Author Topic: Possible stolen image  (Read 3236 times)

Possible stolen image
« on: 17 March, 2016, 09:34:39 am »
I've just found one of my photos used on a book cover by a  famous name publisher ( with the name of a bird ). I've checked all of my sold images and can't find any sale history for it. The image isn't on Flickr etc. and is not available to be downloaded, it's only on a few stock image sites.

I've asked the stock sites to check if it's been sold for it's current use. The book looks like it's been very popular with high sales.

How would you proceed?
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

Re: Possible stolen image
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2016, 01:52:04 pm »
I'd suggest a polite phone call to their design department, or image buyer (should they have one). Either that, or an e-mail if you'd like to keep an audit trail.

If they have used an image in good faith (in their own mind), there won't be an issue for them to give you their source. Especially so if the image has your name, details etc within the metadata.

If that doesn't work, I'm guessing a letter to their legal department.
instagram / twitter: @bluemcardle

« Reply #2 on: 17 March, 2016, 02:20:12 pm »
I'd suggest a polite phone call to their design department, or image buyer (should they have one). Either that, or an e-mail if you'd like to keep an audit trail.

Do both

Follow your phone call up with an e-mail starting, as per our conversation on this date.........
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #3 on: 17 March, 2016, 02:27:19 pm »
I'm just waiting for a reply from the stock photo people, then I'll send an email over to the publishers if I get no joy.

I'm struggling to see how they've used it and not paid for it, they're a massive and very well known company. I've checked all of my image payments again and I can't find it as sold. Perhaps it's just a hiccup in billing.

I actually spotted the picture on a book cover in a shop window, not by an image search. I just happened to look at the front cover and did a double take! I've now found it on an image search and it's 100% my photo, it includes a body part of mine..............leave it  ;D
OnOne Pickenflick - Tour De Fer 20 - Pinnacle Arkose cx - Charge Cooker maxi2 fatty - GT Zaskar Carbon Expert

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 17 March, 2016, 06:42:37 pm »
Next time, try to avoid mirrors in the background. Unless you enjoy that sort of thing.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #5 on: 19 March, 2016, 04:10:08 pm »
If it turns out to have been used without payment - find out what they should have paid (from stock agency?), add 25% or 50%, and send them an invoice.

They don't get the right to tell you what they should pay after the fact.

« Reply #6 on: 19 March, 2016, 04:13:37 pm »
Unless you enjoy that sort of thing.

word has spread then ;D

If it turns out to have been used without payment - find out what they should have paid (from stock agency?), add 25% or 50%, and send them an invoice.

They don't get the right to tell you what they should pay after the fact.

They're looking into it, may take a few days. I think it's been used after payment but I haven't been paid for it.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7 on: 19 March, 2016, 08:23:14 pm »
If the bird in question is well-known for not being eaten by polar bears due to wrapper removal issues then I trust you will screw them for every penny you can get.

<=== former employee
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #8 on: 19 March, 2016, 09:55:36 pm »
Given the stature of the bird company involved, it's unlikely they've knowingly nicked it. Perhaps someone else stole it and sold it to them, personally I'd bill them substantially more than the conservative figure suggested above and leave them to sort it out with whoever sold it to them.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

Samuel D

« Reply #9 on: 20 March, 2016, 11:34:11 am »
It sounds more likely the stock site rather than the publisher hasn’t bothered paying for the image, something I fear happens far too often these days.

« Reply #10 on: 20 March, 2016, 11:56:09 am »
If the bird in question is well-known for not being eaten by polar bears due to wrapper removal issues then I trust you will screw them for every penny you can get.

<=== former employee

;D

still no reply,it may take over a week for them to check it out, until then I can't do anything.

Samuel D

« Reply #11 on: 20 March, 2016, 01:10:52 pm »
You could work up a suitable outrage in the meantime, surely.

Is a non-paying stock agency any better than a non-paying image buyer?

« Reply #12 on: 20 March, 2016, 02:22:53 pm »
You could work up a suitable outrage in the meantime, surely.

Is a non-paying stock agency any better than a non-paying image buyer?

Worse, because they're conman as well as thieves