Author Topic: York Rally 2018  (Read 4911 times)

Re: York Rally 2018
« Reply #25 on: 19 June, 2018, 07:32:53 pm »
I was really hoping to get to York this year but I do not have the fund's for the fortnight traveling there and back . I suspect that going there and back by train would be just as expensive and problematic so I wish you all a great rally .I am looking forward to Lot's of pictures  :)
the slower you go the more you see

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #26 on: 19 June, 2018, 09:36:48 pm »
I will be there both days and will bring my velomobile.  I'm hoping to give it the beans around the velodrome; my BHPC endeavours are more or less at zero so far on account of the number of races being held up this way being exactly equal to the number of cars I own: 0.  :(
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #27 on: 20 June, 2018, 01:16:44 pm »
We got tickets as soon as the early booking opened but can't make it now due to not enough holidays available for planned holidays at my new job  :(
Have a great time all and see you next year :thumbsup:

« Reply #28 on: 24 June, 2018, 11:31:36 am »
Are people around today? I've lost track. Thinking of wandering down but wouldn't be until 1ish
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #29 on: 25 June, 2018, 04:36:26 pm »
Sorry, didn't see that post until this morning.

Relatively low YACF turnout at the rally this year.  Felt like a low turnout generally, with rather a lot of pre-booked but empty pitches.  The trade show etc. seemed underwhelming, but I think we've all established that most of us go there as a social event, so that doesn't really matter that much.

I quite liked the idea of doing a 'grand parade' around the racing track, though the first I'd heard of it was in the programme, and several people I spoke to had missed it entirely.  Perhaps a bit more forward planning (and a time more compatible with people being off-site during the day on rides) next year could get more people to take part - I for one would love to see groups of children of all ages, tandemistas, tricyclists, bromptoneers, darksiders, etc represented - would make for some good photos!

In a break from tradition, I was racing rushing about with the BHPC on Sunday, so was actually around for the rally on Saturday.  It's much the same as Sunday, only more things are happening, and people a bit less tired and smelly.

The weather was scorchio throughout, with sensible amounts of wind.  Got a bit chilly on Friday night.  Got a bit sunburned on Sunday (a lot of this was the velodrome's fault, for having excatly zero shade).

Comedy highlight was probably watching the look on people's faces as they discovered the refurbished toilet block for the first time.  On which note I can't thank the organisers enough for their determined and seemingly continuous effort to keep them clean and well-stocked with loo roll, it's really appreciated!

Comedy lowlight was the water supply for the shower cockup (the usual supply wasn't available, so an inadequate trickle was sourced by a very long hose, leading to sudden-death header tank depletion).  Naturally this got me just as I was covered in shampoo.  A helpful organiser rescued me with an extra towel, and I managed to rinse off in the toilet sinks.  As a work-around for the inadequate supply, they had to lock out some of the shower cubicles, causing queueueueues.

The traditional wacky races ride to clarion's local (pub) went ahead as usual, though clarion himself wasn't actually in attendance, on account of having just got back from a visit to his local (bike shop) instead.  I note the tree root damage on the planets path is much worse than last time I rode it, though that's partially my fault for bringing an Optima Baron rather than something sensible like an ICE Adventure HD.

I appear to be the only one who actually noticed CrinklyUncle testing his bivvy, and only due to fortuitous bladder timing.

On the other hand, I failed to spot any arrow riders, and - citing general lethargy - I foolishly didn't go to Cycle Heaven for CAKE.

I did pop into the CrinklyDen on my way to the station this morning, and was proven right when EldestCub managed to ride my bike without any drama (he'd mastered the Streetmachine some years ago).  I think we're going to need to try him on an ordinary or wobblebike or unicycle or something next.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #30 on: 25 June, 2018, 06:54:30 pm »

That's his first attempt.  There may be video...

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #31 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:32:42 pm »

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #32 on: 26 June, 2018, 12:07:42 pm »
Good show, EldestCub!  :thumbsup:

I'm more or less recovered from the weekend now, as driving long distances in hot weather and faulty A/C in the car seems to tire me out, and although the A19 north from York was altogether quieter and quicker than the A1, the A68 wasn't really.  But the picnic lunch stop at Derwent Reservoir was lovely, and nine hours' sleep last night on a big mattress and a pillow not made of rolled-up Hummvees was luxury.

A relaxed pootle from my campsite to the race course turned into a right hammer down endeavour after somehow getting lost in Bishopthorpe and then pointing the velomobile at the big roads instead of NCN65.  Parked up at the BHPC tent, chatted with Jeff and Shawn, and immediately resorted to handing out copies of my Quick Reference Guide™ to save me answering the same questions over and over, like I did last year.

How fast does it go? Is it electric? Can you fit in there? Do you need a flag? I think you need a flag. How much did it cost? Where did you get it? Did you build it? Are you allowed to ride it on the road? Can you carry anything? Can I sit in it? Is it yours? Does it have pedals? Does it have two wheels? What happens when it rains? Does it have lights? Do drivers see you?

The trade tent seemed smaller than ever, perhaps even than last year; certainly smaller than the halcyon commercial days of the York Cycle Show, but even the food tent seemed only to have beer at one end and Little Bao Boy at the other.  I wandered around the clothing and accessories stalls and recognised some end of line stuff that was there last year. Some of the Polaris seconds range was nice – I liked the pink/purple/red jerseys with the triangle pattern – but I have no need for back pockets.  The spread of used bicycle components was tempting, mainly for having an original Shimano Deore XT rear dérailleur with the deer emblem on it, for just £5.

Good to catch up with some yACFers after lunch at TJ and Nye's tent (sorry I missed you, Butterfly) and a couple of others whose faces are familiar but whose names I have completely forgotten.  :-[  It's a shame when life gets in the way, and a few other faces were notable by their absence.

Lee and I rode together to ye olde pubbe, and tried to avert the rush for food by going straight to the bar instead of hanging about and being sociable. But the blackboard said the food was the steak buffet, which was
  • apparently the only thing available; and
  • depleted
so we lost our advantage of time by having to ask the staff when the buffet would be undepleted again. I decided quantity was more important than variety, and got stuck in anyway. Howard and miniHoward waited five minutes more and got a whole plateful of more interesting food, while I was happy with cheesy pasta and salad and onion rings and rice and gloop.  A good time was had by all.  Lee and I rode back to my campsite for a bit of friendly Milan SL vs Quest on gorgeous tarmac.  He then rode back to his campsite, and I hid in the car to escape the flies which had seemingly erupted in their thousands from thin air and were battering against the windscreen and windows, until the temperature dropped enough for them to go elsewhere and I could make a run for it to the toilet block.

Sunday morning I discovered my foot was covered in bites, and my arm, and one huge bite in my back.  Unlike Scotland, pharmacies in York don't seem to open on Sundays, until lunchtime nearly, or at all.  I found one on the north side of town, but Google maps took me down the Shambles and made me get lost again.  Still, it was nice to see the Minster close-up again, even though I was a bit late getting out of town.

Then to the race track!  Whereupon I realised I hadn't brought my helmet.  No lid, no race, so I took photographs instead and generally cooked in the sunshine.  Fortunately Mike Burrows was more sensible than me and gave me some of his suntan lotion (which, I have discovered today, worked a treat).  While low racers and streamliners cranked over in the hairpins makes for great photos, velomobiles and trikes are (usually) entirely planted and stable, so I played with wide angle stuff.  The velodrome, as Kim pointed out, has no shade.  In fact, it does, if you crouch behind the lighting columns.  I made do and turned myself periodically so that at least I'd burn evenly.

Kim lent me her helmet at the end of the session so that I could take my Quest around the velodrome.  Shawn did the timing for me, so I did one lap on the level, realised I was going too fast to build up any more speed so hooked up for one lap on the banking to get the feel of it—unlike a bicycle, three wheels needs 20-25mph for safe riding, and my Quest is quite softly sprung—and then fired in one hot lap. Andrew shouted at me to keep going because the times were good, so I dumped everything I had into my legs and tried again.  I'm not sure I could do that pace all day, put it that way, but both Shawn and Mike were very complimentary.

Back to normality after that, back to my tent for showering and putting on civvies.  Lee, Howard, miniHoward and I met up in town for a meal, then a walk in the sunshine, then back for ice creams, and then home, and a jolly good time was had by all.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #33 on: 27 June, 2018, 07:40:24 am »
Seen on Sunday pressing determinedly through the heat, well known YACFer aboard the Red Baron:

FlightOfTheBaron by John Jackson, on Flickr

York Sport Village velodrome, there was a guided ride out through York's cycleways from York Rally.

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #34 on: 27 June, 2018, 01:36:35 pm »
Ah, Kim! I believe we spoke on Sunday when I was unlocking the power cabinet in our velodrome. I was the gormless looking bugger in the LEL volunteers' jersey, armed with a bunch of keys.
Had I realised at the time, I would have introduced myself!
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #35 on: 27 June, 2018, 03:05:40 pm »
Seen on Sunday pressing determinedly through the heat, well known YACFer aboard the Red Baron:

FlightOfTheBaron by John Jackson, on Flickr

York Sport Village velodrome, there was a guided ride out through York's cycleways from York Rally.
There's a LeeW not far away!
Getting there...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #36 on: 27 June, 2018, 03:19:33 pm »