Author Topic: Silverstone 24 hour  (Read 2800 times)

Silverstone 24 hour
« on: 30 March, 2013, 06:57:16 pm »
I'm thinking of having a go at this, just for a bit of fun, but treating it as a race.
It's a 24 hour event at Silverstone race track, so a closed circuit with no traffic.
Can be ridden solo or as a team.
Not sure if helmets are compulsory or not and not too sure if tri bars are permitted.
A bit expensive IMO at £200 entry, but not that bad I suppose.

I've never ridden a sportive before...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Silverstone 24 hour
« Reply #1 on: 30 March, 2013, 11:27:20 pm »
tri-bars not allowed, I'm told. (bunch riding allowed)

(And yes, £200 IS expensive - but treat yourself, it's your first sportive. And probably your local event!)

IMHO: Im not keen - Silverstone is boring enough to drive round, let alone cycle.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2 on: 30 March, 2013, 11:52:52 pm »
Well, I think doing any circuit less than 10 miles for 24 hours won't be a tourist ride, which is why I'd race it.

I could always do it on fixed.
 :D

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #3 on: 31 March, 2013, 12:09:44 pm »
Well, I think doing any circuit less than 10 miles for 24 hours won't be a tourist ride, which is why I'd race it.

I could always do it on fixed.
 :D

We ran a MacRide event at Silverstone a couple of years ago (entry cost was IIRC £5!) ... rode round and round for a couple of hours on my fixed - boring!. 

What was deceptive was the effect of the wind ... the whole place is pan flat with open country all around - some buffering from the buildings but dramatic differences depending whether you were into or against the wind.

Rob

« Reply #4 on: 31 March, 2013, 01:23:45 pm »
We ran a MacRide event at Silverstone a couple of years ago (entry cost was IIRC £5!) ... rode round and round for a couple of hours on my fixed - boring!. 

That's why I'd treat it as a full on race and not a tour or Audax. Plus it could be a good atmosphere. I've also ridden PBP and that certainly wasn't for scenic value!
Even then, it might get tedious, but unless I try it, I'll never know for sure.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:05:50 pm »
Cancelled. :(

http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/sportives/article/sp20130805--Silverstone-24-Cycling-Grand-Prix-cancellation-statement-0

Sounds like the company involved have a dubious track record (sorry).

(News from RossBD,  posted on the DPCC forum).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #6 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:18:14 pm »
From other fora, it all sounded pretty dodgy.

They'd had 700 entries - which, to me, sounds like quite a lot for a 24hr ride (I know some of those will be relay teams etc., but that still sounds like a pretty succesful number to me) - but it was significantly short of their target and they couldn't meet their obligations to Silverstone.

Shame, but goes to show the demand for endurance events is there.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:20:54 pm »
Shame, but goes to show the demand for endurance events is there.
If 6hours=Endurance!  :D

I think there's a unique allure to the 24h format. The night-riding puts a lot of people off, but MTBers love that (it's an excuse to spend £2k on lights), and a closed road must remove a lot of the concerns. (Did they even need lights at Silverstone? )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:21:57 pm »
I think there's a unique allure to the 24h format. The night-riding puts a lot of people off, but MTBers love that (it's an excuse to spend £2k on lights)

Hence why there are several 24h MTB events around!

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #9 on: 06 August, 2013, 04:23:39 pm »
indeed!

There's also quite a few running events - still mainly relays. (also off-road of course).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #10 on: 06 August, 2013, 07:31:48 pm »
I saw the announcement and wasn't surprised - what I did doubt was 700 entries ... at the price being charged??

Assuming there were 700 entrants and they have all paid then the refund process is going to be interesting.

Rob

« Reply #11 on: 06 August, 2013, 11:29:43 pm »
I saw the announcement and wasn't surprised - what I did doubt was 700 entries ... at the price being charged??

Really?
I thought it was cheap considering it was Silverstone.
It cost me about £20 to run a half marathon on Silverstone with several thousand runners.
At least 1000 riders sounds about right for that sort of entry fee on a premium venue like Silverstone.