Author Topic: Random audax questions  (Read 391164 times)

Re: Random audax questions
« Reply #550 on: 31 December, 2013, 11:35:36 am »
if one were to enter a foreign event that requires an SR series of BRMs as a qualifier (in the same year as the event), how would you evidence the rides?  Presumably you can't turn up at registration with your validated brevet cards, because most of them would not have been returned - quals in May/June, big event in July.  As stated elsewhere, I'm trying to organise entry to the Bavarian 1200 this year but have never entered an event outside of the UK before.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #551 on: 31 December, 2013, 12:18:12 pm »
Just email your brevet numbers to the organiser, though a couple of sticklers asked for scans of brevet cards. Most accept BR in place of BRM when the UK situation has been explained.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #552 on: 31 December, 2013, 04:48:09 pm »
ACP brevet numbers for AUK/BRM events are displayed on the AUK website probably long before you get the brevet card back.  When things are running smoothly, the turnround is only a week or so.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #553 on: 01 January, 2014, 01:24:13 am »
I rode the previous Bavarian 1200 and found the organisers to be very helpful and welcoming. I had to enter before all of the ACP brevet numbers were on the AUK website, but it wasn't a problem. I emailed the numbers later, but I don't think the organisers are as strict as the website makes out.

It is a great ride, as can be seen by the photos on the website and pretty lumpy, so definitely worth choosing hilly qualifiers to built up to it.

My wife and kids flew down after the finish and we enjoyed a two week camping holiday in Bavaria before heading back home together in my van.

« Reply #554 on: 27 January, 2014, 10:50:36 am »
Noticed the new Audax UK mudguard stickers on a recent photo. My insurance replacement Audax bike lacks stickers.

How do I get a couple more? Send an SAE (and a stamp to cover payment?) to the Recorder?
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #555 on: 27 January, 2014, 10:51:43 am »
Noticed the new Audax UK mudguard stickers on a recent photo. My insurance replacement Audax bike lacks stickers.

How do I get a couple more? Send an SAE (and a stamp to cover payment?) to the Recorder?
From here http://audaxmedals.southportcc.co.uk/

« Reply #556 on: 27 January, 2014, 12:04:52 pm »
Ta!

« Reply #557 on: 27 January, 2014, 03:45:50 pm »
Erm... That website was set up by the previous recorder.
I'd check with the current one (our own pPpete) that it still works.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #558 on: 27 January, 2014, 03:52:38 pm »
It works. I ordered medals and badges off it a few weeks ago and got some bonus mudguard stickers with them.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #559 on: 31 January, 2014, 06:28:00 pm »
Mudguard stickers received this morning. They were from the previous recorder.

I do like the newer red ones. Shiny.

Wal

« Reply #560 on: 20 February, 2014, 09:17:05 pm »
Does anyone know if the carradice bagman 2 expedition rack will fit onto a Brookes flyer saddle?

« Reply #561 on: 18 March, 2014, 07:23:12 pm »
Hi everyone,
                  I'm new to cycling I only started in October. I like the idea of doing some Audax rides but I'm a bit worried about the thought of not having a broom wagon to get people with break downs back to the start. How many times have you broken down and not been able to finish and if not how did you get yourself and your bike back ?

Another question, if it says mudguards on the entry does that mean I must have them to be able to ride ?

Thanks Colin
123 Miles East of Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #562 on: 18 March, 2014, 07:44:14 pm »
Colin, you may well get a storm of replies to these questions, some pointing to other threads on here and elsewhere!  My short answers are do a few rides that are not too arduous/remote and make sure your bike's in a good state of repair.  If it goes pear shaped you can usually limp to a train station, if you've not chosen a ride through desolate unpopulated areas.  If the organiser asks for mudguards, then it would be very confrontational to turn up without.  You can generally fit some 'clip on' types.  It's a bit anti-social to the rider behind you and increases the chances of friction with café owners if you sit on their furniture with a backside unprotected by mudguards.

« Reply #563 on: 19 March, 2014, 04:44:37 am »
Colin, you may well get a storm of replies to these questions, some pointing to other threads on here and elsewhere!  My short answers are do a few rides that are not too arduous/remote and make sure your bike's in a good state of repair.  If it goes pear shaped you can usually limp to a train station, if you've not chosen a ride through desolate unpopulated areas.  If the organiser asks for mudguards, then it would be very confrontational to turn up without.  You can generally fit some 'clip on' types.  It's a bit anti-social to the rider behind you and increases the chances of friction with café owners if you sit on their furniture with a backside unprotected by mudguards.

Revellinho Thanks for your reply. Sorry I was not sure if it meant mudguards only if its wet. I wouldn't have arrived to be confrontational and expected to ride with no mudguards if it was wet.

Colin

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #564 on: 19 March, 2014, 07:41:33 am »
Pretty much what revellinho said.

There are very few mechanicals that will stop a bike from being able to limp to civilisation - you can scoot or freewheel on a bike that has had fairly catastrophic failures.

However, it is best to avoid mechanicals and a good regime of maintainence and replacing parts in a timely manner will help with this. 

As I said, there is very little that will stop a bike from being able to, at least, get to civilisation if not finish the ride.

It isn't something I worry about overly. I have never had a significant mechanical on a ride, but I do carry a reasonable selection of spares that would get me out of most issues. At minimum you want a couple of tubes (pump and levers) and some form of multi tool. Chain links are also useful (I have never needed one myself, but have saved other people's rides with them).

If some dramatic mechanical happened that really was ride ending, there is always going to be a way to sort things out and get back home. It may involve vast expense (taxi etc.) or lots of time, or both.  But that is life.

It isn't worth worrying about too much unless you are getting regular issues, in which case, you need to look at the kit you are using and find something more suited to the purpose.

Mudguards - well, if the org asks for them, then do try and use them. If you don't have them, then just be sensible - if you have a filthy, wet behind, don't sit down in the cafe etc. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #565 on: 19 March, 2014, 08:51:37 am »
The storm of replies has perhaps been fended off by those two excellent ones!

Enjoy the rides, get or do not get addicted (personal choice), and here's wishing you total freedom from the "what on earth am I doing this for??" feeling!

Reg.T

• "You don't have to go fast; you just have to go."
« Reply #566 on: 19 March, 2014, 12:06:26 pm »
Wish I'd known I had a choice about whether to get addicted. ;D
Just turn me loose let me straddle my old saddle
Underneath the western skies

« Reply #567 on: 19 March, 2014, 04:26:58 pm »
Thank you all for your replies.

I do carry 2 tubes, puncture repair kit, 2 repair links, 2 multi tools and pliers for the repair links ( I found I couldn't use the links with just my fingers ). I am trying to learn to maintain and repair as much as I can on the bike as I would like to become as self sufficient as I can.

Thanks Again

Colin

« Reply #568 on: 20 March, 2014, 11:15:56 am »
Hello to everyone.

I'm quite new to this 'Audax' thing and due to various commitments, have been looking at riding a couple of 200k permanent rides, however I notice that many of these are well over 200k.

I have been informed that when the permanent organiser plans the route, he or she needs to plot the shortest possible route between control points, but if the route supplied is then 220k for example, what is to stop the entrant from simply collecting the start receipt and then driving 10k and riding from there and back to there which totals 200k and then driving back to the official finish point to collect the required receipt, especially if the first and last part of the ride are the same.

I know that this goes against the rules but.........Would'nt it be better if the AUK Rules were changed a little to include the line 'Riders must not deviate from the official (supplied) route'.

Organisers could then have events that were not massively over distance and a 200k would be just that.

« Reply #569 on: 20 March, 2014, 11:32:30 am »
call the police!!! :o :o :o

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #570 on: 20 March, 2014, 11:34:02 am »
And do us out of 20km of fine riding?

Heck - I have DIYs that are 50km over-distance - more miles, more smiles. 
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #571 on: 20 March, 2014, 11:36:39 am »
Rupert, would you like fries with these:

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #572 on: 20 March, 2014, 12:22:16 pm »
Hello Rupert,

There is plenty of scope to cheat but riders generally don't because there is little to be gained and plenty to be lost.

Routes are typically over distance by 5-10km/30 minutes saddle time, and thats not generally perceived as an issue (unless you're cold, wet and hungry, obvs),

The minimum distance approach means that if riders do abandon the routesheet by the time they get home they will have at least covered the event category distance whereas the mandatory route approach will tend to offer scope to undercut the event category distance, and that will never do. 

I hope that answers your question. Welcome aboard!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #573 on: 20 March, 2014, 05:34:27 pm »
My bike is parked outside the patio doors - I thus have a clear view of my bright red AUK mudguard sticker. With the new* logo, viewed from this odd angle, it looks quite like the Playboy bunny logo - and thus my mudguard looks a lot like those trrrrrucker mudflaps with naked bond-girl silhouette.

Can the team confirm:
Is this deliberate?
Will chicks dig it?
Will the upcoming logo revamp maintain this useful benefit?

*clearly not new enough, if we're getting it changed imminently; but there you go ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #574 on: 20 March, 2014, 10:18:31 pm »
My bike is parked outside the patio doors - I thus have a clear view of my bright red AUK mudguard sticker. With the new* logo, viewed from this odd angle, it looks quite like the Playboy bunny logo - and thus my mudguard looks a lot like those trrrrrucker mudflaps with naked bond-girl silhouette.

Can the team confirm:
Is this deliberate?
Nothing is deliberate in Audax. Each issue is given 38 pages of discussion on the internet followed by 12 hours at AGM and the conclusion is "Ah bollocks let's sort this out later."
Will chicks dig it?
Yes, but only if they dig odd angles.
Will the upcoming logo revamp maintain this useful benefit?
Only Audaxers could be interested in "stickers with benefits".
 :D

*clearly not new enough, if we're getting it changed imminently; but there you go ...
[/quote]
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.