Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3906521 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21600 on: 31 December, 2017, 05:01:20 pm »
The second flint in my fixed's front tyre prompted a diversion to the nearest railway station. Only having one tube with me did influence my decision. Less than 20km.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #21601 on: 31 December, 2017, 05:11:06 pm »
A pleasant 61km jaunt into the countryside to the west of York today. Out into what I was assured was merely a fresh breeze, (the met office lied!!) round such bustling metropoli (is that even a word?) as Boston Spa and Bramham to Thorner and back via Collingham and Wetherby to York. It was nice to see lots of cyclists out, until I remembered that it is Sunday!!

Sent from my KFAUWI using Tapatalk

Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #21602 on: 31 December, 2017, 06:00:59 pm »
For the first time in 15 months, yes. An 8 mile round trip, also the first outing of a new Brooks saddle.  Will be interesting to see what it feels like tomorrow when I’ll try again!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #21603 on: 31 December, 2017, 07:39:32 pm »
Friday was the last ride with Jonathan notp to Dinton pastures along a shortened route due to a late start. Today just a mile to the local shop and back . .I was riding in shorts today  ,  summer is coming  ;)
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #21604 on: 31 December, 2017, 08:11:02 pm »
Joined the local group for the first ride in months, unfortunately not fit enough to keep up so turned back after 6 miles. Observing a severe hail shower in mid afternoon, rather glad I did!

At least 12 miles seems to be more than others above have achieved today  :demon:

« Reply #21605 on: 01 January, 2018, 03:30:35 pm »
40k this morning. Some flooding some wet and muddy roads but the longest ride I've done for a while so good to be out. Had the first visitation of the year and thanks to the walkers who came to check I was ok. Generally those on foot seemed a friendlier bunch then the two wheeled community this morning who mostly ignored my greetings.

« Reply #21606 on: 01 January, 2018, 03:43:28 pm »
A (slightly) longer ride today, perhaps 15 miles. We were late up so I was latersetting off. Wore the same as yesterday - mitts, 3/4’s, shoes with cove covers. Hmmm that was just a bit cold!  A day off tomorrow (rain forecast, and a sore backside) so will dig out all the proper winter stuff I remembered today - boots, longs, woolly socks and long fingered gloves.  Will see just how windy it is Wednesday.

« Reply #21607 on: 01 January, 2018, 03:59:54 pm »
Lost my mojo a bit around mid-October then at the beginning of December went down with a very nasty winter virus whereby I didnt eat for the first 10-days.  Having finally recovered after 4-weeks I finally ventured out for the first time in almost 11-weeks and did 27 miles which totally destroyed me.  It really is such a horrible feeling to be so, so un-fit and just hope I can gradually get back into riding my bike again.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #21608 on: 01 January, 2018, 04:12:52 pm »
i've completed the festive1000 yesterday with a 72km ride, which was the shortest, but not the easiest by all means due to strong winds and cold rain. i chose to wear summer mitts and my fingers froze so much that i couldn't press the gps buttons! the bike behaved well throughout the challenge, not even a puncture while riding on flinty skoggy winter's lanes. 2017 was my biggest year of cycling!

« Reply #21609 on: 02 January, 2018, 08:58:57 pm »
Went out after dinner tonight with little Joe on has new 24" wheels and lit up more brightly than some houses at this time of year.  On our return leg we found our selves in the thick of a police operation, dogs, helicopter the lot.  Little Joe was most impressed to have the helicopters search beam sweeping over him.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21610 on: 03 January, 2018, 09:17:38 am »
You'd have been brighter that all the houses round here at 8 am this morning - no juice.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #21611 on: 04 January, 2018, 03:45:07 pm »
My first outing of the year, a rather dismal wind-blown 20 miles worth at an ave speed of 12.5 mph!
An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

« Reply #21612 on: 05 January, 2018, 05:14:39 pm »
My first outing of the year, a rather dismal wind-blown 20 miles worth at an ave speed of 12.5 mph!

Sounds just like my ride today, with the return half into the wind.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #21613 on: 07 January, 2018, 03:53:40 pm »
Up a mountain to 1000mtr & back, 51.7km.  First time up a proper mountain, longest continuous climb & descent I've done.  Highest I've ridden a bike and I got there from a sea level start.  Part of it was a cat 1 climb according to Strava.  All in all it really ought to feel like something special. 

Yet I keep coming back to the fact I can do a 51km & 1000mtr ride without leaving the forest.

Must try harder.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #21614 on: 07 January, 2018, 03:55:22 pm »
We set out but it was absolutely treacherous under wheel so we cut short and got home without incident.

« Reply #21615 on: 07 January, 2018, 04:17:21 pm »
A short trip out to Thorp Perrow arboretum where we can get into the cafe without having to pay the entry fee. Mrs. M asked for the soup/ sandwich combo having seen it on the children’s menu and as a result we were offered the pensioners special of small soup,half a sandwich , cake and hot drink.
All that for less than £7 each. Neither of us are pension age BTW.
40 miles round trip and more than one or two very dodgy bits due to ice.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21616 on: 07 January, 2018, 04:27:51 pm »
Up a mountain to 1000mtr & back, 51.7km.  First time up a proper mountain, longest continuous climb & descent I've done.  Highest I've ridden a bike and I got there from a sea level start.  Part of it was a cat 1 climb according to Strava.  All in all it really ought to feel like something special. 

Yet I keep coming back to the fact I can do a 51km & 1000mtr ride without leaving the forest.

Must try harder.
But, serious question, which feels harder to you?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #21617 on: 07 January, 2018, 04:54:09 pm »
I waited until 1:30 before going out, due to icy looking roads. Actual ride was ok tho, with mostly dry roads. Only 20 miles, and my feet (despite WoolyBooly socks and Northwave winter boots) were frozen when I got back. A change to ride out into the brisk North Easterly and have the wind at my back coming home. Still that’s only my 5th ride on nearly two years (all 5 being in the last fortnight) so no too bad.

SoreTween

« Reply #21618 on: 07 January, 2018, 06:37:39 pm »
But, serious question, which feels harder to you?
The forest easily.  There's some right steep bits on that route. 

The first 400mtr up this particular mountain accounted for the lions share of the distance and was only 4-5% once it got going.  From 400 up it was fairly consistent at 9% until the last hundred at around 11%.  Yet on a consistent climb like that you tick off 100mtr segments pretty quickly which is a great morale booster.  This time up I stopped for a photo every 100mtr climbed, next time I'll thin that out.   Psychologically knowing that at half distance all the work is done helps too.

I'm out of ideas on that bike at 14% and there's a couple of bits of that in the forest ride.  Plus the the climbs just keep on coming right to the end.  The route is called gratuitous for a reason!

handcyclist

• watch for my signal
« Reply #21619 on: 07 January, 2018, 08:34:49 pm »
.... Still that’s only my 5th ride on nearly two years (all 5 being in the last fortnight) so no too bad.

Welcome back  :thumbsup:
Doubt is is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

« Reply #21620 on: 07 January, 2018, 08:47:25 pm »
Round the tops. 50 minutes occasionally icy- but on forest tracks on the MTB it doesn't matter.

Then spent longer than that in the bath.

SoreTween

« Reply #21621 on: 08 January, 2018, 08:26:08 pm »
Set out for an easy spin along the pan flat coast road to clear the legs.  Did not go to plan.  Ended up flogging myself into the wind for 36:28 out, then flogging myself a little less on the return and still being 11 minutes faster.  Jelly legs & wobbly head.

Shorts & short sleeves, it's 19°C out there.

ETA: Bugger, I seem to have pulled something  :(

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21622 on: 09 January, 2018, 04:03:09 pm »
First of the year, an andante senza moto 77k with El Prez, who has a couple of trapped nerves and cervical-vertebra problems. Nothing noteworthy, other than much waiting at the tops of hills, and the bottom half of my front Raceblade falling off. I heard it, but like a twit I didn't look back to see what it was I'd just ridden over, so I didn't notice the damage until I got home. Oh well.

Coming down the penultimate hill I glanced down at the eTrex and saw that I was doing 69.5 kph. Pedalling like buggery put it up, very slowly, to 69.6 but it refused to go any further.  Ambling along on the flat a minute later I noticed that I was now doing 70.1 kph, and realized that I had been looking at the distance ridden. Colour me div.

Came into the house, lungs full of the beautiful air of the regional park we live in, to find that the missus had made broccoli soup and the house was full of the vile stench. :sick:

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21623 on: 10 January, 2018, 07:03:46 am »
Trundled the Brommie down to the station at something close to stupid o'clock. Still, even a train to Brum is better than a train to work.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21624 on: 11 January, 2018, 04:20:35 pm »
First 100k of the year. Set out to do a bit more but ran out of courage and cut for cake shop instead. Pleased with performance but I'll suffer for it tomorrow, if not sooner. Still in the afterglow at present.  Got rained on a couple of times, otherwise just a dull day with occasional sunshine on places I wasn't. Come to think of it:

PS afterglow has glew. Send more tea.