Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3814616 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21625 on: 11 January, 2018, 06:27:01 pm »
The first ride of any note since I bought a piano.

35 misty, moisty miles with the magnificent Jane.

I was glacially slow. And now I am knackered. There may be some sort of a ride report when I have had my dinner and a shower. But then it was that eventful I think I have just about covered everything!  :)

Oh, we saw a few kestrels and 1 buzzard for me, 2 for Jane. And a lot of bad driving.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #21626 on: 13 January, 2018, 05:14:46 pm »
Another down & up the coast road for 30km.  Beautiful sunset but cold.  Did go a wee bit native at a few of the gazillion traffic lights on the way back.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #21627 on: 13 January, 2018, 05:41:11 pm »
First ride after yet another long lay off. Went up the C2C path to Greenside which, from here, is a very gentle climb of 8 miles. Mmmm.... I don't seem to be going too badly, haven't lost all my fitness, I thought.
Then I turned around to come back down on the road through Burnhope and found myself pedalling into a headwind which made me realise I had lost all my fitness after all.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21628 on: 13 January, 2018, 10:06:57 pm »
Improbably, I managed to get a train to Nottingham (which was no longer on fire) for the Origami ride.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #21629 on: 14 January, 2018, 04:18:11 pm »
Quick thrash on the Kilauea.  No more chain slippage with the new middle ring.  It's basically perfect.  Rear wheel doesn't sit very central but it's dished correctly and it rides fine with no hands, so I'll ignore that.  Taiwanese factory tolerances.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

essexian

« Reply #21630 on: 14 January, 2018, 04:42:22 pm »
“They” say something like: “Winter miles makes summer smiles....” If this is true, then I will have a grin on my face come June but not much more as frankly, I can't cope with the cold anymore.

So, just 11 miles in 50 minutes or so but I felt that quality would be better than quantity and decided to do all the small hills within a couple of miles from home including the “Coppenhallburg,” Church Lane, the rise from Leverdale to Bradley then the climb up past Butterhill before finishing on the Col De King Cod.  Overall 700 foot of climbing.

The one thing that got me when I got back is that my Garmin said that my recovery time would be 48 hours and that my maximum heart rate was 178..... I don't think that's right as my pulse is back under 70 as it normally is....or, perhaps I don't understand what the figures on my Garmin actually mean (I think that more likely!)

SoreTween

« Reply #21631 on: 14 January, 2018, 05:20:26 pm »
Today was much more where I expect to be cresting a 1000m pass; near dead, grovelling, quite sweary, stopping every 50 mtrs...
30kms yesterday + 600mtrs of foothills today before the main climb + the final 250mtrs at 12% made the difference.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21632 on: 14 January, 2018, 06:05:20 pm »
Only a short shakedown spin on my trike. I might be getting the hang of getting it up a steep pinch and just need to be comfortable pushing it through the bendy bits.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21633 on: 14 January, 2018, 08:35:12 pm »
Was rudely awakened by someone stealing the duvet. Was about to have a strop when I realised it was light so decided to get up and get out.
Got myself well wrapped up and headed south on the A167 into a nithering wind. My plan was to ride into the wind until I got tired or bored then turn around and let the wind blow me home. The plan almost worked but after 39 miles I got the knock. I was grovelling badly, so badly I had to stop. This was ridiculous as I was now only a mile from home but couldn't turn the pedals one more revolution. Had five minutes rest whilst shoving a bar of chocolate down my neck which gave me enough energy to get up the hill to home.
Didn't see many others out - guess they were all at the cyclo cross at Hetton Lyons.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21634 on: 14 January, 2018, 09:47:23 pm »
Thinking about how lucky I am to live where I do.

Now, nearly all my cycling in the last 4 months has been in that cyclists' paradise of the Netherlands.  You know.  That place with dedicated cycle lanes everywhere and even cycle lanes around roundabouts where the traffic coming off the roundabout gives way to the cyclist.  Freaks me out.  Every time.  Even after 4 months.  I've joined a local club run, Lola Cycles, who hammer up the path through the dunes to Noordwijk every night and return to drink excellent beer in the Cafe du Gare.  But I'm missing something.

Ever since I've been working all week ever week away, I've promised Mrs CET that I won't go out on the bike at weekends.  I've gone running instead, which takes less time, culminating in the Dartmoor Winter Traverse last week. 

I went out this evening and I realised I was missing something.  It wasn't the potholed North Hampshire roads, which are become more treacherous every year, or the occasional driver who believes that either they or I are issued with Ministry of Magic vehicles that naturally shrink to avoid collisions (there were many very good drivers who stopped in passing places to let me pass). 

It was hills.  The route out through Up Nately, Greywell, Odiham to Roke Farm, Crondall, Ewshot, and back via Dora's Green, Well, Long Sutton, and Upton Grey has hills.  Mostly short ones, some which can be blasted on the big ring, others that need more care.  And descents.  Suddenly all those technical skills that have been in abeyance for four months came back, holding momentum as best as possible whilst dodging the potholes, and timing that little blast of power to kill a short rise, working the gears to keep the heart rate just below maximum on the constantly changing gradient past Oak Park and, on the way back, judging the terrifying right hander at the bottom of the 10% descent in Tunworth.  I've got all this on my doorstep.  No Alps.  No cobbles.  No dedicated cycle paths.  But just some sinuous tarmac through rolling farmland, perfect for resetting the heart and mind.

Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

SoreTween

« Reply #21635 on: 21 January, 2018, 04:55:09 pm »
Over the mountain pass again.  It seems to be called the Passo del Vestito if the spray paint on the mountain is to be believed.  That name turns up in searches but mostly just attached to videos of dickheads riding motorbikes like dickheads so it could be an unofficial name.

I climbed heading east and without killing myself in the foothills just like two weeks ago and took 25 minutes off my climb time.  Most of that will be down to far less stops but it did feel like I was out of bottom gear more.  Coming down the east side is much more flowing but no faster than the west side.  Spent quite a bit of the way down looking for a way past a Fiat 500 Abarth who had given up all hope of passing the A class holding us both back.

« Reply #21636 on: 23 January, 2018, 04:00:58 pm »
Bust my chain.  Just cycled up one of York's toughest hills - The Mount - and was taking off at the lights when there was a loud crack and no forward progress.  It's not an old chain, either.

Doubly annoying because last Saturday was climbing another of the local slopes when my utility bike suffered a power loss.  The rear sprocket is kaputt.  Apparently they made them out of aluminium, Evans Cycles says, and it wasn't tough enough.  Now they are stainless steel and cost £95 >:(  Will take 2 weeks from Japan.

Only two bikes left now.
Move Faster and Bake Things

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21637 on: 23 January, 2018, 04:11:37 pm »
Spent quite a bit of the way down looking for a way past a Fiat 500 Abarth who had given up all hope of passing the A class holding us both back.

In such circumstances a chum of mine once overtook a bus on the outside of a blind bend in the rain at 75 kph. At least, that's the speed I was doing at the time, behind the bus. He's still alive and well and living in the South of France, the jammy sod.

Anyway, the GPX of my tootle OTD heißt Track_2018-01-23 154933_BouxIngwDzUnfastMartyredBum_82k.gpx, Boux being Bouxwiller where we lunched, Ingw being Ingwiller where we coffeed and CAEKED, DZ being El Prez and the martyred bum being mine, in a new pair of Torquemada Rösti* shorts. I'm sitting here now in the Underpants of Contrition with a pound and a half of cream upon my southern discomfort.

In Boux we had a kebab in a pleasant little Turkish restaurant, which was soon invaded by a bunch of louts from the local school, one of whom sounded like a loud French Forrest Gump on speed. Such was the racket that we decided to have our coffee in Ingw, only to find a bunch of old bats in residence, yakking away at 90 dB. On t'other side of us a woman was trying to carry on a conversation all the way across the room.  I've heard quieter pigs being slaughtered; and at least the chops were excellent.

So that was that. We did a few hills on the way back but our hearts weren't in it. Roll on spring. I'm going to have another cuppa.**

*not made of bashed spuds, which might have been comfier.

** No sooner had I posted this than the missus walked in and set a cup of tea down beside me. That's what I call a perfect marriage.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21638 on: 27 January, 2018, 08:06:17 pm »
having finally finished rebuilding the 26" front wheel, I took the recumbent out for a spin today, first of the winter.

Boy are my 'bent legs a bit lacking! I know it was blowing a howling SW'erly but that doesn't excuse that kind of performance.  It was also cold, drizzly with heavier showers, and with mud all over the back roads from the farmers bringing in the beet.  Am I selling it yet?

In the end, instead of a planned 50-55km/2hours, I rerouted and came in just over 40k.  Last year I think I did about a third of my total mileage on the recumbent, I want that higher this year.  Thinking about next week's ACME Anvil final ride of the series, I dont think my legs will quite be there by then.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #21639 on: 28 January, 2018, 05:16:02 pm »
Out to Grappenhall over the cobbles then Appleton Thorn where I discovered I'd forgot my bottle and wallet so decided to sod this for a game of soldiers. 34km.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21640 on: 28 January, 2018, 05:38:25 pm »
Trundled the trike out to Chesham to lunch with a large gathering of the Marlboro. Zigzagged part of the return with Derek and spent some time chatting near home with a bloke in a wheelchair.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21641 on: 28 January, 2018, 07:06:05 pm »
Down to Osmotherley and round some tracks in t'Moors - mostly poorly-chosen, so I enjoyed some pleasant strolls. Back to tarmac at Rag Robin Turn, and it was an inch thick in mud all the way to Delf Lane. But a quick ride back to Darlington and an enjoyably mild day.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21642 on: 30 January, 2018, 03:23:08 pm »
47k & first col of the year, our local Col du Pigeonnier which we used to describe as a false flat but it doesn't feel like that any more, at least not to me. Had a sandwich down t'other side in Wissembourg then home over 300 vertical metres worth of lumps for a total climb just shy of 700m. Damn near killed myself, not entirely sure I didn't yet.  Miserably grey & misty, 7°C most of the way so boiled on the climbs and froze on the downhills. Great fun - I ought to do this at least once a week.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #21643 on: 03 February, 2018, 02:33:58 pm »
Yes, to parts of York I wouldn't normally go.  It never stopped raining so got very damp and also decided that the local roads are in the worst state I have ever known.  Shan't be sorry to get back to France in March.   
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #21644 on: 04 February, 2018, 07:59:43 pm »
First and almost certainly the last official outing for a while, the regular randonnée and pancakes at Chateauponsac. This year I was on a mtb as there was no road circuit, due to a lack of participants in recent years. It was very muddy but the light snow forecast didn't materialize. I started on the 25km circuit, missed an arrow so that I cut out a big loop (with the ravito on it, which meant that, unknown to me, people went looking for me), then, after much muddiness, I missed another arrow, followed a road to nowhere, retraced to find the missing arrow and decided to cut for the pancakes. (In all honesty the knee was starting to complain a bit so it was about time). I rode for 2-2 1/2 hours at a very slow pace. Decided that I really prefer riding on the road! - but won't give up on the mtb just yet.

Knee job in 15 days so this was the only chance probably until after the summer recess.

« Reply #21645 on: 04 February, 2018, 09:15:22 pm »
A slow 35km this afternoon. It wasn’t too bad as I had a tailwind home, but my toes were completely frozen by the time I got back. That’ll be the last outing for the week methinks, as it’s getting colder and the wind isn’t easing much. Off to the shed tomorrow!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #21646 on: 04 February, 2018, 09:23:44 pm »
A very cold 32 miles with Sustrans which seemed to be hard work due to the temp and NE wind including hail. How Steve performs, as he does day after day, I just can't imagine.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

SoreTween

« Reply #21647 on: 11 February, 2018, 03:43:36 pm »
Set out over my usual mountain intending to go part way down the far side then investigate an interesting off road path back to the summit.  875m of climbing later I found this:

About face and down to San Carlo Terme for a pause to take in the view:

I wasn't going to quit until I had over a 1000m done and would quite like to have done 1500m. So I reset the garmin and headed off in a different direction I'd seen cyclists taking a few times.  At about 1100m for the day I found this (that's someone's driveway on the left):

At which point I took the hint and headed back to the hotel.

Oblig strava:
Strada chiusa 1
Strada chiusa 2

« Reply #21648 on: 11 February, 2018, 05:19:37 pm »
Club run this morning - first actual outdoor ride for me in over a month! Fortunately, the forecast snow didn't materialise until much later in the day (about 10 minutes ago, in fact) and the weather was surprisingly pleasant this morning - a bit cold, but I'd erred on the side of pessimism and was actually overheating. It was good to get outside again, even if I'd forgotten how annoying potholes and headwinds are.

« Reply #21649 on: 11 February, 2018, 10:53:00 pm »
First and almost certainly the last official outing for a while, the regular randonnée and pancakes at Chateauponsac. This year I was on a mtb as there was no road circuit, due to a lack of participants in recent years. It was very muddy but the light snow forecast didn't materialize. I started on the 25km circuit, missed an arrow so that I cut out a big loop (with the ravito on it, which meant that, unknown to me, people went looking for me), then, after much muddiness, I missed another arrow, followed a road to nowhere, retraced to find the missing arrow and decided to cut for the pancakes. (In all honesty the knee was starting to complain a bit so it was about time). I rode for 2-2 1/2 hours at a very slow pace. Decided that I really prefer riding on the road! - but won't give up on the mtb just yet.

Knee job in 15 days so this was the only chance probably until after the summer recess.

Best of luck with your knee mzjo  :thumbsup: Knees is bastards.