Author Topic: Canon lenses question  (Read 1537 times)

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Canon lenses question
« on: 28 March, 2016, 02:41:38 pm »
I've recently bought a Sony A7Rii, and have a plasticky 28-70 zoom for general gadding about, a Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 for dancing groups, and will no doubt succumb to the Zeiss Batis 85/1.8 at some point.

However, there is not a huge choice of native full frame Sony E mount lenses out there, and as it seems that with a Metabones or other adaptor, the lens world is my oyster, and Canon lenses in particular, just work, autofocus and all, on the Sony, that maybe secondhand Canon lenses may fill some of the gaps in my arsenal.

I'd like (not really NEED, but would like), and ultrawide, equivalent to the Sigma 10-20 I had for my APS-C Sony A77, so something like 15-30 or maybe even wider?  I'd also like something reasonably large of aperture, but not hugely expensive and hugely huge, that is around the 70-200 range.

As I'm not at all familiar with Canon's offerings (apart from a bit of letching at the 85/1.2) I'd appreciate the views of any users here, as to what to avoid, and what to go for.

For the ultrawide, I don't think autofocus is remotely important, and I'm not looking for distortion-free perfection, I've got the Batis 25 for that!  I just want seriously wide, for big landscapes or silly stuff.

Any idea of stuff that could be available secondhand, that might serve?

I do already have a Sigma 150-500 zoom, which works with the Sony A to FE mount adaptor.
Wombat

Re: Canon lenses question
« Reply #1 on: 29 March, 2016, 09:46:32 am »
17-40 4.0 is a relative bargain and very sharp when it's shut down a couple of stops.
16-35 is better wide open but bloody heavy and more expensive.

i'm not aware of a 3rd party zoom which is in the same ballpark as either of them.  The sigma 24 1.4 is excellent but probably not wide enough for you.

is the 135 f2 long enough? It's lovely...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #2 on: 29 March, 2016, 10:18:48 pm »
All the Canon 70-200 L series lenses are good in their own right but the f/2.8 IS USM Mk2 gets top reviews.
Many Pro's switch from their beloved Nikons to gain access to Canon's L-series lenses.

My Dad has their 300m f/2.8 and it's epic in its sharpness (and price).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wombat

« Reply #3 on: 11 May, 2016, 10:29:37 pm »
Well I've sorted one part of my need, namely the ultrawide, by buying a Samyang 14mm f2.8.  I doubt its too hot on the distortion front, but frankly I'm not that concerned, as its for drama, not accuracy.  The Batis 25 is bloody lovely, and I'm really, really happy with it.  I must get outside and abuse the 14 by pointing it at some buildings, which is a rather unkind thing to do to a cheap 14mm lens.  I took a pic of a local pub which is rather picturesque (if you like colourful glazed tiled pub exteriors) and I just couldn't quite get it all in from straight ahead, with the 25, without sneaking into somene's front garden, and I know the lady in question wouldn't like that, as she complained at me bitterly when we insulated her home and didn't get her artistically arranged lumps of rock she'd put in the garden back into exactly the correct position (shades of EG's boss).

I will therefore take one from straight in front with the 14 and see what sort of straight lines I don't get.

It'll be a little while before I can manage a 70-200, methinks. Must get on and sell Big Helga.
Wombat

Wombat

« Reply #4 on: 09 June, 2016, 08:12:17 am »
After much faffing, and looking at prices of Canon 70-200s, and a suitable adaptor I came to the conclusion that it didn't make economic sense, and have just ordered a Sony 70-200 (only the "cheap"  ;D F4 one, not the F2.8 one that is in the throes of being released.  the idea of using Canon or other lenses on the Sony is perfect sense when you already have them, but if you are buying rom scratch its marginal, unless you arelucky enough to find a suitable secondhand one at a good price.

Now to sell all the Sony APS-C stuff, including 3 Sigma lenses...
Wombat