved the road race, saw it from near Richmond Gate. Had we been standing 50 feet to the left Fabian Cancellara would have gone right into us.

Annoyed that the security staff apparently couldn't tell their rears from their elbows. I spotted a perfect vantage point that looked like it would soon be open if barriers were changed, so asked if they would be. Was told no, it was "a sterile area". So we set up a bit further along, only to find within five minutes they had moved the barriers and the area was full. Useless wasters.

Anyway despite not getting the best vantage point I wanted the one we had was pretty good, the riders came through fast enough that they blurred slightly even at 1/800 exposure and we got to recognise a lot of riders at the time and a few more from the photos.

Had to laugh at the slogans and corporate sponsorship. Maybe the 2016 Olympics should have the motto "Higher. Faster. Stronger. Do you want fries with that?"
Always carry a small flask of whisky in case of snakebite. And, furthermore, always carry a small snake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #24 on: 30 July, 2012, 05:23:28 pm »
I think I'd be tempted to peel that tape off, one by one over the course of the day...

On an vaguely related note, I see that my guerilla spelling correction has made it into this month's Cycle.   :D