Author Topic: Great Britain gets its own 5,000 km-plus ultracycling race  (Read 2784 times)

Re: Great Britain gets its own 5,000 km-plus ultracycling race
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 03:13:07 am »
I confess I didn't think their statements about cycle racing, as noted above, inspired confidence.

The implication of their cancellation piece - that they hadn't realised insurance would be a good ideanecessary, and couldn't be arsed dealing with it (or perhaps couldn't find an appropriate policy easily) - doesn't exactly change my mind.

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 11:06:46 am »
Spot on.  Anco de Jong had 2 hours on LEL.  I suppose it could be argued that he knows his capabilities and is very experienced but it's interesting to wonder how he gained that experience!  I'm really uneasy about sleep deprivation being spoken about in ride reports as if it was something we should get used to.  I suffer from sleep deprivation in normal life, never mind on events -but hallucinations?  No, that's just too much silliness.  I'd really like to have done LEL so I suppose I should be grateful that fate has thus far prevented this.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 11:41:50 am »
The blurb on that ride was concerning - 100 miles of off-road? If the riders were supposed to have bikes that could deal with that then they are going to struggle with getting round 5,000km so fast.
If you don't like your democracy, vote against it.

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 04:48:29 pm »
If an organiser wants to put on a race of this kind and if riders want to ride it, then it seems there ought to be no impediment to it. Clearly it isn't for everyone, but there are those who like to challenge themselves for whatever their own special interests are, whether climbing mountains, diving deep into the oceans, sailing or whatever floats their boats. If you are a cyclist looking for a challenge, the usual TT's etc don't fit the bill. Is it dangerous, does the event give other riders on public roads a bad name, is it lawful? All good questions, but living is dangerous with a 100% mortality rate and yet still humans go on doing it over and over again.

As long as the risks are known, I see no problem. Thousands are killed on the roads by cars and lorries every year, but driving goes on and no one is suggesting stopping it.

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 06:00:39 pm »
Yes.

...but, unfortunately, a lot of people would probably be eager to suggest stopping road cycling.

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 09:56:38 pm »
Yes.

...but, unfortunately, a lot of people would probably be eager to suggest stopping road cycling.

And running an illegal ( cycle racing on the highway legislation),uninsured event with no risk assessment will give those who want to ban alll events on the highways every evidence they need.
To repeat myself, many have worked very hard to get to where we are now - from a situation where ALL events were illegal. We really don’t need maverick “ events” taking us back in time!

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 10:15:53 pm »
Why do you say it is 'illegal' and why do you call it maverick? Do you actually understand the event?

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 10:22:08 pm »
Why do you say it is 'illegal' and why do you call it maverick? Do you actually understand the event?

Here's a starter: http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/road-racing-in-england.html?m=1

I reckon GP understands it pretty well. There's a reason the TCR doesn't include the UK.

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 10:23:13 pm »
Just looked. Event cancelled over legal and insurance issues.

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 10:32:28 pm »

Here's a starter: http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/road-racing-in-england.html?m=1

I reckon GP understands it pretty well. There's a reason the TCR doesn't include the UK.

You could summarise rather than taking the route of requiring the reader to scroll and scroll. Just saying. Sorry, didn't take the time to read all the posts on that thread to find out your meaning.

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 10:33:58 pm »
Fair enough. Your loss.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 10:34:45 pm »
The link is a blogpost, not a thread, that explains the legal situation regarding cycle road racing in the UK quite well.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

C-3PO

• Human-cyborg relations
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 10:52:40 pm »

You could summarise rather than taking the route of requiring the reader to scroll and scroll. Just saying. Sorry, didn't take the time to read all the posts on that thread to find out your meaning.

Master, may I respectfully suggest that you read most, if not all posts on a thread before replying to it.

Furthermore asking a poster to summarise something else just for you is not excellent behaviour. Please read the forum rules, you may not have seen them yet.

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 11:40:33 pm »
"Master, may I respectfully suggest that you read most, if not all posts on a thread before replying to it."

Rude you are you obsolete piece of tin. Remember, you can be dismantled and sold for scrap, you ridiculous droid.   

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 06:06:13 am »
And with a few key presses you can cease to have ever existed...

;)